"Trump Administration may try to grab power in a coup" vs. "Trump Administration is incompetent"

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
I read the first one like "Holy Shit"
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.rr0um7go7

And then the second one made me feel a little better
https://tompepinsky.com/2017/01/30/weak-and-incompetent-leaders-act-like-strong-leaders/

I think there could be some truth to both of these. Either way, I think the only path to an impeachment is erosion of Trump's support among Republicans. Until then the house and the senate will be too chickenshit to do anything.

And I don't see that support eroding. We saw in September and October that it is immune to evidence and decency.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
It's only the 2nd week.

Give it time. If and when Trump's approval rating goes in the toilet, the economy tanks and ObamaCare repeal becomes a fiasco Republicans are going to jump ship.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
It's only the 2nd week.

Give it time. If and when Trump's approval rating goes in the toilet, the economy tanks and ObamaCare repeal becomes a fiasco Republicans are going to jump ship.
It's only the 2nd week.

You think that a man whose political career is built on scapegoating is going to take the fall if things go wrong? I guess we'll see. Also, there's no guarantee that they will go wrong. It's quite possible to have a strong economy under a fascist or authoritarian government. Look at China.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm really wanting to believe it's incompetence.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I'm really wanting to believe it's incompetence.

Me too. OTOH, it has the makings of a great conspiracy theory. Creating sufficient chaos could be a way to justify martial law. It wouldn't be the first time in the history of the world. Just remember what he said-

I am your voice. I alone can fix it. I will restore law and order.

Jan 25, 2011
There's an argument for both. They are doing everything they can to attack any and all checks and balances that might exist. There aren't many in the executive. The press is the main one and we all see what is happening there. Attacking hundreds of career state dept. officials for using a channel open to them to express concerns. They are waddling away at any avenue of dissent and threatening all who might use them.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
You think that a man whose political career is built on scapegoating is going to take the fall if things go wrong? I guess we'll see. Also, there's no guarantee that they will go wrong. It's quite possible to have a strong economy under a fascist or authoritarian government. Look at China.

He won't voluntarily take the fall, but if he damages the Republicans enough, he won't have a choice. And they don't necessarily have to go through the formal act of impeachment: the leadership just has to make it clear that they have majority support for impeachment and that Trump can either resign with some shred of dignity or be forced out.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
People with vivid imaginations writing things again. The left is at least as crazy over Trump's election, as some of the right was through Obama's presidency. There are extremists on both sides of the aisle and this stuff is a reflection of that. Stock up on the TIN FOIL NOW!!!

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
It's only the 2nd week.

I don't think that will happen. I hear of Trump supporters rationalizing things like how he never in fact mocked the disabled, that it was all just a big liberal mainstream media conspiracy meant to soil his good name. No amount of reality will wake up these clowns. The country could be burning in flames and they could ignore it if Trump told them it was not so.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I don't think that will happen. I hear of Trump supporters rationalizing things like how he never in fact mocked the disabled, that it was all just a big liberal mainstream media conspiracy meant to soil his good name. No amount of reality will wake up these clowns. The country could be burning in flames and they could ignore it if Trump told them it was not so.

Trump plays it the other way. He claims the country is going up in flames when it's not. Well, not unless he can make it that way.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
He won't voluntarily take the fall, but if he damages the Republicans enough, he won't have a choice. And they don't necessarily have to go through the formal act of impeachment: the leadership just has to make it clear that they have majority support for impeachment and that Trump can either resign with some shred of dignity or be forced out.

I could see him making an example of a few Republicans in the 2018 primaries. Think about it, someone says something he doesn't like, doesn't fall in line, and a few Twitter bombs later his supporters are supporting the challenger. I think Trump's Republican support in the House and Senate will prove resilient.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
I read the first one like "Holy Shit"
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.rr0um7go7

And then the second one made me feel a little better
https://tompepinsky.com/2017/01/30/weak-and-incompetent-leaders-act-like-strong-leaders/

I think there could be some truth to both of these. Either way, I think the only path to an impeachment is erosion of Trump's support among Republicans. Until then the house and the senate will be too chickenshit to do anything.

And I don't see that support eroding. We saw in September and October that it is immune to evidence and decency.

I saw a twitter post on that article earlier today, let me see if I can find it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I could see him making an example of a few Republicans in the 2018 primaries. Think about it, someone says something he doesn't like, doesn't fall in line, and a few Twitter bombs later his supporters are supporting the challenger. I think Trump's Republican support in the House and Senate will prove resilient.

Trump & the Teahadis have 'em right by the balls.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013
Here it is. However the major problem with this reasoning is that it is probably only addressing military coups, hes forgetting that there have been just as many political coups throughout history. We are in grave danger of Trump trying to turn America into an authoritarian police state. Im not commenting on the article because I only read the first few paragraphs, and Im not going to bother with the rest of it right now, I wouldnt be surprised if it is terrible and crazy.

https://twitter.com/Aelkus/status/826203478812925952