True Spirit HSF

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
I just ordered the GoGage True Spirit Heatsink/Fan for my rig. Is anyone using this on an Asus P6T (non deluxe) board? Anything I need to be concerned with to make it fit? Also got the thru-bolt setup to install in the board, and some Arctic Silver.

I'm running at 3.4GHz with the 920 on a stock HSF. But when I push it, the temp goes into the mid '80s and I wanna cool it down. I read the revues and it seems this heat sink is a good bargain for the money.

Ordered from Frozen CPU dot com - 69 bones got me all three of the above items, shipped to my door. Can't wait to get 'em!

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
You might get more feedback in the cases & cooling section. That being said, I've never heard of the True Spirit, but it looks like a rebranded Ultra 120 that actually ships with a fan (shock and horror). Looks like CoGage is a Thermalright brand so, surprise surprise. The one review for the product on frozencpu.com complains about a base that is not flat, either . . . so yeah, it looks like a rebranded Ultra 120.

It should be a good HSF, especially if you take the time to lap the base and flatten it out.

FYI, it's pretty awesome how many different TIMs you can get from frozencpu.com now. If I were you, I would have gotten the IC Diamond 7 but AS5 won't kill you in your sleep or anything. Good call on the bolt-thru kit though.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I run a cogage True Spirit on my D0 920 @ 4.03 Ghz 24/7 stable. (I have a pretty good low voltage chip though to be honest)

One core kisses 74c on a linx 20 max memory run, one core never gets higher than 73c and the other 2 stay at 70c or lower. Prime95 stable for 38+ hours. I stuck with the push pin and the bundled TIM that came with it.

I have the evga 758 though, not the asus. My vreg ran a bit hot (typical for the 758 as it is designed to work with the stock intel cooler) so I bought some noctua TIM thinking I could reseat the vreg HS. When i took it off I found that it used a thermal pad, (which I was expecting) but that the HS has spacers built into it that do not allow it to come into full contact with the VREGs. So I replaced the original pad and just hung a 40mm fan on it to cool it a bit more. Anyway, I told you that to tell you this:

I replaced the cogage TIM with the Noctua TIM while I was in there and only saw *maybe* a 2c difference, so the included TIM isn't too bad. Good luck, definitlely a good bang for the buck cooler.

EDIT: I can boot to win 7 @ 4.0 +turbo or 4.2 -turbo but cannot get it linx stable without pushing the voltage to the point that my temps make me uncomfortable.

Last edited:

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Thanks guys! Just got shipping confirmation already. Man, these online retailers kick butt when it comes to shipping. Looking forward to installing it. This PC already runs great but if I can speed it up a bit more and not have to worry about heat during the summer, I'll be very happy.

May also do a video card someday soon but that's a topic for different discussion board. This card is a leftover from my ~last~ build, the overclocked Q6600. So it's afew years old.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
just an older version of TRUE, for 69 I'd personally get a Prolimatek Megala... that one is the current top cooler from many reviews.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
just an older version of TRUE, for 69 I'd personally get a Prolimatek Megala... that one is the current top cooler from many reviews.

Its actually a *newer* budget version of the TRUE.

The cogage is $39.95 + $9.95(!) for the bolt thru but it comes with 1 fan. The megahalems is $64.99 w/o a fan. Cheapest fan at frozencpu is $14.99(!) so ~$30 more. I agree if you really want to get every last bit out of your cpu the mega is the way to go but for a mild overclock the cogage is more bang for the buck.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002

The cogage is $39.95 + $9.95(!) for the bolt thru but it comes with 1 fan. The megahalems is $64.99 w/o a fan. Cheapest fan at frozencpu is $14.99(!) so ~$30 more. I agree if you really want to get every last bit out of your cpu the mega is the way to go but for a mild overclock the cogage is more bang for the buck.

svc.com $61.99 + $6 up for the fans. Shipping is reasonable, and the more you get, the less per item is the shipping. So I usually get a bunch of stuff, even if I don't need it.

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

true the megahalems (lol could never remember the name, just call it TRUE killer) don't come with fans so you needs to add that cost on, but still when we are talking 60s I'm thinking top of the line stuff. anyhow, for best bang for buck I think the CM hyper 212+ is it. for mere 30 you get excellent performance and ability to hang a 2nd fan on it, although I know some don't like DHTs but for mild OC DHT design is very efficient.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
BTW, that same GoGage True Spirit is $35 + shipping at svc.com. Much better price than frozencpu....

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
true the megahalems (lol could never remember the name, just call it TRUE killer) don't come with fans so you needs to add that cost on, but still when we are talking 60s I'm thinking top of the line stuff. anyhow, for best bang for buck I think the CM hyper 212+ is it. for mere 30 you get excellent performance and ability to hang a 2nd fan on it, although I know some don't like DHTs but for mild OC DHT design is very efficient.

You can mount a 2nd fan on the cogage as well, for the push/pull effect. I wish the place I ordered mine from had the option for a 2nd pair of fan clips like frozen does. ($1.99)

BTW, that same GoGage True Spirit is $35 + shipping at svc.com. Much better price than frozencpu....

Yes, frozencpu usually has higher prices, and they flat out gouge for most of their extras.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
You can mount a 2nd fan on the cogage as well, for the push/pull effect. I wish the place I ordered mine from had the option for a 2nd pair of fan clips like frozen does. ($1.99)

Yes, frozencpu usually has higher prices, and they flat out gouge for most of their extras.

yea but they shipped the same day!

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
Its actually a *newer* budget version of the TRUE. I agree if you really want to get every last bit out of your cpu the mega is the way to go but for a mild overclock the cogage is more bang for the buck.

And that's all I expect to need. I'm already running the D0 920 at 3.2GHz and it's very stable. But when I work it hard, temps go up. With normal use/browsing/editing/email etc the temp is 55*C but it goes up to 80 when it's pushed.

I figure that even if I don't clock it any faster, at least it will remain cool for my minimal investment in a better HSF.

SanDiegoPC

Jul 14, 2006
svc.com ships the same day also.. I am telling you for HSF's, fans, cables and PSU, they are hard to beat.

Great to know - thanks. I'm in So Calif so there's millions of retailers here wanting my dollars. But this time of year, my keyboard and monitor get lots of travel!

MJinZ

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2009
The CoGage has the added benefit of not taking up a Memory Slot if I recall.

But H50s are cheap enough these days that they might be a good alternative...

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
The CoGage has the added benefit of not taking up a Memory Slot if I recall.

But H50s are cheap enough these days that they might be a good alternative...

I think that's only if you use i7 1366s and certain i7 1366s it's no problem for the bigger HSF like ProMeg have to check. but I don't think CoGage can give a decent temperature pass 3,6 for a i7. but at 60 it's a bit steep for what it can do.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I think that's only if you use i7 1366s and certain i7 1366s it's no problem for the bigger HSF like ProMeg have to check. but I don't think CoGage can give a decent temperature pass 3,6 for a i7. but at 60 it's a bit steep for what it can do.

It isn't $60, it is $35, and it keeps my 920 at 4.0 cool without a problem.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
yea but they shipped the same day!
just cause they ship the same day doesnt mean their service is good. they always ship the same day for me........from new york. i live in california. if i place my order on sunday it wont get here until saturday lmao

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
It isn't $60, it is $35, and it keeps my 920 at 4.0 cool without a problem.

if you can get it for 35 with fan and all then I have to say it's a real bargain for its performance. although at this price range you also have some competition from Mugen 2 another decent cooler for about that price including a nice scythe fan as well in the package.