Trump: "I made Juneteenth very famous."

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000

What in the actual hell!?! is going on here?!

Mr. Trump said he polled many people around him, none of whom had heard of Juneteenth. Mr. Trump paused the interview to ask an aide if she had heard of Juneteenth, and she pointed out that the White House had issued a statement last year commemorating the day. Mr. Trump’s White House has put out statements on Juneteenth during each of his first three years.

“Oh really? We put out a statement? The Trump White House put out a statement?” Mr. Trump said. “Ok, ok. Good.”

• Haha
Reactions: Pohemi and Aegeon

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
As well as being the most stupid, incompetent, and criminal person to occupy the Oval Office. You get a gold star.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
"“Oh really? We put out a statement? The Trump White House put out a statement?” Mr. Trump said. “Ok, ok. Good.”

(Actual) LOL
Yes, that's our moron-in-chief all right.

:(

Reactions: ch33zw1z

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
I have no doubt there are significant number of Trump supporters who had no idea what Juneteenth was until this blew up. Although to be fair 60% still probably think its something the Democrats made up to troll Trump. Has #fakeholiday trended at all?

Reactions: zinfamous

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I have no doubt there are significant number of Trump supporters who had no idea what Juneteenth was until this blew up. Although to be fair 60% still probably think its something the Democrats made up to troll Trump. Has #fakeholiday trended at all?
Hell, I never heard of it until this came up a few weeks ago. But, was glad and surprised that it existed.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Yeah, but in all seriousness, Trump is correct in one sense. No doubt lots more people have heard of it. It just wasn't by any intentional promotion of it by Trump. Rather, it was for him shitting all over it.

Kind of like how Chauvin can take "credit" for raising American consciousness over police brutality.

Feb 4, 2009

I’ll be honest, I remember this being covered in HS History but it sort of slipped my mind and I’ve never heard Juneteenth until 5 to 8 years ago.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Hell, I never heard of it until this came up a few weeks ago. But, was glad and surprised that it existed.

Me either. My wife knew what it was, but me... not a clue. She was talking about it and I laughed at her as I thought she was fucking with me due to the name, Juneteenth.

Who in the fuck named it Juneteenth for Christ sake.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
We can add this to the many things you are ignorant of and instead of attempting to understand choose to mock.
Its the subtle things right? Again again again and again... "Me either" coulda been "Me too", but he sure as hell dont care if it exists or not, much less happy about it. Some people are just bonafide a-grade assholes. No cure.

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Me either. My wife knew what it was, but me... not a clue. She was talking about it and I laughed at her as I thought she was fucking with me due to the name, Juneteenth.

Who in the fuck named it Juneteenth for Christ sake.

I mean, I heard about it in my adult life, not prior. But I didn't respond in this way, I wiki'd it and read about it. It's a little weird your only question is why it's named that way. My first thought was how texas needed another proclamation of freed slaves 2 years after the emancipation proclamation. Imagine being a slave in texas and knowing that the south lost but they didn't GAF and you were still a slave. The mind fuck by slavers is harsh.

Hindsight is 20/20. My opinion is that the Union should've dropped the hammer harder and more widespread. Really crushed the confederates. They didn't, and the inch became the mile quickly. Racism persevered along with the embarrassment and anger of losing. 100 years later was the civil rights movement, and now the systemic racism in the CJ system is being challenged. Not soon enough, as we're still fighting these sentiments today in our country. You, unfortunately, don't seem to agree that things should change. Maybe consider what others have been pointing on to you instead of writing them off.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: iRONic

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
I mean, I heard about it in my adult life, not prior. But I didn't respond in this way, I wiki'd it and read about it. It's a little weird your only question is why it's named that way. My first thought was how texas needed another proclamation of freed slaves 2 years after the emancipation proclamation. Imagine being a slave in texas and knowing that the south lost but they didn't GAF and you were still a slave. The mind fuck by slavers is harsh.

Hindsight is 20/20. My opinion is that the Union should've dropped the hammer harder and more widespread. Really crushed the confederates. They didn't, and the inch became the mile quickly. Racism persevered along with the embarrassment and anger of losing. 100 years later was the civil rights movement, and now the systemic racism in the CJ system is being challenged. Not soon enough, as we're still fighting these sentiments today in our country. You, unfortunately, don't seem to agree that things should change. Maybe consider what others have been pointing on to you instead of writing them off.

All of this.

I just learned of this day from this thread. Just finished reading the hole Wikipedia article. I can't believe I had never heard of this before.

Feb 4, 2009
Come on guys it is a funny name to identify an event and I’ll take the heat. During the time it happened black folks weren’t educated particularly well.

To clarify what I said:
I am not stating black people are stupid, I am stating the systems at that time and many systems today are stacked against black people.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
All of this.

I just learned of this day from this thread. Just finished reading the hole Wikipedia article. I can't believe I had never heard of this before.

i don't think it was covered at all in my history classes, gradeschool or high school. emancipation proclamation? certainly. juneteenth? just learned of it over the past week+, sad as that is.

Reactions: TheVrolok

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Trump threatening protesters on Juneteenth ahead of his Tulsa rally is extremely on brand.

I take it back that this election isn't 1968, it might be just that Trump is Wallace.

Feb 4, 2009
i don't think it was covered at all in my history classes, gradeschool or high school. emancipation proclamation? certainly. juneteenth? just learned of it over the past week+, sad as that is.

I don’t recall it being called Juneteenth but I do remember it being covered. The black business district with banks and mini “stock” trades and the white folk burning it down.
I do remember this being covered in High School in the late 80s

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I’m being honest here—*I* didn’t really know what Juneteenth was until I went to college. I’d never heard of it up in Canada or New England. Nobody ever seemed to celebrate it and you never saw it in any media. Then at UNC all of a sudden it was a “thing”. But after graduation I literally never heard of it again until an episode of “Atlanta” a few years ago.

I think there’s this perception amongst non-blacks that it’s another “made up” holiday like Kwanzaa. But it celebrates a real event. Based on that event, it would make sense if it became a federal holiday and was celebrated by all Americans—not just black Americans. But, maybe blacks like it being their “thing” and opening it up to everyone would water it down? I dunno—I just don’t think they want it to be “Fourth of July lite” or something like that.

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
Trump threatening protesters on Juneteenth ahead of his Tulsa rally is extremely on brand.

I take it back that this election isn't 1968, it might be just that Trump is Wallace.

Yeah but by Trump's age Wallace had done a complete 180 on his racist views and had spent years asking for forgiveness. Trump will stay Trump to his grave.

In the late 1970s, Wallace announced that he was a born-again Christian and apologized to black civil rights leaders for his past actions as a segregationist. He said that while he had once sought power and glory, he realized he needed to seek love and forgiveness.[note 2] In 1979, Wallace said of his stand in the schoolhouse door: "I was wrong. Those days are over, and they ought to be over."[70] He publicly asked for forgiveness from black people.

Reactions: K1052

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Trump - "Like most people, I didn't know about the significance of that date. If it were not for me being ignorant on the significance of that date, people who did know about it wouldn't have brought up the the appropriateness of scheduling a Trump circle jerk. Therefore, I am responsible for making the significance of this date more widely known."

Summary - Trump's perpetual ignorance helps inform the general public

tenor.gif

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002