News Trump: Mar-a-Lago just raided by FBI

Page 159 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It still becomes a straight up political appointment controlled by whoever has the majority. We need a way to get the court beyond that. I don't care who is running the show this year or next, I want the court to rule based on the constitution. That's their job and I want them to do it. They tossed Roe back to the states which was a crappy decision, but it was a constitutional decision, so it was the right decision.
If the constitution needs to change there are mechanisms for doing that, the supreme court isn't one of them.
That’s literally what is happening now, and what we need to fix. The Supreme Court is rewriting the constitution and any laws they don’t personally agree with.

For example the EPA ruling. The law was clear the EPA had the authority to issue the regulation. The Supreme Court didn’t like the regulation though so they invented the ‘major questions’ doctrine out of thin air with no basis in the constitution.

So if you want judges to rule based on the constitution the best answer is to take their individual power away so they can’t legislate.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
gotta agree, packing the courts is the way to go.
"but repubs will pack back" sure, and then you keep going back and forth until the replacement of any 1 judge, or even a few, is meaningless.

Back on topic, trump has been experiencing a multitude of court losses in the past week. Seems like the walls are slowly closing in.

Also if I'm not mistaken, incitement of the overthrow of the government is enough to prevent one from being a federal employee....

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It still becomes a straight up political appointment controlled by whoever has the majority. We need a way to get the court beyond that. I don't care who is running the show this year or next, I want the court to rule based on the constitution. That's their job and I want them to do it. They tossed Roe back to the states which was a crappy decision, but it was a constitutional decision, so it was the right decision.
If the constitution needs to change there are mechanisms for doing that, the supreme court isn't one of them.

This is what we would all like, but no one has come up with a way to accomplish it. It is basically impossible to amend the constitution in the current political climate. So If you have a solution that can actually work the world would be most interested in hearing it.

Failing any solution that can directly address the issue we have to find a solution that can indirectly address the issue, and the only one that I have heard that seems to have a chance at working is packing the court so that the political affiliation of any given justice is not so impactful.

Reactions: Pohemi and pmv

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is what we would all like, but no one has come up with a way to accomplish it. It is basically impossible to amend the constitution in the current political climate. So If you have a solution that can actually work the world would be most interested in hearing it.

Failing any solution that can directly address the issue we have to find a solution that can indirectly address the issue, and the only one that I have heard that seems to have a chance at working is packing the court so that the political affiliation of any given justice is not so impactful.
It is also rarely mentioned that the constitution provides checks and balances - one of the primary checks on the judiciary is that Congress controls the number of judges and their jurisdiction.

People love to talk about judicial review as a check on the power of the political branches in case they get out of control. Well, here’s the check on the power of the judicial branch and we should use it.

What is the point to a constitutional amendment that would merely reaffirm powers congress already has?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

All very good points. My one and only issue is that packing the court is a short term solution. Every four or eight years we'd add enough members to swing the political agenda the other direction. That doesn't produce consistent government. Soon enough the courts agenda would devolve into overturning prior decisions. We need better judges, but I have no idea where to get them.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
All very good points. My one and only issue is that packing the court is a short term solution. Every four or eight years we'd add enough members to swing the political agenda the other direction. That doesn't produce consistent government. Soon enough the courts agenda would devolve into overturning prior decisions. We need better judges, but I have no idea where to get them.

That is literally what is happening right now. The court is already political. I'd rather have the agenda swing to the party in power each time than permanent minority rule which is basically what we have. At least then the decisions of the court would reflect the will of the people.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
You are absolutely right, but as others have pointed out that is where we are right now. Only now it takes decades for the court to change. Just a couple of bad judges and our court can be broken. It is currently making decisions that are both politically motivated and largely unpopular. Either one of those on it's own would probably be okay (not ideal, but acceptable), both of them together will create anarchy. The courts work on the faith of the people, and they are losing that.

There is no problem finding better judges then those sitting on the high bench, there a plenty of them. The problem is that the politicians that appoint the judges are not looking for good judges, they are looking for political judges. It is but a symptom of a larger problem, namely that Congress is broken. But like many a sickness it is often the symptoms that kill you.

Reactions: Pohemi

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
So Greenman tells us what he doesn't want the court to become, when in fact it has already become that and he's been voting for the people that have made it that way. lol

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So Greenman tells us what he doesn't want the court to become, when in fact it has already become that and he's been voting for the people that have made it that way. lol
And as you imply, the people he's voting for not only have no incentive to fix it, they actively want to make it worse.

As I've said before the advantages to packing the court are:
1) Checks and balances. The judicial branch is currently usurping the power of the executive and legislative branches. It's time to return balance to the government.
2) Rule of law. The current court is often logically incoherent even within its own opinions, much less across opinions. It's outcomes based judging.
3) Lower the stakes of judicial confirmations. If a justice retires it means a lot less if there are 100 of them.
4) Negotiating leverage and the best chance to actually fix this. Tell Republicans that we can have a deal to fix the court on balanced terms for both parties (fixed term limits, every president appoints 2 or whatever, etc.) If they reject this deal Democrats will pack it big time and fill it up with Democratic partisans. Republicans may very well reject this deal but it's the best shot we have.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Lol doh. Watching on tv, no link. But orange monkey lawyers hired outside group to search 4 other properties. They found classified material.

Reactions: hal2kilo

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Packing the court is a great idea, intellectually. And I actually think some progressives believe it can happen.

Therein lies the problem. It's not happening anytime soon, it's not realistic, and it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the political environment we are actually in.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Here's an article. It says 2 classified docs were found in a sealed box in a storage facility.

So what you're telling me is that "all the material was returned" was not actually "all the material was returned"
(Classified records or not, presidential records are property of the USG)

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Packing the court is a great idea, intellectually. And I actually think some progressives believe it can happen.

Therein lies the problem. It's not happening anytime soon, it's not realistic, and it shows a fundamental lack of understanding of the political environment we are actually in.
Whether or not it's realistic isn't relevant IMO as it's the only answer. So even if the political situation now doesn't permit it you keep pushing until it does.

There is no other answer other than Congress and the president just refusing to abide by their rulings. It will eventually come to that unless we pack the court too.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo
Mar 11, 2004
Here's an article. It says 2 classified docs were found in a sealed box in a storage facility.

Another fucked up aspect of all of this, that's just the physical documents. Even if Turmp was into physical documents themselves, I guarantee you others in that sphere were not and there's someone with likely phone full of pictures of classified documents. And it could be multiple people since he was so wanton with them.

Dave_5k

Golden Member
May 23, 2017
In completely unrelated news, Andreii Derkach was indicted in federal court for fraud and money laundering in the US, after previously being sanctioned by the Trump administration for his work as a Russian intelligence asset over the past decade. Amongst other activities, attempting to corruptly influence the 2020 US presidential election. Andreii worked directly with Mr. Guiliani, amongst others in Trump's orbit, providing false conspiracy theories about Hunter Biden's involvement with Burisma in Ukraine, which ultimately ended up contributing to one of Trump's impeachments.

Reactions: Pohemi and hal2kilo

rommelrommel

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2002
So what you're telling me is that "all the material was returned" was not actually "all the material was returned"
(Classified records or not, presidential records are property of the USG)

Also, all kept at Mar-a-lago means not all kept at Mar-a-lago.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
This is really weird. We know Trump wouldn't care about any documents for historical purposes, and he's definitely not going to frame them and nail them to his bedroom wall as a keepsake, so why take the documents..... Donald?

I think it's clear, Trump had a much more sinister plot in mind. Probably concocted by Rudy or Flynn or very possibly by Steve Bannon. I don't think Trump is smart enough to care about documents especially documents Trump has never read, but someone close to Trump does care very much and is putting ideas into Trump's head.
Could it have to do with their usefulness in future blackmail schemes? Or, to bribe foreign interest? I'm sure Putin would gladly give Trump and his family safe haven in Russia for such documents, especially the documents pertaining to America nukes.

People really have not a clue as to whom they are dealing with here in this former president. And we thought Trump's orchestrated insurrection was as bad as it could get. We're not even close to what this traitor is capable of doing against America. The America where Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin share one thing in common, they both have no respect for American democracy what so ever. None!

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is really weird. We know Trump wouldn't care about any documents for historical purposes, and he's definitely not going to frame them and nail them to his bedroom wall as a keepsake, so why take the documents..... Donald?

I think it's clear, Trump had a much more sinister plot in mind. Probably concocted by Rudy or Flynn or very possibly by Steve Bannon. I don't think Trump is smart enough to care about documents especially documents Trump has never read, but someone close to Trump does care very much and is putting ideas into Trump's head.
Could it have to do with their usefulness in future blackmail schemes? Or, to bribe foreign interest? I'm sure Putin would gladly give Trump and his family safe haven in Russia for such documents, especially the documents pertaining to America nukes.

People really have not a clue as to whom they are dealing with here in this former president. And we thought Trump's orchestrated insurrection was as bad as it could get. We're not even close to what this traitor is capable of doing against America. The America where Donald Trump and Vladimir Putin share one thing in common, they both have no respect for American democracy what so ever. None!
I think he’s a narcissistic idiot who took things because it made him feel special.