Trump's greatest hits - what's the stupidest thing he's done so far?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
As the title states - while there's tons of possibilities to pick from (quite literally tons, we might not even have a scale big enough to weigh them all) I want you to say what you think the *ONE* single-most stupid thing Trump has done so far that relates to the political realm. Let's leave his personal life out of it unless it's directly relevant to his current position somehow. In the end we can even have a full 64-item bracket going and poll to see what the consensus "#1 Trump stupid thing" is and crown it champion.

Jan 25, 2011
We need more categories. Stupidest. most racist. Most sexist. Most traitorous. Most corrupt.

There's so many to choose from here...

I'll be back in a bit

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Fire James Comey, admit it was intended to obstruct justice (while contradicting the official excuse) and then lie that he'd admitted as much. If Mueller's investigation nails Trump himself for something, that might be it.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
We need more categories. Stupidest. most racist. Most sexist. Most traitorous. Most corrupt.

There's so many to choose from here...

I'll be back in a bit

That's the problem. Siding with Putin and against Americans who have discovered the truth isn't stupid- at all- and neither is throwing NATO and the EU under the bus. Those are treachery at best.

I don't look at Trump's actions from a perspective of "stupid" although I sometimes use that word in a commonplace way. Malevolent, hurtful, ignorant, untruthful, unstable- they seem better descriptors.

But

"Most stupid" would require parsing thousands of Trump's statements so I'll go with the most recent "stupidity" and that is his "I misspoke" comment on Putin. Clearly, he did not. Worse he then added "Russia and others", which he cited before as potentially being a 400 lb guy in bed somewhere.

That was "stupid" in the sense that it made plain his real intent standing next to Putin and afterward, but his intent was duplicity.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The walk back yesterday is on such a different level of stupid than any others that's hard to really compare. It was stupid in the sense that it was just a completely infantile response to the situation. It's stupid in the sense that he assumes we'll swallow it as a pill of truth. It's stupid in that the man doesn't have a shred of sincerity in his body and has built an administration built on lies, half truths and distractions. And expects us to believe him. It was stupid because this shit is serious.

Reactions: Homerboy

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fire James Comey, admit it was intended to obstruct justice (while contradicting the official excuse) and then lie that he'd admitted as much. If Mueller's investigation nails Trump himself for something, that might be it.

A lot of this depends on the question 'stupidest in what way?' If you're talking about stupidest thing he did for himself personally then yes, firing James Comey seems to be it. He fired Comey to get rid of the Russia investigation but all it did was make it ten times worse.

If we're talking stupidest for America then hmm, that's a tougher one.

Feb 4, 2009
Glenn have you come around regarding Trump?

This isn’t me implying you’ll be carrying a Hillary for Prez sign but maybe a chance you’d vote for a Biden or similar type Democrat with the assumption that the only Republican choice will be Trump.

Back to the question to date Trumps stupidest move was standing next to Putin looking weak and subservient plus sounding unprepared and timid.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

This isn’t me implying you’ll be carrying a Hillary for Prez sign but maybe a chance you’d vote for a Biden or similar type Democrat with the assumption that the only Republican choice will be Trump.

Back to the question to date Trumps stupidest move was standing next to Putin looking weak and subservient plus sounding unprepared and timid.
I don't think glenn is even a Republican. He is just FYGM so he likes a lot of what they are selling.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
You just can't make this shit up.

ullK3l6.jpg

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Challenge: ignore any potential criminal actions, Russian collusion, or obstruction--focus on policy.

I'd say the two things top of mind for me are:

1) Start a trade war with China/Canada/EU that'll hurt his voters the worst

2) Unilaterally pull out of the Iran deal...for nothing gained (I guess same could be said if Paris Accord but this will likely have greater impact.)

Last edited:

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

What's there for me to "come around" to? I've never liked Trump and said so here constantly during the 2016 election. Here's some samples.

"My people"? I'm a Libertarian voting for Johnson. And Trump (and Clinton) support gun control. I've repeatedly said on this forum that Trump would be my last choice of the 4 top candidates and would vote for Stein ahead of him and Clinton, she shares the wrong gun control fetish with those two but is infinitely better on pretty much every other civil liberty.

I guess Bill Weld is getting his wish because I can't think of any Libertarian who would vote for Trump. I can't think of any Libertarian who would vote for Clinton either but I suppose you might have gotten some 'sorta kinda' squishy folks who are Democrat leaners anyway who might get coaxed back. I'd say for the average "true" libertarian that Clinton is above Trump but they'd still be our last two choices of the four most plausible candidates (Johnson, Stein, Clinton, Trump).

If there is a 3rd party candidate whose positions match yours reasonably closely you should vote for them. Even though they won't win, the winning candidate will notice if they gain a significant fraction of the vote and may change their own positions accordingly. That's the primary reason I'm voting Johnson, I'm hoping he gains enough vote share to shame the winner into turning away from the dark side on civil liberties. If Johnson gained say 10% of the vote and got Clinton (presuming she won) to change sides on NSA evesdropping it would be the best success for a 3rd party candidate you could hope for, PLUS your vote wouldn't be demonstrating approval for either Clinton or Trump and validating their other terrible positions and appalling character faults. Would be the same thing if you felt strongly about some position that Jill Stein agreed with. Either Stein or Johnson is a better vote than Trump/Clinton.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
From my perception he is more anti-liberal than he is pro-conservative.
Yes, like an ever increasing number of Americans. "You know, these conservative ideas that were beaten into me as a child and I've faithfully believed my entire adult life really aren't working out so well and it's becoming harder to defend them every single day. I think it's time to abandon them, but I'll put a fucking gun to my head and pull the trigger before I embrace a single liberal idea."

Feb 4, 2009
What's there for me to "come around" to? I've never liked Trump and said so here constantly during the 2016 election. Here's some samples.

You are right I worded that poorly. Today does seem like a different Glenn, what changed?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
You are right I worded that poorly. Today does seem like a different Glenn, what changed?

Trump is a dumbass and unworthy of being POTUS. Doesn't mean he's always wrong (broken clock 2x/day and yada yada) but I do try to keep things in perspective. People are treating his statements in front of Putin like he just handed over the keys to the nuclear football and I just don't see it. I think it's another stupid thing/lost opportunity he's said or done but not particularly noteworthy in the sheer volume of stupid in the Trump catalog. One of Trump's biggest problems is he keeps on making these mistakes of incompetence well into his presidency and it's more of a steady drumbeat of constant stupid rather than one single monumentally stupid moment. Even in this thread the leading example seems to be the Comey firing which seems to be more of a "Mr. Bean bumbling kinda stupid" rather than Idiocracy "Brawndo has electrolytes which plants crave" level stupid. Things like Bill Clinton stupidly saying "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" sound jarringly stupid because Clinton is otherwise smart, that sounds like an average amount of stupid coming from Trump before breakfast.

Jan 25, 2011
Trump is a dumbass and unworthy of being POTUS. Doesn't mean he's always wrong (broken clock 2x/day and yada yada) but I do try to keep things in perspective. People are treating his statements in front of Putin like he just handed over the keys to the nuclear football and I just don't see it. I think it's another stupid thing/lost opportunity he's said or done but not particularly noteworthy in the sheer volume of stupid in the Trump catalog. One of Trump's biggest problems is he keeps on making these mistakes of incompetence well into his presidency and it's more of a steady drumbeat of constant stupid rather than one single monumentally stupid moment. Even in this thread the leading example seems to be the Comey firing which seems to be more of a "Mr. Bean bumbling kinda stupid" rather than Idiocracy "Brawndo has electrolytes which plants crave" level stupid. Things like Bill Clinton stupidly saying "it depends on what the meaning of the word 'is' is" sound jarringly stupid because Clinton is otherwise smart, that sounds like an average amount of stupid coming from Trump before breakfast.
What concerns me about the meeting with Putin and the press conference afterwards is we don't know what he gave away during the time no one else was in the room.

As an example, did you see or hear about his interview with Tucker Carlson last night? More specifically his comments on Montenegro? It was such a random thing to bring up and his comments undercut the entire premise of mutual defense. The only time Article 5 was ever invoked was to protect the U.S. and her interests.

That is what worries me about his comments during that presser. That he could very well have given Putin free reign or the impression of free reign.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...nato-new-reason-nervous-montenegro/795263002/

Last edited:

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
For the country, probably pissing on all international agreements.

For himself, firing Comey.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
As the title states - while there's tons of possibilities to pick from (quite literally tons, we might not even have a scale big enough to weigh them all) I want you to say what you think the *ONE* single-most stupid thing Trump has done so far that relates to the political realm. Let's leave his personal life out of it unless it's directly relevant to his current position somehow. In the end we can even have a full 64-item bracket going and poll to see what the consensus "#1 Trump stupid thing" is and crown it champion.

Ignore advice from those qualified and experienced on the subject matter at hand.