Trump's lawyer just sent a letter to Mueller indicating President is above the law

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Uh, no. Nemo iudex in causa sua. Giuliniani knows this, hence "I think the political ramifications of that would be tough. Pardoning other people is one thing. Pardoning yourself is another."

He's trying to keep up appearances for the traitor he works for.

I agree with your assessment but I and not optimistic about justice being done. We've already had reconciliation being spread around like so much organic fertilizer. A President who is immune from political consequences proportional to the egregiousness of their actions creates a revolving dictatorship. My current sentiment is that the Dems are going to not do nearly as well as they might and have no stomach for a fight if they do.

If Trump broke the law in significant ways he needs to be criminally prosecuted and that be politically supported. Magic 8 Ball sez- "When pigs fly".

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I think the president is above the law and its why the only recourse is impeachment. Its also why impeachment can be done despite the president not committing any actual crime.

We should be looking to Congress, not Mueller, for corrective action. However I do understand the desire to have Congress use the info Mueller provides as their basis for impeachment. The question and concern I have is will they actually use the information and do their duty or do they protect one of their own because he's one of their own.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
I think the president is above the law and its why the only recourse is impeachment. Its also why impeachment can be done despite the president not committing any actual crime.

We should be looking to Congress, not Mueller, for corrective action. However I do understand the desire to have Congress use the info Mueller provides as their basis for impeachment. The question and concern I have is will they actually use the information and do their duty or do they protect one of their own because he's one of their own.

Unfortunately, smart money is probably on the latter.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
http://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...ting-trump-tower-letter-this-why-you-dont-let

By Brett Samuels - 06/03/18 11:30 AM EDT 391
Rudy Giuliani on Sunday used the revelation that President Trump dictated a letter about a 2016 meeting between his campaign aides and a Russian lawyer to bolster an argument for why the president should not sit for an interview with special counsel Robert Mueller.

"This is the reason you don’t let the president testify," Giuliani said on ABC's "This Week."

He argued that it would pose a problem in an FBI interview if "our recollection keeps changing, or we’re not even asked a question and somebody makes an assumption."

"The president should not testify because he is an idiotic lying fuckbag and we are all full of shit."

How anyone can even remotely support these asshats anymore is completely beyond me.

Reactions: Aegeon

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Uh, no. Nemo iudex in causa sua. Giuliniani knows this, hence "I think the political ramifications of that would be tough. Pardoning other people is one thing. Pardoning yourself is another."

He's trying to keep up appearances for the traitor he works for.

I think they are putting increasingly more insane things into the ether to see when they get a response different from crickets from R-congress. When they get crickets from this stunt it goes onto the list of "shit we might just pull off".

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
Unfortunately, smart money is probably on the latter.

People have an unease about government and the rest, is an agenda we must put forward to save our democracy, which is about reducing the role of money in politics, which changes the revolving door of lobbyists coming in and out of government, which has something that says to people, if you think that your voice is not as heard as well as the voice of others, then we must satisfy their concern and change the system.

So let's focus on things like that, that I think are unifying for the American people. Impeachment is, to me, divisive. Again, if the facts are there, the facts are there, then this would have to be bipartisan to go forward. But if it is viewed as partisan, it will divide the country. And I just don't think that that's what we should do.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The Republicans will not impeach because they are more afraid of the optics than caring about the well being of our country. It would show that they made a mistake supporting Trump and they can't ever admit they were wrong in any way shape or form.

Hayabusa Rider

Jan 26, 2000
The Republicans will not impeach because they are more afraid of the optics than caring about the well being of our country. It would show that they made a mistake supporting Trump and they can't ever admit they were wrong in any way shape or form.

With the right lever they will support impeachment and Trump may have provided it with his crazy trade war. What does Trump mean when their corporate masters are angry?

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999

Kind of. Article 2 does specify impeachment is for "treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors". The definition of what counts under high crimes and misdemeanors is what's relevant here, and some argue it's anything they want. Regardless, they have to impeach him for some specific offense. It doesn't necessarily have to be a crime under any existing statute. See: Andrew Johnson.