Trying to connect xbox 360 to router to get internet on the xbox 360

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Cpus, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

Using a cat5e ethernet patch cable to connect the the xbox 360 to the router. the router nor the xbox 360 will recognize it. Any help? thanks.

2. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

the router is a linksys WRT54GS2 V1. also when i go to my ip adress webpage for the router it says DHCP is enabled but when i do ipconfig/all in cmd prompt it says dDHCP is disabled.

3. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

ipconfig /all saying DHCP is disabled means DHCP is disabled on the computer. ipconfig won't show you anything about the router config.

Do the LED's turn on when you plug in the xbox? Have you tried another cable? Make sure you are not using a crossover cable. Since your computer works, plug the xbox in to that cable and test the xbox. Make sure that you haven't unchecked Ethernet in the xbox config also.

4. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

thanks. None of your suggestions worked though. :(. and yes it is an ethernet patch cable cat5e

5. Cabletek

Cabletek Member

Step 1, power cycle modem to clear mac address memory.
    Step 2, power cycle router AFTER modem locks in, aka give it 10 minutes to be sure, go make a sandwich or something.

6. remixedcat

remixedcat Member

is it showing up in the connected devices status screen of the router's config page?

7. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

8. Cabletek

Cabletek Member

there are several possibilities, maybe you did nto config the router for the iSP correctly ie older dsl has PPPOE and you have to set that up and provide a username and password, its generally a software app on a computer, the router has a config section, etc.. And your sure its a router and not a switch or something, most residential ISP's just give you one IP address and the first device to get a connection to a non-gateway device is the winner, it i will connect no others will if you ahve a gateway device it gets the IP and manages your private network allowing multiple devices to connect through the ONE PUBLIC ip the isp offers.

9. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

I am on local area connection. PPPOE is disabled.

10. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

I assume by the fact that you are posting here that you do have working internet and that your PC is connected to the same router that you are trying to connect the XBOX to. Is this correct? If so, how is your PC connected to the router? Wirelessly or wired?

11. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

Yes. modem is connected to router, router is connected to pc.

12. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

by an ethernet cable so its wired

13. AnonymouseUser

AnonymouseUser Diamond Member

Ok good. Take the cable out of the PC and connect it to the XBox, but do not unplug the cable from the router. If that works your other cable is bad. If it doesn't work then we are at least narrowing down what the problem could be.

Be sure to reboot the XBox after connecting the cable, or go into the XBox settings and be sure it's configured to work with wired network.

14. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

Tried it on another router not set up to a computer and it isn't recognized. I guess the port is faulty.

15. Cpus

Cpus Senior member

oh yeah and I used a working ethernet cable