Trump to regulate Facebook, Twitter etc.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Yet another example of Republicans not reading those pocket Constitutions they like to carry around. If they had read one they might know that a private entity censoring speech they don't agree with, which the Republicans claim "Big Tech" is doing, is not a First Amendment violation. They might also know that the government forcing a private entity to carry speech it does not agree with, which the Republicans are proposing "Big Tech" do, is a First Amendment violation.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018
Here goes

Basicly : Block our Alex Jones crazy again and ...

I know to the core of my bones that Suckerberg will cave like a little b.

Guess that means Julian Assange will be getting a "Get Out Jail Free" card soon.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So what the GOP wants is to maintain protections for social media companies only if they give up their right to edit content. Which is some special kind of ass backwards threat, because removing those protections makes social media responsible for content posted by users. Social media simply can't exist under those circumstances. The law obviously won't be changed to let that happen but they can be a PITA in the meanwhile.

• Wow
Reactions: DarthKyrie

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I read a good bit, 90%+ fiction, Sci-fi, dystopian, alternate realities, etc., where things have gone really really off the rails. Books like 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Kurt Vonnegut stuff, etc.. I can't say I recall one where one leader has been so totally bug fuck crazy as Trump.
You should read Dune

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
You should read Dune

I'm gonna get around to watching the David Lynch flick one of these days. Never read the books. Don't give a dick.

I also know the nerds that pan Lynch's version are probably just idiots that know cinema from their schrunken dickholes.

Yes, I could be wrong, and I'll absolutely own that if it does suck...after I watch it. :D

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I'm gonna get around to watching the David Lynch flick one of these days. Never read the books. Don't give a dick.

I also know the nerds that pan Lynch's version are probably just idiots that know cinema from their schrunken dickholes.

Yes, I could be wrong, and I'll absolutely own that if it does suck...after I watch it. :D
The books are quite good, you should give them a read. There’s a little bit of everything...political intrigue, religious dogma, genetic engineering, science, anti-science, knife fights, acid trips; jihad and giant worms.

The David Lynch movie was too ambitious for its own good, but has some amazing design and a rocking Toto soundtrack...and Sting in a leather bikini if you’re into that.

Reactions: zinfamous

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
think of trumpworld like the world in the movie version of starship troopers

and if he were to win again it'll be like V for Vendetta.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The party of small govt and free speech wants to regulate business to ensure only their speech is allowed.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ksosx86

Sep 27, 2012
I don't know, I feel like Idiocracy did a good job telling the future. God I miss the 90s. The Chicago Bulls. The Utah Jazz. Coke commercials with Polar bears that weren't in danger of melting ice caps.... where'd it all go wrong. :eek:
The party of small govt and free speech wants to regulate business to ensure only their speech is allowed.
If you take a screwdriver and apply next to the eye just so.. inserting ... *plop* yes. Then it makes sense (lobotomy joke) meh maybe a lil too dark. Anyhoo' censorship! It's in fashion, you can buy a GOP censorship button and pin it on your jacket to show support for the cause :)

Last edited:

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

I've had a copy for years, still haven't watched it. One day.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Please, please. Read at least the first book. Then watch David Lynch's movie. It will make no sense otherwise. It needed to be broken up into 2 movies at least. The movie originally would have been over 4 hours, but they had to cut it down for obvious commercial reasons. It's an epic like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Reactions: Starbuck1975

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Please, please. Read at least the first book. Then watch David Lynch's movie. It will make no sense otherwise. It needed to be broken up into 2 movies at least. The movie originally would have been over 4 hours, but they had to cut it down for obvious commercial reasons. It's an epic like the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
The only thing Lynch really botched was the weirding way, but the casting, art design and certain iconic scenes were spot on.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The only thing Lynch really botched was the weirding way, but the casting, art design and certain iconic scenes were spot on.
While the artistic direction was great, he botched THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE BOOK.

The fundamental point of the book in the author’s own words is ‘beware of heroes’. Heroes tend to get a lot of people killed. The movie turned that into ‘a hero saves the day!’ In the book Paul sees himself as the creator of this great catastrophe of the Fremen Jihad and is constantly trying to find another way. I’m the movie, his magic makes it rain on Arrakis and everything’s great.

Dune is my favorite book of all time and the Lynch movie is a piece of shit.

Reactions: Vic

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
🤡
Right-wingers:
🤡

2010: The gubmint secretly controls the media sheeple!!!
2020: The gubmint needs to control the media now!!!

blackangst1

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
So what the GOP wants is to maintain protections for social media companies only if they give up their right to edit content. Which is some special kind of ass backwards threat, because removing those protections makes social media responsible for content posted by users. Social media simply can't exist under those circumstances. The law obviously won't be changed to let that happen but they can be a PITA in the meanwhile.

We dont agree often, but I agree here. Censorship of any kind whether it be by social media companies or colleges is just plain wrong, and unconstitutional. Even perceived hate speech is protected.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
We dont agree often, but I agree here. Censorship of any kind whether it be by social media companies or colleges is just plain wrong, and unconstitutional. Even perceived hate speech is protected.
What’s interesting is that adjusting 230 is popular on the left and the right yet both would be very unhappy if it happened.

I think #bothsides is almost never true but here it really is.

Feb 4, 2009

Read the books first. The movie was way ahead of its time but tried to cram too much shit into one movie. Watching that version without some knowledge will be frustrating
The books are quite good, you should give them a read. There’s a little bit of everything...political intrigue, religious dogma, genetic engineering, science, anti-science, knife fights, acid trips; jihad and giant worms.

The David Lynch movie was too ambitious for its own good, but has some amazing design and a rocking Toto soundtrack...and Sting in a leather bikini if you’re into that.
I read those books a long time ago but this is a pretty accurate summary
I totally forgot about the bikini
FYI. They are releasing a new Dune soon

While the artistic direction was great, he botched THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE BOOK.

The fundamental point of the book in the author’s own words is ‘beware of heroes’. Heroes tend to get a lot of people killed. The movie turned that into ‘a hero saves the day!’ In the book Paul sees himself as the creator of this great catastrophe of the Fremen Jihad and is constantly trying to find another way. I’m the movie, his magic makes it rain on Arrakis and everything’s great.

Dune is my favorite book of all time and the Lynch movie is a piece of shit.

I think you are being a little harsh but I do understand your point.

I think in the more messy patched together WH40k realm
The President absolutely wants to be the God Emperor. 100% unquestionable Authority to do anything. Set an Entire World on Fire because there are some heretics (blue state non MAGA)....No Problem
Ultra Masculine Dudes like everywhere
Every Woman is really hot, absolutely
You can’t research anything, you need the machine spirits. You must pray that they arrive. Science and research are for noobs. God Emperor knows all why waste your time researching stuff. *BTW there are millions of colonized worlds and literally every single one is under attack in one way or another* Nobody has time to read a text book.
Super Loyal Military, until they get corrupted by Chaos
Royalty with absolute rule which is only surpassed by the Emperor
The Emperor literally sits on a giant golden throne. Only problem is he suffered a mortal wound tens of thousands of years ago. Nobody is sure if he is alive or dead. Nobody is brave enough to ask if the Emperor is dead.
Is the whole Empire being run by superstitions and rumor?
For @Starbuck1975 is the Astronamicaun (sp) the throne and not the Emperor?

1603081665934.jpeg

I find it fun to just read thru random links here but warning you need to just accept a bunch of stuff because it is either big or cool or both.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Read the books first. The movie was way ahead of its time but tried to cram too much shit into one movie. Watching that version without some knowledge will be frustrating

I read those books a long time ago but this is a pretty accurate summary
I totally forgot about the bikini

I think you are being a little harsh but I do understand your point.

I think in the more messy patched together WH40k realm
The President absolutely wants to be the God Emperor. 100% unquestionable Authority to do anything. Set an Entire World on Fire because there are some heretics (blue state non MAGA)....No Problem
Ultra Masculine Dudes like everywhere
Every Woman is really hot, absolutely
You can’t research anything, you need the machine spirits. You must pray that they arrive. Science and research are for noobs. God Emperor knows all why waste your time researching stuff. *BTW there are millions of colonized worlds and literally every single one is under attack in one way or another* Nobody has time to read a text book.
Super Loyal Military, until they get corrupted by Chaos
Royalty with absolute rule which is only surpassed by the Emperor
The Emperor literally sits on a giant golden throne. Only problem is he suffered a mortal wound tens of thousands of years ago. Nobody is sure if he is alive or dead. Nobody is brave enough to ask if the Emperor is dead.
Is the whole Empire being run by superstitions and rumor?
For @Starbuck1975 is the Astronamicaun (sp) the throne and not the Emperor?

View attachment 31980

I find it fun to just read thru random links here but warning you need to just accept a bunch of stuff because it is either big or cool or both.

To be clear I am entirely talking about the book that I have an unreasonable nerd boner for.

I was not trying to make any comparisons to Trump or anyone else - I was just nerd raging about a movie that got the entire point of my favorite book wrong.

Viper1j

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2018

Ever seen these before?

They're a rage with all the PRIVATELY OWNED BUSINESSES!

1603099206771.png1603099215847.png

Last edited: