Trump appointed federal district judge confirms wedding photographers can discriminate against gay couples using religion

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Despite a city (Louisville, KY) ordinance banning businesses from discriminating against gay customers. Biden is right, MAGA Republicans are taking this country back to a time where certain people in our society did not have rights. Don't want to take pictures of a gay wedding, get another profession. Don't believe in contraceptives, don't work in a pharmacy.

If I was a photographer and was sent on assignment to cover a white supremacist rally I would go as much as I detest those people. It's a job. We know religion has been used as a shield to justify discrimination against all kinds of people. I hope citizens go online (FB, Yelp) etc and make the public aware.

Judge rules for photographer challenging gay rights law (msn.com)

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
Despite a city (Louisville, KY) ordinance banning businesses from discriminating against gay customers. Biden is right, MAGA Republicans are taking this country back to a time where certain people in our society did not have rights. Don't want to take pictures of a gay wedding, get another profession. Don't believe in contraceptives, don't work in a pharmacy.

If I was a photographer and was sent on assignment to cover a white supremacist rally I would go as much as I detest those people. It's a job. We know religion has been used as a shield to justify discrimination against all kinds of people. I hope citizens go online (FB, Yelp) etc and make the public aware.

Except "racist asshole" isn't a protected class.

Reactions: Leeea

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I don't know about this particular case (haven't really thought about it), but I don't think wedding photographers are in quite the same category as pharmacists.

The latter are heavily-regulated, provide a vital public-service, and are not an easy profession to get into as a new entrant. Being a photographer is less regulated, nothing like as essential, and it's much easier for anybody to do the job, so I wouldn't say it's quite the same situation.

Don't know if I were gay and getting married that I'd even _want_ a photographer there who 'disapproved' of the whole thing. Would rather get someone who I knew wasn't a bigot, even if they weren't so expert at photography.

Reactions: Leeea

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I don't know about this particular case (haven't really thought about it), but I don't think wedding photographers are in quite the same category as pharmacists.

The latter are heavily-regulated, provide a vital public-service, and are not an easy profession to get into as a new entrant. Being a photographer is less regulated, nothing like as essential, and it's much easier for anybody to do the job, so I wouldn't say it's quite the same situation.

Don't know if I were gay and getting married that I'd even _want_ a photographer there who 'disapproved' of the whole thing. Would rather get someone who I knew wasn't a bigot, even if they weren't so expert at photography.

All that may be true but what this ruling does do is reinforce that discrimination is ok. We might as well start having separate but equal laws for “regular” people and gay people.

These extremist judges are really tiresome.

Reactions: Fenixgoon

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Whether you want that photographer or not this sort of refusal to provide service is how a lot of Jim Crow era segregationist policies were enforced. This undercuts one of the main ideas of the civil rights movement in the US.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

The difference here is you have to claim you refuse to provide service to people based on their race because God tells you not to. So long as you claim it's in the name of religion no laws apply to you.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Whether you want that photographer or not this sort of refusal to provide service is how a lot of Jim Crow era segregationist policies were enforced. This undercuts one of the main ideas of the civil rights movement in the US.

Yeah, not denying there's probably a wider legal principle involved. Certainly not saying the Trumpist ruling is 'right', legally.

Merely that I can't see it in the same league as the pharmacist example (cases of pharmacists picking-and-choosing what legal medication they will sell people have happened here, and I think its entirely unacceptable, for something that is an essential public service - much as with the town hall registrar who refused to register gay marriages - if you don't want to do the job, find another job).