News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 130 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
One thing I haven't been clear on is how they knew there were more? Did they ever state that they knew what was 'missing'? I didn't see where that got called out. I would have thought the subpoena, but for that to hold water, there had to be some very good probable cause and something to back it up besides 'he gave us some already'.
Lots of speculation that they had inside informant (and lots of searching around camp Trump for the leaker)

Reactions: ImpulsE69

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
Trump's updated defense - he can declassify just by thinking about it...
Which of course, doesn't make it true, nor does it give him any rights to hold onto the documents.

Although one must wonder about where "wherever" is, in his ability to send classified documents to Mar Lago or wherever he mentions in the excerpt... and he seems to be basically admitting to taking classified government documents here (that he pretends now to have waved magic wand to declassify) and failed to return in response to nearly 2 years of requests and a court subpoena.

Pohemi

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
I'm exactly what's wanted in a juror because I'm only interested in what can be proven. Hearsay, speculation, and what I want to believe don't enter the equation.
LOLOL. That's rich. "What you want to believe" is ALL that enters your equations and statements that you post here. It also conflicts with all the available evidence uncovered so far. You don't have to spell out exactly what you actually believe to be true. It is more than obvious through what you DO (or don't) say.

A regular Bobby Boucher, lugging all that agua around. Except, you're a more dishonest, shittier person.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Since the FBI need the documents, that must mean the chrags are more than for taking classififed material. Otherwise the contents of the materials wouldn't matter just that classified material were taken. One scenario would be they find the material elsewhere and want to see if it's a copy of what Trump had in his possession.

Reactions: Zorba

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Which of course, doesn't make it true, nor does it give him any rights to hold onto the documents.

Although one must wonder about where "wherever" is, in his ability to send classified documents to Mar Lago or wherever he mentions in the excerpt... and he seems to be basically admitting to taking classified government documents here (that he pretends now to have waved magic wand to declassify) and failed to return in response to nearly 2 years of requests and a court subpoena.

...with MFKN MIIIND BULLETS!

• Haha
Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999

And also, just like that, Biden can reclassify it all, bam, done. There isn't anything saying that once something is declassified that it can't be reclassified.

Regardless it's all a red herring and everyone should stop talking about it.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

This should make Fox liable for something…

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Haha. I saw someone parrot this latest excuse on Fox's FB page. Maybe the answer is Biden just "thought back" the classification when he took the oath
Trump says presidents can declassify docs ‘even by thinking about it’ (msn.com)
You can tell how desperate Trump is with how creative his excuses are becoming. Trying now to pass the buck to GSA (general services admin) employees whom he alleges packed the docs into boxes as he was leaving the WH. GSA denied the claim and said their task was only to ship the boxes, not assist in packing them.

I just hope the day comes when his base will recognize they've been gas-lit so bad as to look absolutely stupid after all these years.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You can tell how desperate Trump is with how creative his excuses are becoming. Trying now to pass the buck to GSA (general services admin) employees whom he alleges packed the docs into boxes as he was leaving the WH. GSA denied the claim and said their task was only to ship the boxes, not assist in packing them.

I just hope the day comes when his base will recognize they've been gas-lit so bad as to look absolutely stupid after all these years.
Yeah I’m sure some random GSA employee saw all those top secret documents and decided to load them into a box. Lol.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Exactly. This is an either/or defense. Either he can claim he psychically declassified the documents (LOL) or that he was unaware they were taken to Mara Lago. Not both. But then, contradictory arguments are well within Trump's wheelhouse.

The feds need to do what (as far as I know) no one has ever done before...get him on the stand and under oath...but his lawyers will do everything possible to prevent that.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
The feds need to do what (as far as I know) no one has ever done before...get him on the stand and under oath...but his lawyers will do everything possible to prevent that.

Yes, but if Trump wants to claim he psychically declassified the documents, he literally has no choice but to testify. If declassification was in his mind alone, I don't see any other option. This isn't like with his SM motion where his lawyers argued he might have declassified the docs but presented no evidence. It can't work like that in a jury trial.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yes, but if Trump wants to claim he psychically declassified the documents, he literally has no choice but to testify. If declassification was in his mind alone, I don't see any other option. This isn't like with his SM motion where his lawyers argued he might have declassified the docs but presented no evidence. It can't work like that in a jury trial.
I think any competent defense attorney would personally strangle Trump before allowing him to get on the witness stand for cross examination.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The problem with this, of course, is that if then President Trump can wave his magic wand and declassify documents, then that same wand passed to now President Biden can be waved to reclassify them. Leaving Trump holding classified documents that he refused to turn over....
Just got worse; now he is claiming he can just 'think' they are declassified and they are declassified ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Also if they packed the boxes how did he know what documents he was psychically declassifying?
Probably when he moved the documents he said he didn't have into his desk drawer; of course he was no longer president at that point but that shouldn't stop him from being able to declassify them ;)

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Just got worse; now he is claiming he can just 'think' they are declassified and they are declassified ;)

That seems like a dangerous system. Don't know about Trump but my thoughts can go all over the place, sometimes without conscious control, sometimes at random. What if the President had a bad dream and were to accidentally declassify every military secret the US has? Or the opposite, and through a stray thought classify every part of the government so millions of people would be breaking the espionage act without even knowing it?