Trump to impose tariffs on Mexico due to immigration/asylum issue, starting June 10

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
President Trump on Thursday said he would impose a 5 percent tariff on all goods entering from Mexico unless it stopped the flow of illegal immigration to the United States, a dramatic escalation of his border threats that could have sweeping implications for both economies.

Trump, in a series of Twitter posts, said the import penalties would go into effect June 10. He added they would increase in size until all illegal immigration across the border halts, a scenario that has never occurred in modern U.S. history.

He wrote that the tariffs would be applied to “all goods coming into our Country from Mexico, until such time as illegal migrants coming into our Country, STOP.”

Trump said in a statement later that the tariffs would go up to 10 percent on July 1 and then increase by an additional 5 percent on the first of each month for three months, “if the crisis persists.”

The economic consequences of Trump’s new plan could be swift and severe. U.S. companies will be required to pay the tariffs in the form of import penalties, and they often pass those costs along to consumers.

“This is huge because it really substantially hinders the operation of tightly woven supply chains across North America,” said Eswar Prasad, a senior professor of trade policy at Cornell University.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immi...0b4105f7ca0_story.html?utm_term=.325406db037d

This must be one of the dumbest fucking ideas I've seen and he's not short of them. Mexico has already promised to retaliate and they could easily halt their passage of his trade deal. Consumers are going to start feeling this immediately. Creating economic problems in Mexico isn't likely to REDUCE Mexican immigration, quite the opposite in fact.

Also the Chinese are going to squeeze his nuts big time now that he's opening another major trade war front.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Even if there was a way to accurately measure how many illegal immigrants are coming into the US, Trump and the GOP will never admit that illegal immigration has stopped because that would take away one of their biggest methods of riling up their base. This tariff, if imposed, will certainly make its way to the 25% mark by the end of the year for this reason alone, all while Americans are paying the piper with more expensive goods.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
If a wealthy nation like the US can't stop illegal immigration how does he expect Mexico to stop them? They still haven't paid for that wall like he promised...

With another 5% tax on my food I don't know how much longer I can afford to eat healthy. I may have to migrate south of the border.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
none of that statement from Mulvaney makes any kind of adult sense. Maybe children will understand it, but not likely. Too bored perhaps.

Anyway, glad I bought my Mexico-made, German, China, US, Japan-parted GTI a month ago!

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
If a wealthy nation like the US can't stop illegal immigration how does he expect Mexico to stop them? They still haven't paid for that wall like he promised...

With another 5% tax on my food I don't know how much longer I can afford to eat healthy. I may have to migrate south of the border.

To taco bell?

Reactions: purbeast0

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
More random ass tax increases on American consumers for no good reason.

WTF. Where is that little c$&nie Grover Norquist and his stupid tax pledge these days?

crying in a corner while eating spoonfuls of his own shit? I mean, that's one thing--but what about all the dickless conservatives in Congress that actually signed his pledge? lol. and to imagine that actual humans really vote for these diseased vegetables.

Reactions: CU and DarthKyrie

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
crying in a corner while eating spoonfuls of his own shit? I mean, that's one thing--but what about all the dickless conservatives in Congress that actually signed his pledge? lol. and to imagine that actual humans really vote for these diseased vegetables.

It's ridiculous. When Ds propose a 5 or 10% increase in gas taxes in order to fix roads, GOP heads explode.

But now we're just randomly placing 25% tax increases across wide swaths of consumer goods from various countries and it doesn't illicit even a peep.

Guess that's the game now, just call it a tariff. Let's fund the GND with tariffs on Mideast oil...
Yeah. Iranians are fixing our roads...

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
When you belong to a cult your beliefs are whatever the cult leader believes. Your principals no longer exist, your individuality no longer exists. You exist to support your cult leader and that's it.

That's the only way to explain the gop's behavior.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
It's ridiculous. When Ds propose a 5 or 10% increase in gas taxes in order to fix roads, GOP heads explode.

But now we're just randomly placing 25% tax increases across wide swaths of consumer goods from various countries and it doesn't illicit even a peep.

Guess that's the game now, just call it a tariff. Let's fund the GND with tariffs on Mideast oil...
Yeah. Iranians are fixing our roads...

The funny thing about that is how the Trump family has and is financing the Iranian Revolutionary Guard with that ridiculous boondogle project in Azerbaijan. Also funny how Trump tried to call his business partners a terrorist group about a month ago. lol

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2017/03/13/donald-trumps-worst-deal

I mean, this stuff is typically fodder for Tom Clancy fiction work, but the current US president is literally that exact evil mortherfucking corrupt villain. It's insane the level of depravity that shits out this man's syphilitic rectum every day.

Jack Bauer would have shoved 3 lbs of C4 up Trump's distended cornhole about 6 seasons ago. This shit is ridiculous.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Shorter tRump: "You better stop those brown people crossing the border or I'm going to punish the American people with a 5% tax on your goods!"

This makes sense to him. Republicans own this asshole, same with the people who voted for him. They've created dumbocracy.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
If elections come down to "it's the economy, stupid," Trump just handed the Democrats a big gift for 2020. Intentionally wrecking trade with a vital partner based on a technically unfeasible (if not impossible) goal is... not a good look.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001

We certainly can stop illegal immigration, we simply choose not to.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Following are the most important imports from Mexico.
Vehicles $74 Billion (Passenger cars, Vehicle parts)
Electrical Machinery $63 Billion (Flat screen TVs , Electrical Generators, Monitors)
Machinery $49 Billion
Crude Oil $14 Billion
Medical Instruments $12 Billion
Fresh Vegetables $4.8 Billion (Avocados, Tomatoes)
Fresh Fruits $4.3 Billion
Alcoholic Beverages $2.7 Billion (Beer, Tequila)
Rubber $2.4 Billion
Snack Foods $1.7 Billion
Processed Fruits and Vegetables $1.4 Billion

So cars, TV's, Monitors, Doctors visits, Food, Tequila all got more expensive!

Thanks Trump!

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I can't do anything but laugh. All those measly little tax cuts are nothing compared to the shit storm of increase in prices the US will be seeing in the next year or so.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
I can't do anything but laugh. All those measly little tax cuts are nothing compared to the shit storm of increase in prices the US will be seeing in the next year or so.

Yep will be interesting to see how those little red state Trump voters will survive on $7.25 an hour and they cut the food stamps!

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I said it in another post.
Trump is very pissed from the Mueller thing and he must kick something.
He doesn't have a dog so why not kick Mexico?
Only thing, he must kick Americans first to get to the Mexicans.
So Trump kicks Mexico and the stock market kicked your 401K.
ISN'T LIFE JUST PEACHY UNDER THIS SIX YEAR OLD DICTATOR?
Kids.... what ya gonna do?

Reactions: edblor

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Funny thing is, a good economy is the best thing trump has to get reelected, and thus keep his ass out of jail. Hes doing his absolute damndest to fuck that all to hell, because hes too stupid to know better.

I'd be laughing my balls off right now at the irony if it weren't for A) the destruction of our political system, B) my declining portfolio, and C) more expensive tequlla.

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Following are the most important imports from Mexico.
Vehicles $74 Billion (Passenger cars, Vehicle parts)
Electrical Machinery $63 Billion (Flat screen TVs , Electrical Generators, Monitors)
Machinery $49 Billion
Crude Oil $14 Billion
Medical Instruments $12 Billion
Fresh Vegetables $4.8 Billion (Avocados, Tomatoes)
Fresh Fruits $4.3 Billion
Alcoholic Beverages $2.7 Billion (Beer, Tequila)
Rubber $2.4 Billion
Snack Foods $1.7 Billion
Processed Fruits and Vegetables $1.4 Billion

So cars, TV's, Monitors, Doctors visits, Food, Tequila all got more expensive!

Thanks Trump!

A lot of supply chain managers are waking up in tears this morning.