Trying to connect xbox 360 to router to get internet on the xbox 360

Cpus

Apr 20, 2012
Using a cat5e ethernet patch cable to connect the the xbox 360 to the router. the router nor the xbox 360 will recognize it. Any help? thanks.

Cpus

Apr 20, 2012
the router is a linksys WRT54GS2 V1. also when i go to my ip adress webpage for the router it says DHCP is enabled but when i do ipconfig/all in cmd prompt it says dDHCP is disabled.

imagoon

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2003
ipconfig /all saying DHCP is disabled means DHCP is disabled on the computer. ipconfig won't show you anything about the router config.

Do the LED's turn on when you plug in the xbox? Have you tried another cable? Make sure you are not using a crossover cable. Since your computer works, plug the xbox in to that cable and test the xbox. Make sure that you haven't unchecked Ethernet in the xbox config also.

Cpus

Apr 20, 2012
thanks. None of your suggestions worked though. :(. and yes it is an ethernet patch cable cat5e

Cabletek

Sep 30, 2011
the router is a linksys WRT54GS2 V1. also when i go to my ip adress webpage for the router it says DHCP is enabled but when i do ipconfig/all in cmd prompt it says dDHCP is disabled.

Step 1, power cycle modem to clear mac address memory.
Step 2, power cycle router AFTER modem locks in, aka give it 10 minutes to be sure, go make a sandwich or something.

Cabletek

Sep 30, 2011
there are several possibilities, maybe you did nto config the router for the iSP correctly ie older dsl has PPPOE and you have to set that up and provide a username and password, its generally a software app on a computer, the router has a config section, etc.. And your sure its a router and not a switch or something, most residential ISP's just give you one IP address and the first device to get a connection to a non-gateway device is the winner, it i will connect no others will if you ahve a gateway device it gets the IP and manages your private network allowing multiple devices to connect through the ONE PUBLIC ip the isp offers.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
I assume by the fact that you are posting here that you do have working internet and that your PC is connected to the same router that you are trying to connect the XBOX to. Is this correct? If so, how is your PC connected to the router? Wirelessly or wired?

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
by an ethernet cable so its wired

Ok good. Take the cable out of the PC and connect it to the XBox, but do not unplug the cable from the router. If that works your other cable is bad. If it doesn't work then we are at least narrowing down what the problem could be.

Be sure to reboot the XBox after connecting the cable, or go into the XBox settings and be sure it's configured to work with wired network.

Cpus

Apr 20, 2012
Tried it on another router not set up to a computer and it isn't recognized. I guess the port is faulty.