Question Trouble with Ryzen 5 1600 and GTX 1060 6gb custom built rig.

Abridgment

Apr 21, 2019
Ok so I get massive stuttering and lag spiked while using this computer to play Fortnite, and the FPS dips down to 20 at multiple occasions. I have also noticed really bad screen tearing on my G-sync monitor on Overwatch and Fortnite. Minecraft after stutters quite a lot, and it will stay at around 10-30 fps for a certain amount of time. I tried turning off my AOC monitor (not G-sync) and it didn't help. I also noticed that while running Fortnite, my CPU will stay at a constant 3.2 GHz and will never turbo up to 3.6 GHz. I also tried to download the Ryzen master software but every time I did, there was some kind of driver error. My GPU has only been in one other computer I built, but I am not sure if that is the issue. My temperature for my CPU while gaming was only 56.3 degrees celsius and it seems like that is the temperature when the PC is also idle.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Not sure on the games as to what is normal, but 3.2 I think is the all-core Turbo speed, 3.6 is probably the single-core turbo.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, all-core Turbo for a R5 1600 CPU is 3.4Ghz.

Don't know about the "stuttering". What kind of RAM, what speed RAM, and what kind of storage device for OS and games?

There has been a few threads about Win10 updates causing stuttering and lag in gaming.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have also noticed really bad screen tearing on my G-sync monitor
I tried turning off my AOC monitor (not G-sync) and it didn't help.
So, you are running a multi-monitor setup on the GTX 1060 6GB card? How are they connected, and do they have different refresh rates? I don't know how well it works in Windows to have one G-Sync and one non-G-Sync monitor connected.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What is your CPU usage %, and what is your GPU usage %, when playing Fortnite? Just because the CPU isn't turboing past base clock, doesn't mean that it's not getting used. Maybe Fortnite doesn't make effective use of more than 4 cores, or maybe your GPU is bottlenecking (maybe thermal throttling), and thus the CPU doesn't get utilized as much as it could be.

Edit: And what are your CPU and GPU temps while playing? HWmonitor can monitor while playing, then alt-TAB out to check.

Last edited:

Abridgment

Apr 21, 2019
Not sure on the games as to what is normal, but 3.2 I think is the all-core Turbo speed, 3.6 is probably the single-core turbo.[/
What is your CPU usage %, and what is your GPU usage %, when playing Fortnite? Just because the CPU isn't turboing past base clock, doesn't mean that it's not getting used. Maybe Fortnite doesn't make effective use of more than 4 cores, or maybe your GPU is bottlenecking (maybe thermal throttling), and thus the CPU doesn't get utilized as much as it could be.

Edit: And what are your CPU and GPU temps while playing? HWmonitor can monitor while playing, then alt-TAB out to check.
I checked my CPU temperature, it was around 56.3 degrees celsius while playing. My CPU usage was around 74%, and my GPU was about the same. I still need to check the temperature of the GPU. Would setting the affinity to 4 cores help?

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
OP, the first thing you want to do is take the dual monitor problem out of the equation. The best way to do that is to physically disconnect the cable and also reboot the system before any testing. (simply powering down the monitor should have been enough, but sometimes Windwos and drivers don't play as nice as we expect them to)

Going past that you may want to ensure the GPU gets proper power, it would be a good idea to open up the case and double-check the power connector is properly pushed into the GPU (check the same on the PSU side if the PSU has modular cables.)

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
download 3D mark/passmark for GPU testing, download cinebench/geekbench and run IT for CPU testing
run a temperature monitoring tool behind

post your scores and temperatures (maximum is enough) please

thanks

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I also suspect possible GPU or PSU issues. Please provide us with full specs of the system if you can, and the resolution/settings played at.