Trump and Pruitt are going to make asbestos great again!

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
What the actual fuck?

What really has me concerned is this mob-related attack on the smoking industry. How in the world could cigarettes be causing lung cancer? Trump and team better get on that one too.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
What the actual fuck?

What really has me concerned is this mob-related attack on the smoking industry. How in the world could cigarettes be causing lung cancer? Trump and team better get on that one too.

Radon in basements is a myth as well.

Nov 30, 2006
The article gives more context regarding the subject. Sorry your projection disturbs you to the point of making such a post.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The article gives more context regarding the subject. Sorry your projection disturbs you in some way.

His article already mentioned they were only ignoring already installed asbestos.

I assume we can all agree that’s an insanely bad idea?

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I thought the article I cited was a little more descriptive and balanced. I personally don't have an opinion formed on this SNUR right now.

Some things shouldn't be balanced. No one writes articles on the pros and cons of burying nuclear waste in playgrounds.

Reactions: Thebobo

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Here's what they are talking about:
https://www.epa.gov/assessing-and-m...isk-evaluations-existing-chemicals-under-tsca

So I'm having a bit of trouble understanding the practical implications here. I think an analysis of the risk of existing asbestos materials in the environment would be expensive and lead to quantification of a large environmental concern. Obviously the aim here is to avoid that. They can't avoid evaluating asbestos overall, because it is one of the first 10 chemicals already identified for risk evaluation under the TSCA. So we really can't give them any kind of credit for doing the risk evaluation on new products. This is a major dodge.

What I am struggling with are the implications of these safety reviews as required under the amendment to TSCA passed in 2016. The EPA website states: "Those conditions of use determined to present an unreasonable risk to health or the environment will move immediately into risk management." I would think existing asbestos would undoubtedly move to that phase, so the EPA would be required under the law to do something about it. What would happen? I don't know.

I can see how companies who used to make asbestos products would be seriously scared of this happening. Even the assessment going to the public with no EPA action. I think that would spur a bunch of lawsuits.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Context from article huh?
The EPA announced last Friday that it would evaluate and require approval for new uses of asbestos but would not evaluate the health risks of asbestos already in the environment. “The end result will be a seriously inadequate risk evaluation that fails to address major contributors to the heavy and growing toll of asbestos mortality and disease in the United States

Maybe concerned citizens can start shipping boxes of asbestos to Pruitt's office

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
This is a man who is anti-vax, denies climate change, and now claims the incontrovertible link between mesothelioma and asbestos is a mob conspiracy?

FFS... Just when you think he can't be any stupider.

“I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal. Great pressure was put on politicians, and as usual, the politicians relented,”

And DFS is here defending him.

Yo, DFS, when are you finally going to be anti-Trump?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is a man who is anti-vax, denies climate change, and now claims the incontrovertible link between mesothelioma and asbestos is a mob conspiracy?

“I believe that the movement against asbestos was led by the mob, because it was often mob-related companies that would do the asbestos removal. Great pressure was put on politicians, and as usual, the politicians relented,”

'Who, me?' incoming!

Reactions: dank69
Nov 30, 2006

Where have I defended Trump on this issue? You're hallucinating again...time to take your meds.