Trump NY Criminal Trial

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
I’m about 95% sure that the Feds would come and insist he be released from prison.

As a basic idea you sort of can’t have a situation where a single state can disable the federal government by arresting the president.

If he is imprisoned, there is no chance he will win the election.

Uhtrinity

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2003
Lol sleepy orange monkey. But lunch break. Reporters noticed he drifted earlier.
I have been wondering how he would handle these full 'work days' while in public semi view. He claims he works such long hours.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Lol a Repugican has no chance to be NY governor
I'd like to introduce you to a 6:3 supreme court with an easily bribable Clarence Thomas. They will ignore any separation of state/federal powers on this issue. Remember, right now in the supreme court, the ends justify the means even if the means are unconstitutional.

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002
Jonah Bromwich

April 15, 2024, 11:51 a.m. ET1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Jonah Bromwich

It’s dead quiet in here as Merchan weighs the latest decision in real time.
Only the soft, rhythmic farting and deep snoring of the defendant have broken the silence.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: iRONic

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
If he is imprisoned, there is no chance he will win the election.
I'm not so sure. That's definitely the reaction of a sane public in a rational world.

I also fear that all bets are off about state vs federal powers if Trump gets into office. When has Trump cared about rules and norms? Red states at least will go along with anything he does. The only thing that seemingly stopped him was "Deep State" handlers distracting and leading him to some other ooo shiny the first term. He won't make that mistake again. He'll attempt revenge on anyone who he thinks has wronged him, and who is going to stop him once he gives some illegal order? Let's just say it's an open question. Seems like our government mostly works because the people in it have mostly stuck to those rules and norms voluntarily. Who controls Congress will have a lot to say I think in how much President Trump 2 actually pulls off.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'd like to introduce you to a 6:3 supreme court with an easily bribable Clarence Thomas. They will ignore any separation of state/federal powers on this issue. Remember, right now in the supreme court, the ends justify the means even if the means are unconstitutional.
I suspect it would be a 9-0 ruling that a state can't imprison the president. You can't run a country of 50 states where any one of those 50 can halt the functions of the federal government by imprisoning the chief executive.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I'm not so sure. That's definitely the reaction of a sane public in a rational world.

I also fear that all bets are off about state vs federal powers if Trump gets into office. When has Trump cared about rules and norms? Red states at least will go along with anything he does. The only thing that seemingly stopped him was "Deep State" handlers distracting and leading him to some other ooo shiny the first term. He won't make that mistake again. He'll attempt revenge on anyone who he thinks has wronged him, and who is going to stop him once he gives some illegal order? Let's just say it's an open question. Seems like our government mostly works because the people in it have mostly stuck to those rules and norms voluntarily. Who controls Congress will have a lot to say I think in how much President Trump 2 actually pulls off.
All democracies work because the parties buy into the system to at least some extent. After all if they didn't why would any party voluntarily hand over power to their opponents?

This is the big problem we are facing now I think, that David Frum was right when he said if conservatives realize they can't achieve their goals democratically they will not abandon conservatism, they will abandon democracy. We're seeing that here.

Reactions: Brainonska511

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
Understood, but it's also hard to run a country when your "leader" is a raping fraudulent con man who only escaped jail due to being elected. I sure as hell will be calling him President Rapist every chance I get, though honestly that might get me shot down here due to "stand your ground" laws...

Edit: responding more to your earlier post on the states.

outriding

Diamond Member
Feb 20, 2002
I agree tossing him in jail he is going to play the sympathy card

For now fine him a good amount say 25k

Make it known next time is 250k

Third time 250k and 2 weeks in jail. With no contact

But I feel it needs to be clearly defined the punishment

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
This is the big problem we are facing now I think, that David Frum was right when he said if conservatives realize they can't achieve their goals democratically they will not abandon conservatism, they will abandon democracy. We're seeing that here.
True, but I would argue that they abandoned conservatism quite a few years back. Now it is tribalism that they won't abandon.

Reactions: fskimospy

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Jonah Bromwich

April 15, 2024, 11:51 a.m. ET1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Jonah Bromwich

It’s dead quiet in here as Merchan weighs the latest decision in real time.
Only the soft, rhythmic farting and deep snoring of the defendant have broken the silence.
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but...those were not farts.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
They have 500 potential jurors. They brought in first 100 after lunch. Judge asked can you be impartial. Over half of this group said no. They’ve been dismissed.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
You are literally taking your life into your hands going against the chosen one (assuming they find out who you are). There's got to be at least a few people saying "nope, I had made plans to not be killed by crazy people this year."

Indus

Lifer
May 11, 2002
I think Trump has proven beyond a reasonable doubt we're a shithole country!

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
The great orange stain can’t stay awake for a few hours but will lead the US. 😂🙄
He woke up for lunch ~ to send out another social media message violating the gag order (this was shortly after the judge scheduled a hearing for next week, on his alleged prior violations of the gag order...)