Truform in SS

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

<< bwuahahah
also why is he aiming at that guys crotch?
>>

Trust me, you don't want to hear the explanation... ;):Q

Chubbz

Golden Member
Oct 2, 2001
GAWD!!!! its so hard to choose what video card to get now!!!!!

I have $250 i can spend, I was planning on getting the GeForce3 Ti200, but the Radeon8500 has all these AWESOME FEATURES!!!! TRUFORM BLOWS MY MIND! if only ATI gets their act together and makes take-your-pants-off quality drivers, id go ATI anyday

-Chubbz!

oldfart

Lifer
Dec 2, 1999
From Croteam:

<< Serious Sunday development diary October 07, 2001

A word about ATI Truform

This might get a little technical, so beware ... :)

As you may already know, the patch 1.04 supports ATI Truform technology. First of all, I'd like to say that Truform is a great piece of work. Thanx ATI! And it's *very* easy to implement it in the engine. Took me about an hour (and extra three to find a "bug" that didn't exist in first place:). Never mind ...

Anyway, there are some things that I should clarify. First, this patch (1.04) has emulation-only Truform support (software). This is due the fact that ATI exposed Truform OpenGL extension to be 'experimental' for 7x00 boards. Real, hardware extension is provided for Radeon 8500, but support for this one didn't make it into current patch. :( The bright side is that it'll be in the next one (which will probably be out in time for 8500 release). So, there... :)

Second thing is that even Truform is easy to implement from the coding point of view, Serious Sam (and not only SSam) needs a re-work of several models. Especially weapons! Simply put, normals for weapon models aren't fine-tuned for Truform, and that can have hilarious consequences. :)

And last, since SSam wasn't designed with Truform in mind (well, that's obvious), in several cases you wouldn't see much of an improvement in model quality. It's just because we already optimally tuned polygon count on models.

However, Truform is here to stay and I hope that other 3D chipset manufactures will support this technology in the near future.

Dean Sekulic
>>