Trump campaign officials, led by Rudy Giuliani, oversaw fake electors plot in 7 states

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
I think it comes down to optics, basically. Charge Trump with "old stuff" or doing too quickly (right after Biden assumes office), and even though it's entirely legitimate, people will cry foul (especially Republicans course).

So it would appear to delegitimize the current administration. And I can't stress the appearance part enough, because that's what people will actually buy into, as opposed to Trump being a criminal POS. If they truly believed that, I doubt so many would have voted for him a second time.

So "Justice" is some kind of reality-tv? I mean, who has the clearance to delay justice cause it may "appear" a certain way... And isnt that kind of thinking what leads to public mistrust in the first place.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'm not saying we don't have a hell of a lot to worry about, I'm saying it's not over yet. I'm all for using actual events to predict later outcomes, but using speculation to support more speculation isn't helpful, especially when it comes from those who seem to have a pathological need to insist the sky is falling. Game ain't over yet, let's see what the trove of WH records SCOTUS allowed for 1/6 Commission does - so far it looks really bad for Il Douche, and his enablers and dipshit kids.

We're dealing with an entrenched group of criminals who are using the mechanisms of government to prevent and hinder any and all accountability, and been doing so for awhile. This isn't something that was going to be dealt with in a number of months, not with our slow, plodding lawsuit and appeal happy process. The fact is it's difficult and time consuming to bring republicans to justice in a system they are complicit in running and corrupting. Keep in mind this country has never before been given the choice to elect a twice impeached authoritarian crook who planned a series of coups plus an insurrection. Whether that outweighs the grip of the cult and the corruption of red state elections, we'll see.

Last edited:

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Keep in mind this country has never before been given the choice to elect a twice impeached authoritarian crook who planned a series of coups plus an insurrection. Whether that outweighs the grip of the cult and the corruption of red state elections, we'll see.

He's more popular than the current president (yes, I know, polls).

A significant portion of the population simply doesn't care about the democratic process anymore. As long as their team wins. What's been let out of the bottle can no longer be put back. It appears that it is our country's turn to experience a period of authoritarianism, like so many other empires before it.

"The fault is not in our stars, but in ourselves."

Reactions: TheVrolok

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

Horseshit.

A significant portion of the population simply doesn't care about the democratic process anymore.

A significant portion of republican voters, so about 30% of the population. A far greater number of Americans do care about the democratic process. Don't let effective right wing propaganda rob you of your sense of scale.

Last edited:

feralkid

Lifer
Jan 28, 2002

A significant portion of the population simply doesn't care about the democratic process anymore. As long as their team wins. What's been let out of the bottle can no longer be put back. It appears that it is our country's turn to experience a period of authoritarianism, like so many other empires before it.

Keep surrendering; it's a good look.

Hopelessness is the new fashion.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

Thats 100% not true… If you can deprogram a paradigm of fucking literal Nazis, across Europe, after WW2, you can sure as hell deprogram the trumptards.
PULL THE FUCKING PLUG ON FOX.
Rupert has got to go. Enemy of the people nr.1

allisolm

Elite Member
Administrator
Jan 2, 2001

"Boris Epshteyn, an adviser for former President Donald Trump's 2020 presidential campaign, acknowledged Friday that he was part of the effort to prop up so-called "alternate electors" to support Trump in key states."

Epshteyn is a lawyer who was supoened last week and who insisted that the electors were "alternate" and not "fraudulent electors."

We'll see.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Epshteyn is a lawyer who was supoened last week and who insisted that the electors were "alternate" and not "fraudulent electors."
Well I think he's safe. Drafting this isn't illegal. But could be enough for him to lose his license. It's the idiots that filed this that will face consequences.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

"Boris Epshteyn, an adviser for former President Donald Trump's 2020 presidential campaign, acknowledged Friday that he was part of the effort to prop up so-called "alternate electors" to support Trump in key states."

We'll see.
He seems to think he's on solid ground.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Well I mean what’s he supposed to say? ‘Oh man did I commit some crimes!’

He and everyone involved needs to spend a couple years in prison to remind him that election fraud is frowned upon.
It's going to be a very interesting trial if it gets to that point.

gothuevos

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2010
Thats 100% not true… If you can deprogram a paradigm of fucking literal Nazis, across Europe, after WW2, you can sure as hell deprogram the trumptards.

They were deprogrammed after a world war that killed countless.

Mar 11, 2004

Er, by deprogram you know that involved literally killing millions of Nazis, obliterating most of the country, marching the average German citizens through concentration camps to see the results of their industrialized murder machine, and then them having to face down the Red Army raping and pillaging and then ending up in a police state for 4 decades after, right? So simple!

Were it not for the circumstances that led to their defeat, its entirely possible that the Nazis wouldn't have been so "easily" deprogrammed.

Couple that with the Civil War, and I hope you realize what it would take to deprogram these psychopaths. Either letting them satiate their bloodlust and giving them all the power, or beating that bloodlust out of them and curb stomping them while they're down. The USA actually did beat the bloodlust out of them in the Civil War but then we didn't curb stomp the Confederacy post Civil War, and we've been dealing with the ramifications of that ever since, with it boiling over every few decades because we won't deal with it in any meaningful enough way, letting it continue to fester.

Reactions: ivwshane
Feb 4, 2009
That is not accurate. It was intended to increase the representation of small states, but was not designed to make sure they had somewhat near equal representation.

The primary purpose of the electoral college was to merge the 3/5ths compromise into the pres

CA, NY, TX, FL and other more populous states MUST NOT have a larger say than smaller states. That isn't how it works. Also remember that when the EC
came about, such vastly larger populations did not exist.

But why are we again having this conversation for the 89 millionth time with no one learning anything?
As DHT said, I would love to hear an explanation as to why you think the voices of 500,000 people should have as much say as 40,000,000. What governance purpose does this serve and why is America better off for doing it that way instead of just counting everyone equally?
[/QUOTE]

actually I am more of a believer that the originators of the constitution were afraid what people would vote for, as in:
What if Jesus was the winner
What if multiple Matthew Johnson’s won, which Matthew is the winner?
What if the King of England won?
They needed assigned responsible people to decide whom the voters were voting for.

To my understanding until the 1900s there literally could be 100 Presidential candidates to vote for. Every candidate was not necessarily on every ballot.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
It's not just that Midwesterners have that view of themselves, large chunks of people throughout this country believe that. It's the whole "country folk/farmers/ranchers are the REAL Americans" schtick and the rest of us are somehow lesser.

Oh I'm from MA and I know what a bubbler is, so it can't be that midwestern of a saying. I guess the only thing is you spell it different. Around here it's BUBBLAH!
You can’t really blame them.
blazing-saddles.gif

Nov 17, 2019
actually I am more of a believer that the originators of the constitution were afraid what people would vote for, as in:
What if Jesus was the winner
What if multiple Matthew Johnson’s won, which Matthew is the winner?
What if the King of England won?
They needed assigned responsible people to decide whom the voters were voting for.

To my understanding until the 1900s there literally could be 100 Presidential candidates to vote for. Every candidate was not necessarily on every ballot.
I still say it was never intended to be a popularity contest. He/She with the most votes may or may not be suitable and capable. That's where the EC was supposed to come in and why it was set up for the STATES to vote for the President, not the people.

And I maintain that if the EC worked as intended, Donny would not have been installed in '16.

Feb 4, 2009
I still say it was never intended to be a popularity contest. He/She with the most votes may or may not be suitable and capable. That's where the EC was supposed to come in and why it was set up for the STATES to vote for the President, not the people.

And I maintain that if the EC worked as intended, Donny would not have been installed in '16.

exactly