Trump's win wasn't about racism

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Buckshot, I am guessing you are hypnotized by Scott Adams. If you follow his definition there can be no racism/racist unless someone spells it out proudly "I am a racist." But due to stigma attached to racism (rightfully), racism in practice works through proxies. That is why we have "code words" that politicians have exploited and we can understand them in certain contexts.

"Mexican" under Trump's fabulous sermon is a code word for "brown-skinned." Do not think for a second that Columbian American will be exempted from "being Mexican" to Trump's audience. Same goes for Guatemalan Americans. Or Chilean Americans. They are all "Mexicans" to Trump's audience for the reason of their complexion and related cultural factors.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk of sexism electing Trump.

I did think about it but I did not dwell on it much. I do not think it was sexism per se but it was more of Clinton's disadvantages as woman (eg. her voice, her acquired mannerism (e.g. defensiveness), her maternal instincts, etc.). They are related, for sure, but work on a different level in our cognitive dissonance.

Last edited:

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
That's missighted and wrong. As I said above it's not racism or sexism that got him elected (although some who voted for him I'm sure are racist or sexist), but rather a desire to clean house and take our government back from corruption.
Oh I agree. The lefties just want an excuse for their utter failure on election night. Surprised it hasn't come up more here.

Reactions: Kazukian

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Buckshot, I am guessing you are hypnotized by Scott Adams. If you follow his definition there can be no racism/racist unless someone spells it out proudly "I am a racist." But due to stigma attached to racism (rightfully), racism in practice works through proxies. That is why we have "code words" that politicians have exploited and we can understand them in certain contexts.

"Mexican" under Trump's fabulous sermon is a code word for "brown-skinned." Do not think for a second that Columbian American will be exempted from "being Mexican" to Trump's audience. Same goes for Guatemalan Americans. Or Chilean Americans. They are all "Mexicans" to Trump's audience for the reason of their complexion.
No, I think one can be racist without explicitly stating it. I am Trump's audience! I don't care what color you are, if white people were crossing the border illegally I'd want them stopped too. Saying that I want people who are doing illegal things to stop doing them just because they are "brown skinned" is itself racist. Simply ridiculous stuff here. The lefties projecting their racist crap on us is getting old.

Reactions: Kazukian

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Saying the Trump win was about racism is incorrect and blind to the realities of a vast swath of America. Democrats can either learn from this or lose again. He was voting because much of America is hurting and also to destroy the politics and corruption that is rampant in DC, drain the swamp if you will. People were absolutely pissed at the state of government, and the dems elected someone who is the absolute epitome of that.

The next four years will be extremely interesting.

The democrats should learn their lesson from expending capital to save rust belt industry when blaming minorities a thousand miles away is clearly far more effective. Maybe next time the muslims or such need to take one for the team.

Surprised there hasn't been more talk of sexism electing Trump.

Seems the ones too unsightly for him to grope identify more as white than women.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
No, I think one can be racist without explicitly stating it. I am Trump's audience! I don't care what color you are, if white people were crossing the border illegally I'd want them stopped too. Saying that I want people who are doing illegal things to stop doing them just because they are "brown skinned" is itself racist. Simply ridiculous stuff here. The lefties projecting their racist crap on us is getting old.
Then why is "Mexican" necessary? Why does "illegals" not suffice? More critically, why did he substitute "illegals" with "Mexicans?"

What if Obama said in Rose Garden "Those with European heritage are criminals. They are murders and rapists. They are drug addicts. Some, I assume, are good people." Racist or not?

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
Then why is "Mexican" necessary? Why does "illegals" not suffice?

What if Obama said in Rose Garden "Those with European heritage are criminals. They are murders and rapists. They are drug addicts. Some, I assume, are good people." Racist or not?
Trump didn't say "Mexicans are rapists...."

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I'm worried about you. I apparently am a lost cause. Take your meds and quit looking up at chem-trails.

I recall mentioned before that previous educators must've seen you in the same way, which appears why you have the same view of them. The situation hasn't changed in the meantime.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Trump didn't say "Mexicans are rapists...."
He did, when he called Judge Curiel "Mexican" and told us that he could not perform his job competently. Judge Curiel is, of course, American. And again, Trump knows what he is feeding his audience with.

And note that in my imaginary Obama speech Obama did not invoke race literally.

But I see that your mind is already made up and playing semantics. I am afraid we won't find a common ground here.

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
He did, when he called Judge Curiel "Mexican" and told us that he could not perform his job competently. Judge Curiel is, of course, American. And again, Trump knows what he is feeding his audience with.

But I see that your mind is already made up and playing semantics. I am afraid we won't find a common ground here.
Judge Curiel was already being unfair (in Trumps opinion) and he was asked why that could be the case. He never called all Mexicans rapist. That is a lie. I'm his audience and I don't care what color anybody is. Even if his words weren't what they actually were it would be ridiculous to assume that's what he actually meant. He knows Mexican people who aren't rapists or whatever else he said Mexico were "sending".

If you're going to say his words are racist then we're going to have to look at his actual words so semantics is required.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Judge Curiel was already being unfair (in Trumps opinion) and he was asked why that could be the case. He never called all Mexicans rapist. That is a lie. I'm his audience and I don't care what color anybody is. Even if his words weren't what they actually were it would be ridiculous to assume that's what he actually meant. He knows Mexican people who aren't rapists or whatever else he said Mexico were "sending".

If you're going to say his words are racist then we're going to have to look at his actual words so semantics is required.

Witness how clever Trump's message is. The legit klansmen will know what he means, and their apologists apparently do, too.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
@buckshot24: Since you are into semantics, substituting Trump's words with your own, I thought it's useful to quote Trump in full.

Donald Trump said:
“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.” (emphasis added)

It is difficult to adduce that Trump was talking about undocumented immigrants here, is it not?

No, I think one can be racist without explicitly stating it. I am Trump's audience! I don't care what color you are, if white people were crossing the border illegally I'd want them stopped too. Saying that I want people who are doing illegal things to stop doing them just because they are "brown skinned" is itself racist. Simply ridiculous stuff here. The lefties projecting their racist crap on us is getting old. (emphasis added)

Last edited:

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
And the Albanians had every right to expend enormous resources on bunkers, too.

Given the technology at our disposal the Wall makes as much sense as a hat full of assholes.

I mean that much is obvious. Anyone who made it past 3rd grade understands the wall is metaphorical. But I can't quite understand why the media takes his words so literally like 3rd graders. No doubt some people who voted for him also did, people who probably don't remember anything past 3rd grade either.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Because president's words matter. When a president tells Russia to hack his political opponent's emails, citizens might reasonably assume it's a hyperbole. But if Russia actually follows through for her own political gain, she now has an excuse. The president can go back and yell "Hey, it was metaphorical!" but Russia will happily pretend to be a 3rd grader and the rest of the world will have no choice but to accept that excuse.

Moreover, it is debatable whether Trump supporters really do not take his words literally. There have been many surveys suggesting that is not the case. (meaning, many of them take them literally)

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
I mean that much is obvious. Anyone who made it past 3rd grade understands the wall is metaphorical. But I can't quite understand why the media takes his words so literally like 3rd graders. No doubt some people who voted for him also did, people who probably don't remember anything past 3rd grade either.

It's basically a game everyone plays. Not just the media but human society broadly, like at work when people are expected take statements at face value instead of inspecting why someone would say something.

The skill of politics and relationships in general involves playing that game well.

It's only rarely, usually under the cover of trust or anonymity that some smart folks would talk metagame. I mean, just look at what happens when you try to explain any of it to dummies; you just draw a blank stare at best and profuse mouthiness often results. In a sense their individual "opinions" don't really matter, but their collective tard strength is evidently pretty consequential.

Reactions: lopri

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Oh, and do not forget that Trump himself has shown that he's got a very, very thin skin. When a foreign leader (or anyone really) mocks him with a hyperbole (e.g. "puppet," "dog," "fat pig," "slob"), will Trump be able to brush it off as nothing more than a friendly banter?

I think we know the answer. It has been one of the mystifying features of the whole campaign. He, his surrogates, and his supporters all have incredibly thin skins for champions against "Political Correctness."

Last edited:

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Oh, and do not forget that Trump himself has shown that he's got a very, very thin skin. When a foreign leader (or anyone really) mocks him with a hyperbole (e.g. "puppet," "dog," "fat pig," "slob"), will Trump be able to brush it off as nothing more than a friendly banter?

I think we know the answer. It has been one of the mystifying features of the whole campaign. He, his surrogates, and his supporters all have incredibly thin skins for champions against "Political Correctness."

As an example of the game at hand, when they complain about "PC", they really mean the qualm that trashing so and so minority has recursions now. This isn't so much a problem for the followers per se as leaders who scapegoat said minorities for their own traction. I mean, you tell the crowd it's all the fault of mexican rapists, and they get in trouble for spreading that garbage at work or while out, that's a legit showstopper.

So leaders who want to use racial resentment as a tool need to deal with that problem, and if trump can be said to have a particular political talent, it's compiling a composite of solutions with some luck and help like from alt-right type orgs and new technology. Eg. it's ok to "speak your mind" on the internet, and it won't be filter by distribution networks which act as basic filters for decency or accuracy.

That's why there's a "new" generation of people from under that rock he kicked over who finally feel empowered again. They can take that rhetoric from the rallies and freely express it somewhere without risk of being ostracized. Not surprisingly a lot of them are kinda shitty people, so it's no surprise they want to dish it out to those minorities they want to perceive as lesser, but can't take any heat themselves.

Reactions: tweaker2

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Trump's win from post-analysis...

1. Make America, Great Again
This aligns from a post-bush era that America is terrible. That Obama a black president who created ISIS was making America worse. Yet, he was the one doing the RECOVERY, while Trump was losing properties left and right. Large portion of his businesses were thus bailed out by his largely disproportionate Russian consumer base. Who if you have been watching has led to the below;

2. His Ultra-nationalist/Mild-isolationism/White power aligned with the goals of >75% of the basket of deplorable. Who account for at least 6 states that he won, and <90% of the people who voted for him.;
- Misogynistic ideology => Woman can't be president, woman should be in the kitchen. They should be sexual symbols and nothing else.
- Xenophobes, Racists, Extremists, anti-LGBTQ => Black president = ISIS, Muslim faith is completely radicalized and thus all terrorists, immigration is letting bad hombres in that will rape, kill, and steal your property from you.
- Television star => Alpha/Beta Testing statements that gradually go from super extreme to okay those aren't so bad. Then, gets voted but not elected, you know those statements? Not going to do those.

First group; He won by wishful thinking; a message implying that he will fix things. The people did not see him for what he is and they didn't care.
Second group; Oh jeez we had a black terrorist for president for eight years. We can't let these horrible disgusting homosexual retarded (women) persons in power ever.

Finally 3rd group.. this happens on both sides. Unrelated to Trump or Mrs Clinton.
- Lighting will strike me from thee heavens and I shall vote down party lines. RNC declared Trump, I am a Republican, thus I vote for Trump. DNC declared Mrs Clinton, I am a Democrat, thus I vote for Mrs Clinton. Or, spoiler votes for Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, Evan McMullin, Darrell Castle. (You shouldn't vote for the person you think has the best ideals, that is for the Senate & House.)
- We are going to switch the sheriff, vote for pot and no vote on the president race. Woo! #420Smokeweederreday

This third group is majority. Regardless, what people think. While the top two are the ones that shift the balance.

Last edited:

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
Well stated. Are you a professional analyst?
No, I do this as a hobby as everything else I do. I am uninterested in making any form of currency. As I do not think, it is a worthwhile investment of my time. Currency leads to debts(fiat) or extreme hoarding(hard/crypt).

buckshot24

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2009
@buckshot24: Since you are into semantics, substituting Trump's words with your own, I thought it's useful to quote Trump in full.

It is difficult to adduce that Trump was talking about undocumented immigrants here, is it not?
Thankfully we have the man who made the statement to give us fuller details. Also if they aren't sending their best then obviously he's not talking about all Mexicans. Everybody understands this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOhNigw6xVQ