True or False

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
My economics teacher quizzed us using the following question. Each question was 50 points, I got 3 out of 5 correct. (For the ppl who knows the answers, do not spoil it by hinting your answers are the correct ones).

1) the best things in life are free.

2) anything worth doing is worth doing well.

3) life is priceless.

4) the greatest cost of college is tuition and board.

5) economy benefits some at the expense of others.

Haircut

Platinum Member
Apr 23, 2000
well I dunno about the others, but for me the greatest cost of college is beer :D

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
1. true (these forums are an example :p )
2. false (I changed this after thinking about it a bit. forced things usually arent worth doing, so therefore i usually dont put full effort into it. however there are been many occasions where I completley did not want to do something yet it turned out to be a good experience)
3. false (you can buy life)
4. false (the greatest cost is what you COULD be doing instead of voluntary college. The greatest GAIN is the experience of going to college)
5. true (sure. unless every market was a monopoly, some buisnesses have to fail)

(edit: added my stupid opionions :p )

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000
1) T
2) T
3) F *
4) T
5) T

* A philosopher (who shall remain nameless) one said that 'a society's inability to put a monetary value on human life often means that human life goes undervalued' or something like that.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
1) false - nothing is free
2) false - some things you do because you have to
3) true - a life lost can never be recreated
4) I have no idea, I never went to college
5) false - if a trade is made freely by two parties both benefit, neither loses

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000

<< 3) true - a life lost can never be recreated >>

False - but life can be bought.

Acctually i should add my rationale to my post too... and EmperorNero when will you post the &quot;correct&quot; answers?

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
A monetary value is placed on life every single day in every single hospital and courtroom in this country.

And based on my experiences overseas, I can state for the record that there is NOTHING cheaper than human life.

End of rant.

EmperorNero

Golden Member
Jun 2, 2000
Yup, the answers are all false, in the eyes of an economist.

1) the best things in life are not free...love for example (aww...), it costs time.

2) you don't necessarily have to do it well, just as long as you're better than the competitors.

3) life is not priceless (my reason) because you can prevent life for about $0.50 for a condom or (teacher's reason) it costs money to support life, such as food, clothings, etc.

4) this was a hard one and I'm not even sure if I can word it right. well, when you're in college, you're actually getting a lot of education (at least for some) which in turn will get you, usually, a better paying job.

5) bober hit the mark: &quot;if a trade is made freely by two parties both benefit, neither loses&quot; since both sides think they are getting a good deal - they participate in a volunatary exchange. for example, I bought my gf an extravagent gift for her birthday, which I knew I would get &quot;lucky&quot; that night ;)

SKiller

Oct 10, 1999
All the answers are subjective, they depend on how you define certain words/concepts and vary from person to person. None can be proven 100% true, and logically, anything that's not 100% true is false. :)