Trump Trade Tariffs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
The way I heard it the Chinese government is subsidizing their solar panel industry so they could sell below market value. That's not free trade.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I doubt Trump cares. IMO, this is just another PR move. Trump's base will eat it up without the faintest notion of its actual impact.

Yeah...who the hell knows what/why Trump is doing and what he wants. After forcing a shutdown by shooting down bipartisan deals, while saying beforehand he would sign whatever congress could work out...He is all over the place.

Is he trying to distract from the Mueller investigation? Does he want a trade war? Is he trying to limit the reach of solar power vs his simple minded already chosen winner: coal and oil. Is he using it as a bargaining chip to try and force the Chinese into doing more about North Korea. Who the Fvck knows. He thrives in deception and chaos.

He's been holding various economic things over the Chinese head since before he was even elected, and since he was elected he trots them out only to put them away once the Chinese make a concession. He's doing basically the same sort of thing with Mexico and Canada and NAFTA. It's basically his method for doing business...he likes having leverage and showing he has a big stick to hit someone with and uses it to threaten in order to get his way. He thinks he can run the US just like he does one of his businesses or even his personal relationships. It may be that you don't need to look for a more deeper or more convoluted reasons than he's a dick, acts like a dick, and this is how he does things.

Reactions: tweaker2

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Am I the only one that likes the idea of these solar tariffs? The US solar industry is getting destroyed by the Chinese solar manufacturers, who are government subsidized and are selling these panels to us under shipped cost in order to corner the market.

The funny thing is that this actually helps Tesla, as their US made solar shingles will soon have less competition from the cheaper Chinese knockoffs will inevitably will be coming. That said, Tesla's fans seem to be the most avid haters of this tariff. Go figure.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Am I the only one that likes the idea of these solar tariffs? The US solar industry is getting destroyed by the Chinese solar manufacturers, who are government subsidized and are selling these panels to us under shipped cost in order to corner the market.

The funny thing is that this actually helps Tesla, as their US made solar shingles will soon have less competition from the cheaper Chinese knockoffs will inevitably will be coming. That said, Tesla's fans seem to be the most avid haters of this tariff. Go figure.

1) the tarriffs are probably illegal at WTO

2) the rate is not high enough to support domestic production in any substantial way, also phases down

3) installation jobs will be lost

4) Tesla solar roof is a limited availability premium product at an installed cost way above any conventional panels (they are also opposed to the tariff)

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Eugene Wilkie, of Now1 Solar, said this will cost the US solar industry 88,000 jobs. He is reporting that after his comments came out, his office staff have started getting death threats. Why do I find this not surprising?

https://twitter.com/search?q=eugene wilkie&src=typd

I'm assuming Trump thinks the less sun pollution the better...

Puffnstuff

Lifer
Mar 9, 2005
How about some trade tariffs on products that Trump actually uses himself in his businesses like all of that Chinese steel used to construct his properties.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am eagerly awaiting the US cutting subsidies to the various industries such as o&g, farm and airline industry.