Discussion Truth or just false rumor, drivers in NYC who do serious accidents are not charged?

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I am extending a topic that could somehat derail a thread over at Off-Topic forums, thus the reson why am placing my reply here to the post,
Can you provide proof of this claim please.

Here's another:

I do not think that streetsblog.org is a reliable source. I consider proof like journal articles, or news from news sources like FOX, CNN, New Your Times, Times, ect..

Hit and runs have come in the news many times, thus I do not expect the police not arrest these people nor the courts to let them go free. I also think that saying, "I did not see them" is an excuse. Its actually the law to have headlights on and in working condition if you can't see 1,000 feet in front of you. "Night Driving" section starts on the lower right of the page.

Dec 10, 2005
Here's a NYT link for you: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/22/nyregion/bike-deaths-charges-nyc.html
But not all crashes lead to charges
Drivers are rarely criminally charged for fatalities unless there are extenuating circumstances, prosecutors and defense lawyers told Ms. de Freytas-Tamura.

Motorists are more likely to be charged if they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs; purposefully intended to harm someone; or were aware of the risk or the harm and ignored it.

It’s also rare for these cases to reach trial, in part because it is hard to prove what judges call the rule of two: There must be evidence of egregious behavior, and prosecutors must prove the driver violated at least two traffic laws.

And here's one from ABC news: https://abcnews.go.com/US/hit-run-drivers-kill-people-jail-time-rarely/story?id=61845988

Drivers who kill rarely face real consequences for their actions in NYC. Windshield perspective ensures that the police and DAs offices don't bring charges or give softball deals.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
I didn't know that it requires the evidence of egregious behavior. That sound wrong.

Dec 10, 2005
I didn't know that it requires the evidence of egregious behavior. That sound wrong.
It shouldn't require it, based on the law. But DAs and police dont use that standard for some reason. Probably related to the issue that a lot of them are also drivers - stuck in their windshield perspective

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Absolutely commonplace over here. Authorities will move heaven and earth to find a reason not to convict a killer driver. It's almost unheard of to get the maximum sentence, most don't go to jail at all.

Only way they'll definitely get convicted and sent down is if they shout "Allah al Akbar" as they run the victim down. Even then, if the victim happens to be a cyclist it's a close-call for the Daily Mail crowd. That strange sound you hear then is the noise of knees jerking against each other.