Trump to Drop Call for Medicare to Negotiate Lower Drug Prices

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Medicate Part D currently costs $88 billion per year...not $1 trillion. If Democrats feel so strongly about the cost, perhaps they need to include its repeal as part of their party platform. Yeah...f*ck seniors...especially the poor ones. That should go over well.

The $1 trillion figure was an estimate of it's 10 year cost, which is how government program spending is most commonly measured. As for how Democrats feel about the cost that's irrelevant. You said Republicans preferred to cut spending, something that's laughably false given their record. Over the last 20 years or so Republicans have shown that they like increasing spending combined with large, debt financed tax cuts when Republicans are in power. They then proceed to lie about how they value fiscal responsibility when Democrats are in power when their real goal is to prevent the enactment of government programs designed to help the poor.

Their dishonesty is completely obvious to anyone paying attention but years of conservative attacks on the media have cowed the supposedly liberal media into credulously reporting on these lies instead of just calling them out for what they are. I have zero doubt that next time Democrats take power Republicans will suddenly discover fiscal responsibility again and lament as to how they 'lost their way in 2016', and I have zero doubt that after a few stories noting their previous hypocrisy the media will go back to pretending to believe them so as not to be called biased.

Democrats are welcome to join Republicans and offset the tax break with spending cuts...but their actual passion for fiscal responsibility seems to ebb and flow depending on which way the partisan winds are blowing that particular day. Not saying Republicans are any better...but don't give me that horseshit concern for "fiscal responsibility" rhetoric....it's damn near as insincere as Republicans.

This has to be willful denial of reality at this point. Why would Democrats want to include spending cuts? The tax cuts are what should have been done away with, adding more foolish policy on top doesn't help anything. The fiscally responsible thing to do would have been to couple lowered rates with closed loopholes like the Republicans initially claimed they wanted to do. The problem with that of course is that wouldn't accomplish their main objective, which was to give more money to rich people. So instead they just did that, financed by public debt. Total fiscal irresponsibility. Let's contrast that with the last big piece of legislation Democrats put through, the ACA. That was an extremely fiscally responsible piece of legislation and it actually reduced the deficit. So yeah, both parties had a chance to implement their vision in major legislation going forward. The Democrats decided to be fiscally responsible and the Republicans threw fiscal responsibility out the window. More #bothsides bullshit designed to excuse Republican hypocrisy.

I imagine your next move will refuse to acknowledge this and instead complain about the high deficits under Obama, ignoring the fact that he was fighting catastrophic financial crisis that all logical economics said called for government spending to make up for a lack of private demand.

You guys? I know this may difficult for you to understand...but I don't represent a collective....I just me being me.

You seem to have misunderstood me, I was saying that you are repeating a number of transparent lies with a (presumably, haha) straight face. This is fairly common for conservatives these days.

Nov 25, 2013
ROFLMAO. And people say that he doesn't have a sense of humour. :)

I just remembered...I need to call my insurance company to see why my blood thinner med is now costing me $250 instead of the $18 I've been paying since my heart attack last year. Here's to hoping that Trump can make an actual difference regarding these Big Pharma rat bastards.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Obama promised to change Medicare in order to allow for negotiation of lower prices...instead he secretly met with Big Pharma and agreed to continue fucking us instead.
I'm under the impression that actually this provision was part of the original ACA but in order to court 2 republican votes so that the ACA would pass with some republican support, the provision was removed at the request of those two republican senators during the amendment process . Then they voted against the entire thing anyway despite getting what they wanted.

So you may want to rethink your concept of who is to blame. Dems for caving in to GOP members that weren't negotiating in good faith and actually trying to sabotage policies the majority of us want. Or the GOP for actually sabotaging policies we all want.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Obama promised to change Medicare in order to allow for negotiation of lower prices...instead he secretly met with Big Pharma and agreed to continue fucking us instead.

I will agree with you that the big pharma obamacare negotations that basically kept the status quo for that industry were a huge disappointment to myself and other liberals. Even with that the ACA just got the amount of votes needed to pass so it's a tough call. In politics there must be compromises however this was a very tough one to swallow, I agree.

Nov 30, 2006
I will agree with you that the big pharma obamacare negotations that basically kept the status quo for that industry were a huge disappointment to myself and other liberals. Even with that the ACA just got the amount of votes needed to pass so it's a tough call. In politics there must be compromises however this was a very tough one to swallow, I agree.
You sir are a breath of fresh air. Nothing is simple. Thank you for this post.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Then how does "Conservatives prefer to reduce spending instead....but liberals block these efforts at every turn." make sense? Don't repubs have the control they need in government to reduce spending if they wanted to?
Republicans long stopped caring about being fiscally conservative. How much has the national debt gone up since Trump has been in office?