Trump undermines May on Brexit

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Donald Trump has dramatically undermined Theresa May’s Brexit plan, saying: “I'm not sure that's what people voted for”

In an extraordinary intervention in British domestic politics, the US president told reporters at the Nato summit that her proposals would leave the UK “partially involved with the EU”...

The explosive remarks – even before Mr Trump arrives in the UK – will fuel Downing Street fears that his visit will have an impact on her attempts to calm Tory anger over Brexit...

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...est-theresa-may-referendum-vote-a8443806.html

I dont think he undermined May. They all know he's f---ing idiot, so will probably let it slide. If it was any other U.S. president, it would have indeed undermined May. Still, it goes to show that the UK has an absolute moron for an ally who is capable of embarrassing them as well as his own country.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
"They" are many people and while they know Trump is an idiot May isn't exactly loved as I understand things and having Trump pick her apart will be something opponents will use as a weapon at some point.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Something tells me Donnie and Boris may have talked before Boris abruptly resigned, too.

Pretty shameful for a US President to be throwing his greatest ally under the bus like that. Gloves are off, world leaders. Please start calling him out for what he is.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Something tells me Donnie and Boris may have talked before Boris abruptly resigned, too.

Pretty shameful for a US President to be throwing his greatest ally under the bus like that. Gloves are off, world leaders. Please start calling him out for what he is.

Mind you, you could see this coming to a degree. It often feels like it's just a matter of time before Trump throws everyone under the bus.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Well at some point UK will have to realize since it can't count on America.. is it worth staying in the EU to be able to count on France, Germany?

Triloby

Mar 18, 2016
Implying that May didn't undermine the Brexit plan by herself due to her incompetence (as well as the rest of the Tories).

Reactions: Cerb

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I dont think he undermined May. They all know he's f---ing idiot, so will probably let it slide.

And at this point doesn't everyone just assume that if Trump says something it is probably a lie?
But either way it is bad optics. Having the Trump talking about it at all is probably not helpful, because as unpopular as Trump is in the UK I don't think him supporting her position would help her either. This is a simple case of Trump not being capable of anything approaching diplomacy.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
If the UK goes through with Brexit, America will put them in the "back of the queue" in terms of trade deals.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Implying that May didn't undermine the Brexit plan by herself due to her incompetence (as well as the rest of the Tories).
My thought is that May knows Brexit is a terrible idea and is stalling in hopes that a political reversal occurs before she implements it.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Tariff on allies, suspend sanction on Russia.

Besides holding back on additional sanctions - have any existing sanctions been suspended?

Is Russia truly at the front of the queue? Which trade partner with the USA would rather be in Russia's shoes right now in terms of trade relations with the USA?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Besides holding back on additional sanctions - have any existing sanctions been suspended?

Is Russia truly at the front of the queue? Which trade partner with the USA would rather be in Russia's shoes right now in terms of trade relations with the USA?

Suspending Russia saction and slapping tariffs on allies put Russia in front of the allies does it not?

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That would be new Russian sanctions. It can only be suspended if they have ever been in effect.

Have any been lifted? Can you name a trade partner that would want to switch places with Russia right now?

Lol you understand this is all US's doing right? Like everyone else wants a trade war.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I wonder if a sitting US president has ever been asked to physically leave a country that he's visiting let alone an ally like the UK...

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/6766531/trump-may-brexit-us-deal-off/

G8bnSkf.png

E5m0B85.png