Trump nominates handbag designer to be ambassador to South Africa

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Not sure if real....

But no doubt that resident Trump nut-ticklers will be in soon, certain that this is an excellent pick for all sorts of reasons. So, some handbag designer who's qualifications total: "Florida neighbor of Trump," that hasn't lived in her home country for 40 years?

She's probably going to show up there thinking that Apartheid is still law. I'm not even joking.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Ambassadorships have always been mostly purely political payoffs, since forever. I'm not going to waste my time getting upset about this, when there are far more dangerous and damaging things being done to our democracy at the moment.

Last edited:

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m 100% certain she won’t insert herself/US or meddle in any other way with that whole land reform issue. Nope. She won’t touch it with a 10 foot pole.

/s

Jul 9, 2009
I should give a rat's ass ? Why? The Vienna Convention clearly states that if they don't like an ambassador they can declare her persona non grata. It's up to South Africa what they want.

"Article 9. The host nation at any time and for any reason can declare a particular member of the diplomatic staff to be persona non grata. The sending state must recall this person within a reasonable period of time, or otherwise this person may lose their diplomatic immunity."

Reactions: SlowSpyder

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I should give a rat's ass ? Why? The Vienna Convention clearly states that if they don't like an ambassador they can declare her persona non grata. It's up to South Africa what they want.

"Article 9. The host nation at any time and for any reason can declare a particular member of the diplomatic staff to be persona non grata. The sending state must recall this person within a reasonable period of time, or otherwise this person may lose their diplomatic immunity."

Because an ambassador should have relevant experience beyond simply having been born in that country? I know, the notion of someone having appropriate competency for a given job is foreign to Trump supporters, but it's a common practice in... well, the rest of the planet.

Jul 9, 2009
Because an ambassador should have relevant experience beyond simply having been born in that country? I know, the notion of someone having appropriate competency for a given job is foreign to Trump supporters, but it's a common practice in... well, the rest of the planet.
Usually it's a common practice to reward friends, donors and allies to choice little ambassadorial postings, but lie about it if you want.

Reactions: SlowSpyder

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
Shirley-Temple.jpg

another unqualified ambassador

Jul 9, 2009
Good thing she's not around any more. Trump would probably barge into her dressing room and grab her by the pussy.
If he was truly as evil as you think, maybe he could order her dug up? Make up a story and put it out there, someone will pick it up i'm sure. Maybe if you include Judge Kavanaugh in the story you'll get a twofer.

Nov 8, 2012
Ambassadorships have always been mostly purely political payoffs, since forever. I not going to waste my time getting upset about this, when there are far more dangerous and damaging things being done to our democracy at the moment.

Pretty much.

I mean certainly related was Equifax hired their Chief Security Officer from someone that majored in Music Studies.... Gee I wonder why they had a massive data breach?

Obvious corruption circle jerk of a swamp of "friends" and "friends of friends" is obvious in those cases.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Usually it's a common practice to reward friends, donors and allies to choice little ambassadorial postings, but lie about it if you want.

They should still have experience beyond "well, she lived there once." And "others did it" doesn't make it a good move.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
Should have made her ambassador to South Korea, since we still don't have one of those.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Mostly based on how much money they raised for their campaigns. The big ones, UK, Japan, France, ect, they usually try to find someone who has some experience though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Was this just another donor kick back, or do we have Ivanka to thank for this latest example of nepotism?

Let me guess: she only speaks English and doesn't have experience in anything other than selling luxury purses.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Mostly based on how much money they raised for their campaigns. The big ones, UK, Japan, France, ect, they usually try to find someone who has some experience though.

Large and important countries usually get someone who isn't an idiot, comes with a State or intelligence background, and has (at least) a general working knowledge of the host country and it's history. Language skills are a plus if not a necessity. Bush sent an ambassador to France who didn't speak French. Went over great, but they dropped it when it was clear our president could barely manage English.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2009
Large and important countries usually get someone who isn't an idiot, comes with a State or intelligence background, and has a general working knowledge of the host country and it's history. Language skills are a plus if not a necessity. Bush sent an ambassador to France who didn't speak French. Went over great, but they dropped it when it was clear our president could barely manage English.

There are eleven official languages of South Africa: Afrikaans, English, Ndebele, Northern Sotho, Sotho, SiSwati, Tsonga, Tswana, Venda, Xhosa and Zulu.
Let's wait until we get an ambassador that speaks them all, right?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_South_Africa

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Was this just another donor kick back, or do we have Ivanka to thank for this latest example of nepotism?

Let me guess: she only speaks English and doesn't have experience in anything other than selling luxury purses.

While I'm not enthusiastic about the appointment, only speaking English isn't necessarily a huge barrier in South Africa. English is a lingua franca in the country, and there are certain regions (like Natal) where English is frequently the main language. Odds are that a South African official will know English in addition to whatever their native tongue might be.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
So Trump's new bag person in South Africa? One BMW filled with krugerrand coming up.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

I love how you've just given up completely on embracing a single minimum standard of competence, without corruption, in government.

How little you seem to give a shit about yourself.

Reactions: Meghan54