Trump’s Expected Pick for Top USDA Scientist Is Not a Scientist

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
But Sam Clovis is a huge trump supporter and get this - a conservative talk radio host. Thats his current profession. LOL seriously the department's head scientist.

https://www.propublica.org/article/...ial&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1494630729

The other idiot is Sam
Sam-Clovis-Donald-Trump.png

Reactions: KMFJD

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Relax. He's from Iowa. Farming is like..in his DNA. Just like Ben Carson saw a HUD house once in his life, he was qualified. Clovis grew up with a corn field in his back yard. So clearly that has prepared him for this position.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
At this point he's just looking for the most unqualified candidate just to piss of sane people i believe, i can't think of any other reason (other than greed of course)

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
So what is the conservative butt hurt with the USDA science staff that this pick was warranted? Serious question.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
One of two things is possible:
Trump is intentionally trying to screw the country
Trump drinks the literal Kool-Aid of right wing media conspiracy hacks such that the only marker of credibility is an anger over being invalidated by liberalism

I think the latter option, but I don't know which is more terrifying. Ironically, Trump's positions on things that predate alt-right conspiracy coverage are rather moderate or liberal.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
One of two things is possible:
Trump is intentionally trying to screw the country
Trump drinks the literal Kool-Aid of right wing media conspiracy hacks such that the only marker of credibility is an anger over being invalidated by liberalism

I think the latter option, but I don't know which is more terrifying. Ironically, Trump's positions on things that predate alt-right conspiracy coverage are rather moderate or liberal.

Option 3: Trump doesn't give a shit about the government and views positions in it primarily as patronage opportunities. They are vehicles to reward supporters and consolidate his power, not to perform the actual functions of government that they were created for. To me this is by far the most likely thing, and the most toxic.

Reactions: Vic and Meghan54

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Option 3: Trump doesn't give a shit about the government and views positions in it primarily as patronage opportunities. They are vehicles to reward supporters and consolidate his power, not to perform the actual functions of government that they were created for. To me this is by far the most likely thing, and the most toxic.

That's a good point, and hearing it, I see the answer as a blend between 2 & 3.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Option 4; Trump really believes that he's the smartest man in any room and therefore has issues with anyone smarter than him.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think this is my go-to reaction GIF for every stupid Trump announcement in future:

giphy.gif

A close runner-up choice would have been that moment in 'Lilo & Stitch' when the head honcho alien says sarcastically, "of course!" when the space ship crash-lands on a tiny speck of land in the middle of a huge ocean, but the Internet doesn't seem to be forthcoming with that one.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Oh sure, why not, that guy definitely looks like he'll make a change to the obesity rates in our country. It make be the wrong direction, but whatever, fuck you america.