Trying to get 5.1 sound thru Optical on Samsung Smart TV

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
This thread goes hand in hand with this one I just posted under HTPC.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2270328

In order to get Smart TV apps sound from my reciever I had to run Optical from TV> Reciever. However, the sounds quality is MUCH worse on Netflix compared to Movies on cable etc.

It seems like I'm only getting 2 channel audio from Samsung TV?

Is there any ways to get 5.1/DTS for SmartTV apps?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
does the TV support an audio return channel over HDMI because AFAIK most (all") TVs only do 2 channel over the optical out. i have the same issue with my panasonic plasma
not even sure HDMI will do it over ARC but its all i can think of

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
His receiver is one or two steps below one that handles audio over HDMI. So he's stuck with whatever the TV natively downmixes to. TVs that maintain 5.1 mixing while converting from HDMI -> Optical/Coax are incredibly rare (I've yet to see one).

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I don't have any HDMI wires going to my receiver at all. In this case, Source is the actual TV (SmartTV software) I just need to bring it in 5.1 format to my reviver.

That's what I've been reading too (about 2 channel only), but I did find this (not my model but still a Samsung)

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber...3328342!1761676444!7501!-1!NONE!1259435613024

I believe this is the TV I have, seems like Samsung states that it does send 5.1

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000636&fm_seq=804

This SOMEWHAT answers the question...perhaps
If the source is a digital component such as a DVD player, and you have connected the source and the TV using HDMI, and then connected the TV to your Home Theater using Digital Optical connections, you will hear only two channel sound from the Home Theater. Your TV can not transmit 5.1 channel audio from an HDMI digital source through the Optical connection.

But the source is SMART TV (TV itself)...so probably doesn't apply (not sure)

Chatting with Samsung rep, and they seem to confirm it

Angelina: Hi, thanks for reaching out to Samsung tech support. How can I help you today?
Visitor: Hi Angelina
Visitor: I have the following TV
Visitor: UN46D6420U
Visitor: and I'm having issues getting 5.1/DTS for SMART TV apps on my reciever after I connected Optical Out on the TV
Visitor: so the question is
Visitor: does my TV send 5.1 thru Optical? Or is it 2 channel only?
Visitor: Note the source is SmartTV apps (not DVD or PC etc)
Angelina: Please allow me to go through the inquiry.
Visitor: In this link http://www.samsung.com/us/support/SupportOwnersFAQPopup.do?faq_id=FAQ00000636&fm_seq=804
Visitor: I found that if the source is DVD thru HDMI then Optical will not pass 5.1 only 2 channel
Visitor: but my source is SMART TV itself
Visitor: seems like Netflix app etc is not 5.1/DTS :(
Angelina: I understand that you want to know if you can get 5.1 channel sound using optical cable on the home theater. Is that correct?
Visitor: For SmartTV apps (specifically) yes
Angelina: Thank you for confirming.
Angelina: Yes, you can get 5.1 channel surround sound using optical cable.

Last edited:

DirkW

Dec 30, 2012
In order to get 5.1 theater sound when you are using the Smart Apps on your TV, like Netflix, your A/V Receiver must have what is called ARC (Audio Return Channel). Its the latest HDMI Version 1.4. Most or all new Smart TV's have this, but your receiver must have it as well. I ran into the same issues with my new Smart TV when I tried streaming Netflix movies and couldn't get the 5.1 surround. You can use the digital audio (optical) cable connected from the TV to the receiver. Yes, only 2 channel audio, but unless you spend another few or several hundred bucks on a new A/V receiver, its your best option if you must use the Smart TV apps. I quit using the Smart TV apps and use my Blu-Ray DVD player instead to stream the Netflix movies to get full 5.1 theater sound. You'll never catch up with technology unless you have deep pockets and stay current with everything.

http://hometheater.about.com/od/hometheaterglossary/g/Audio-Return-Channel-Arc.htm

Last edited:

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
My sharp LC-60LE632U is nothing special and outputs 5.1 Dolby Digital audio over optical just fine using the TV's Netflix app.

TV Specs

The optical output format can be set to either PCM or Dolby Digital. If set to PCM, I only get a stereo signal.

Also note,
Page 15
"Optical digital audio will be output in 2-ch stereo when it is from the external equipment connected to the TV using an HDMI cable.

OP make sure the content is 5.1 and your audio digital output is set to dolby digital, NOT PCM.

Clintinz

Jul 16, 2013
I have a 1978 Marantz 2285b receiver that I have my samsung smart tv plugged into through the headphone jack but the remote control doesn't control the volume. So the only other audio out is the optical. If I get a converter will the volume control ( through the TV ) control the volume though the amp?

Durvelle27

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2012
My sharp LC-60LE632U is nothing special and outputs 5.1 Dolby Digital audio over optical just fine using the TV's Netflix app.

TV Specs

The optical output format can be set to either PCM or Dolby Digital. If set to PCM, I only get a stereo signal.

Also note,
Page 15
"Optical digital audio will be output in 2-ch stereo when it is from the external equipment connected to the TV using an HDMI cable.

OP make sure the content is 5.1 and your audio digital output is set to dolby digital, NOT PCM.
My Vizio E3D320VX also outputs Dobly Digital 5.1 over Optical