Trump takes credit for low unemployment based on phony and fictitious jobs reports.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
According to Trump the federal government generates jobs reports that are "90% fiction".
https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/trump--jobs-report-is-90--fiction-599323203679

Yet he's is taking credit for low unemployment numbers. Pretty much same workers who generate reports. Same methodology used to generate reports. However I'm sure Trump lemmings will justify it somehow.

Here's Trump taking credit for low unemployment based on phony numbers...
http://www.cnn.com/2018/01/10/politics/donald-trump-african-american-unemployment/index.html

Here's all the times Trump called the jobs report or unemployment reports phony

Sep. 7, 2012

“Unemployment rate only dropped because more people are out of labor force & have stopped looking for work. Not a real recovery, phony numbers”

Oct. 19, 2012
"7.8% unemployment number is a complete fraud as evidenced by the jobless claims number released yesterday. Real unemployment is at least 15%”

Aug. 11, 2013
“We can rev up this economy like it should be, not with false numbers like 7.4 percent unemployment. But with real numbers.”

May 31, 2014
“Unemployment is a totally phony number.”

June 16, 2015
“Our real unemployment is anywhere from 18 to 20 percent. Don't believe the 5.6. Don't believe it.”

Aug. 11, 2015
“Then you hear there's a 5.4 percent unemployment. It's really — if you add it up, it's probably 40 percent if you think about it.”

Aug. 30, 2015
“They show those phony statistics where we are 5.4 percent unemployment. The real number, I saw a number that could be 42 percent, believe it or not.”

Sept. 28, 2015
“I hear 5.3 percent unemployment, that is the biggest joke there is in this country. That number is so false.”

Sept. 29, 2015
“The number is not reflective. I have seen numbers of 24 percent. I saw a number of 42 percent unemployment. … That number is so false.”

Oct. 9, 2015
“They say 5.3 percent employment. The number is probably 32 percent.”

Oct. 11, 2015
“Nobody has jobs. … It is not a real economy. It is a phony set of numbers. They cooked the books.”

Jan. 17, 2016
“Look again, you hear these phony jobs numbers? People that gave up looking for jobs? They are considered employed.”

Feb. 9, 2016
“Don't believe those phony numbers when you hear 4.9 and 5 percent unemployment. As high as 35 — as in fact, I heard recently, 42 percent.”

March 12, 2016
“The numbers are phony. These are all phony numbers. Numbers given to politicians to look good. These are phony numbers.”

May 24, 2016
“You hear a 5 percent unemployment rate. It's such a phony number. That number was put in for presidents and for politicians so that they look good to the people.”

July 7, 2016
“The phony 5 percent numbers that we hear about with the unemployment.”

Aug. 8, 2016
“The 5 percent figure is one of the biggest hoaxes in modern politics.”

Nov. 4, 2016
“The terrible jobs report that just came out … you can see phony numbers, 5 percent.”

Dec. 8, 2016
“The unemployment number, as you know, is totally fiction.”

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I don't see the problem here. He stopping them from cooking the books and dropped the real unemployment rate from 42% to 4%. Hopefully Trump can be President forever.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Good post. It never ceases to amaze me just how brainwashed and mindless right-wing media listeners are.

For the right wingers living in this new world of Trump, I think it all boils down to something like "If all you have to eat is mushy bullshit, then the more you fluff it up with pretty hateful words and sauce it with nice swift libelous catchphrases about Obama or Hillary, the easier it will be to choke down." ;)

Reactions: Meghan54

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Trump has a point. Those numbers are phony. Were those statements all made previous to him working for government? Everyone gets corrupted like that. Now that he's part of the machine he has to take some things more seriously, and those are the numbers he's provided with. If he wasn't hypocritical then you'd be making the alternative reality thread: "US president claims US releases phony data! What an embarrassment! How irresponsible!"

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Trump has a point. Those numbers are phony. Were those statements all made previous to him working for government? Everyone gets corrupted like that. Now that he's part of the machine he has to take some things more seriously, and those are the numbers he's provided with. If he wasn't hypocritical then you'd be making the alternative reality thread: "US president claims US releases phony data! What an embarrassment! How irresponsible!"

Of course they aren’t phony. Don’t be ridiculous.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Of course they aren’t phony. Don’t be ridiculous.

Nope. The same numbers using the same basic data/formulas was phony when other presidents were in office, but with Trump in office, it's accurate data...totally the best info.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

Derp

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
But we should be expecting many conservative posters to show up soon and argue for pages about how the books are cooked like they did under Obama.

It is interesting how the government apparently stopped conspiring to lower the unemployment and inflation rate around January of 2017. I imagine they will start again in 2021.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Odd how the oft touted Labor Participation Rate is like Fight Club to them now, too... Wasn't that a thing during Obama's term? A big, big thing? Yuge?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Odd how the oft touted Labor Participation Rate is like Fight Club to them now, too... Wasn't that a thing during Obama's term? A big, big thing? Yuge?

It’s almost as if their arguments about the unemployment rate weren’t genuine!

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Seems a little tough for some to understand. It's like those $20 bodyfat scales that send a signal through your body and measure the impedence. It's not accurate, but you can still use it for relative measurements. You know you probably aren't 16% bodyfat, but when it starts going down it's still meaningful.

So Trump isn't even really being hypocritical. He's just comparing phony data over time.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Seems a little tough for some to understand. It's like those $20 bodyfat scales that send a signal through your body and measure the impedence. It's not accurate, but you can still use it for relative measurements. You know you probably aren't 16% bodyfat, but when it starts going down it's still meaningful.

So Trump isn't even really being hypocritical. He's just comparing phony data over time.

It's certainly tough for someone here to understand, haha.

“I talked to the president prior to this and he said to quote him very clearly,” Spicer said. “They may have been phony in the past, but they are very real now.”

https://www.mediaite.com/online/spi...been-phony-in-the-past-but-its-very-real-now/

Reactions: mcavoy80

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Jul 9, 2009
"We cannot change the cards we are dealt, just how we play the game."
Randy Pausch

He's playing the cards he was dealt, in the fashion the game has been played. Deal with it.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Randy Pausch

He's playing the cards he was dealt, in the fashion the game has been played. Deal with it.
We know. He is now using the numbers he once called phony and undeserving of implying credit to a former President to give credit to himself. What we are dealing with, successfully, it seems to me,. is that he's a hypocritical sack of shit. I am glad you agree.

Reactions: imported_tajmahal

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Randy Pausch

So are the numbers phony now or back during Obama's administration?

Jul 9, 2009
We know. He is now using the numbers he once called phony and undeserving of implying credit to a former President to give credit to himself. What we are dealing with, successfully, it seems to me,. is that he's a hypocritical sack of shit. I am glad you agree.
I do.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004

Wait, you actually agree that Trump is a hypocritical sack of shit? If so, we'd better remember this moment for posterity: a moment when you were willing to be genuinely critical of Trump instead of giving him a pass on absolutely everything, like you normally do.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Wait, you actually agree that Trump is a hypocritical sack of shit? If so, we'd better remember this moment for posterity: a moment when you were willing to be genuinely critical of Trump instead of giving him a pass on absolutely everything, like you normally do.

Please, he'll be back in a second with another word salad that essentially is meaningless except to shift his "intended" meaning, or get pedantic about the meaning of a word, or goalpost move.....or any of the other weaseling he so aptly performs.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
So either hypocrisy or he simply changed his mind. The important thing is that we agree that the data is phony.