Trump's desperate attempt to save his imploding presidency

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

- But presidents don't get credit for pledging a "smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power" after encouraging their mobs to punish another branch of government and doing everything possible to destabilize the nascent administrations of their successors.

- They can't get away with lurching into an "address on national healing," as the White House called his remarks, after spending two months subverting democracy by denying their election losses and spending four years shredding truth and inflaming cultural and racial divides for political gain.

-There is also little doubt that Trump's video message was a desperate attempt to salvage his fast-declining political position after a disastrous day filled with outrage about his conduct and growing concerns about whether he is psychologically fit for office.

- '"He's a very, very flawed human being," Trump's former Chief of Staff John Kelly told Tapper, after days in which the President's demagoguery, autocratic instincts, lack of compassion, assaults on truth and vanity have driven the nation to a breaking point.

I dont think Trump cares about his Legacy or tarnishing the name TRUMP for his children and grand children.
i think that 'smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power' video was fear of being removed by the 25th Amendment.

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
I dont think Trump cares about his Legacy or the tarnishing the name TRUMP for his children and grand children.
i think that 'smooth, orderly and seamless transition of power' video was fear of being removed by the 25th Amendment.

most likely, yeah. if he hadn't, i wonder if pence would have invoked the 25th. but traitor in charge is getting impeached, so at least we got that going.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

I'd say it was more just the fear of liability (impeachment, criminal charges or lawsuits). You can practically hear the lawyers screaming at Trump to post that video. Not that it'll save him. It was the equivalent of saying "in my defense, I didn't think I'd get caught."

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Trump has been campaigning for reelection the day he took office and the more he made himself look the moronic fool in that effort the more desperate he became while totally ignoring the fact that he was his own worst enemy, all while attempting to enrich himself in every malicious unlawful way possible. He also had the gall to enlist the services of his own children toward that goal and in incredible fashion he's now trying to pardon himself and his family for their four year run of constant malfeasance while supposedly representing the interests of the people of the nation that he has been bilking all along.

He literally lied and golfed his way through his entire tenure in office. From the get-go he was a desperate man desperately trying to show he wasn't the man he actually was and as a result of that effort he became a threat to the security of the nation.

Things simply got worse and worse for him from the day he descended that escalator and crowned himself King of Thieves and Master of All in His Purview.

Look at him now as compared with how he looked the day he declared his inauguration was the biggest and most popular EVER. He couldn't even make himself out to be a good winner.

Sad. Pathetic.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I dont think Trump cares about his Legacy or tarnishing the name TRUMP for his children and grand children.

The good thing about creating your own reality is that you don't have to worry about what is going on outside it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It's all just boiler plate, nothing new here that CNN accounting of the situation. It's fine and all. They didn't mention, however, at least not what I've read so far (WHICH IS A LOT) that Trump, after making that conciliatory video saying transfer of power would occur on the 20th and that he condemns the riot, has expressed much remorse over it and would like to retract it entirely. Yes, he's stubbornly in denial still. He only did that to appease whomever, he obviously didn't write it, he just read it off a teleprompter, it wasn't his thoughts and feelings in the least. What he'd really like to do is sweep all the pieces off the Monopoly board with one swing of his hand.

I think he'll be impeached again, the Senate will fail to convict during his term, but might after he's gone (which I hope will happen).

Reactions: Pohemi

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I think he'll be impeached again, the Senate will fail to convict during his term, but might after he's gone (which I hope will happen).
wait.. you can impeach AFTER he's out of office?!
in that case, have the Senate do their piece of the impeachment in 2023 after they gain a few more seats in the Senate.
(in 2022, more repub senators are up for election than Dems)

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
So Trump saved the worst for last (so far) by committing sedition against the nation he swore to protect yet did just the opposite, something he has earned infamy, disgust and notoriety for being so consistent in that regard.

With his miserable record as POTUS staring him the face, I'm wondering what his Presidential Library will look like. I mean, I literally laugh myself to tears every time I think about it.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
in all seriousness how many of us were expecting the guy to just sit quietly, wait out his time and hand over the oval office?
I know wer were HOPING he'd do that. But I think anyone who's been paying attention the last 5 years knew he'd be a real d-bag up to the last day.

Reactions: Pohemi and Muse

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Unless I live in a universe of alternate reality, ( I know what at least 10 % of what alternate reality looks and feels like cause there were all kinds of strange little shaped and colored pills and pieces of gelatin an things that looked like postage stamps} around when I was just a little whipper snapper, thank the universal cosmos,. amen. Thanks for retirement.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So Trump saved the worst for last (so far) by committing sedition against the nation he swore to protect yet did just the opposite, something he has earned infamy, disgust and notoriety for being so consistent in that regard.

With his miserable record as POTUS staring him the face, I'm wondering what his Presidential Library will look like. I mean, I literally laugh myself to tears every time I think about it.
Gold plated trinkets given him by dictators, is all I can think of.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

I strongly disagree. Since Trump stiffed all the large US and international banks roughly 25 years ago, his name is almost his sole valuable asset now (outside of Russian financial propping him up, of course). His basic business operation now is to franchise his name-bundle up a development package with OPM with his name on it for hefty licensing fees.

I think Donald the mogul fully realizes that his ego has boxed him in now to a horrible situation. His best bet now is to do very little publicly and have Faux News and his minions keep pushing the scenario that his followers are patriots being used the the Dems in a vindictive ploy against him.

The Dems and the USA OTOH need to focus on what really went on in the Congress building and get the facts out how not only did the Dept of Defense hold back federal agencies from the rescue but it actively blocked the Maryland National Guard and riot trained officers from coming to the assistance of the trapped victims:

Watch this and flinch:

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
While not surprised but didn't know about press being shoved around by the officers and rioters and no one helped. But don't get why they don't attempt to more easily identify press like they do in the HK protests. But in the case of Wednesday, bright orange press vests would be a target for these scum trailer park trash. But at least it would protect the press from the power hungry cops during the BLM protests.

misuspita

Jul 15, 2006

In Jean Edward Smith's biography of George W. Bush, he wrote about what President Bush thought of President-elect Obama during the transition period.
On page 650, it states:
“As part of the presidential transition, Barack Obama asked Bush if it would be possible for him to meet all the ex-presidents. Bush was happy to oblige, and organized a White House luncheon in the Oval Office on January 7. Bush and Obama were joined by Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton, and George H. W. Bush. The luncheon lasted over two hours, each former president ordered his lunch à la carte from the White House mess, and the tone was convivial and friendly. “All the gentlemen here understand both the pressures and possibilities of this office,” said Obama before the meeting. “For me to have the opportunity to get advice, good counsel and fellowship with these individuals is extraordinary, and I just want to thank the President for hosting us.”
Bush was equally effusive. “We want you to succeed,” he replied. “Whether we're Democrat or Republican we care deeply about this country. And to the extent we can we look forward to sharing out experiences with you. All of us who have served in this office understand that the office transcends the individual.”
FB_IMG_1610349854233.jpg

That should be the way a president acts. Not like the actual monkey...

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris
Mar 11, 2004
Trump has been campaigning for reelection the day he took office and the more he made himself look the moronic fool in that effort the more desperate he became while totally ignoring the fact that he was his own worst enemy, all while attempting to enrich himself in every malicious unlawful way possible. He also had the gall to enlist the services of his own children toward that goal and in incredible fashion he's now trying to pardon himself and his family for their four year run of constant malfeasance while supposedly representing the interests of the people of the nation that he has been bilking all along.

He literally lied and golfed his way through his entire tenure in office. From the get-go he was a desperate man desperately trying to show he wasn't the man he actually was and as a result of that effort he became a threat to the security of the nation.

Things simply got worse and worse for him from the day he descended that escalator and crowned himself King of Thieves and Master of All in His Purview.

Look at him now as compared with how he looked the day he declared his inauguration was the biggest and most popular EVER. He couldn't even make himself out to be a good winner.

Sad. Pathetic.

I disagree, but just with your opening statement. Turmp was still campaigning for the 2016 election years after it was over. I've pointed this out to people for some time. Even Turmp doesn't actually believe he won the 2016 election. He acted the exact same fucking way only people went along with it in 2016, while they got out and made sure to vote his ass out in 2020 and so they know he fucking lost for sure in 2020. The desperation was because he was trying to cover it up and then when he got caught for that, he was desperately trying to keep from being held accountable for it, and then he became desperate when it became clear that they were finding out all his dirty secrets.

I keep telling people. When Republicans howl about something they keep ending up being found to be the ones doing it. And the louder they howl the worse it is. That's why they genuinely believe Turmp won 2020. It worked in 2016. It didn't in 2020.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
fb_img_1610349854233-jpg.37513

See, I can't imagine these convocations of presidents including the criminal in the White House at the moment. This is one reason I don't believe he's going to be alive for long. Call it a hunch. Or, maybe he'll be in prison or living in exile.