trouble with Perion.A

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I have a computer that is infected with this and I can't get rid of it. Malwarebytes detects it and quarantines it but it keeps coming back. Spyhunter doesn't even see it. I have been through so many anti malwares that I can't count them all. How do I get rid of it?

MustISO

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Have you tried an offline scanner like the Kaspersky Rescue disc? If it's that pervasive, backup anything important and format/re-install.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
I would run Startup CPL or Autoruns and see what is starting up, trace it's origin and nuke it. Bitdefender Free has a live disk. http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/

Burn the ISO with IMGburn portable.

Couple other scanners you can use are Freefixer, Herdprotect, Super antispyware and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
Kaspersky rescue disc disc didn't detect it.
Malwarebytes detects it every time I run a scan.

PliotronX

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999
Kaspersky rescue disc disc didn't detect it.
Malwarebytes detects it every time I run a scan.
Try uninstalling any Java runtimes and running a custom scan of Malwarebytes under safe mode with the rootkits option checked. Also check non system partitions and perhaps USB drives if connected 24/7.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
It is on a standard user account and not the admin if that makes any difference.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
While you may not want to do this, you could reinstall the OS.
If that is too drastic, see what starts up @ boot time, and disable everything.
You can check with autoruns http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx (free)
Then, enable them one by one to see which one causes this malware to come back to your system.
If that don't work, then time to disable any NON MS service and enable them one by one again, to see which one is at fault.

It also is a good idea to boot with a clean copy of windows, with only malware detectors on it, then boot with that, and then point it to your OS drive for a deep scan.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I am attempting to try it but my use of the PC is very limited as it is my mom's computer and she gripes everytime I do a scan and once I left the Kaspersky live CD running all night and she Xed out everything the following morning. She is pretty ignorant when it comes to computers.

BirdDad

Golden Member
Nov 25, 2004
I booted up with Bitdefender Live, it failed to find any infection.
I guess I will have to redo my parents computer.-the wedding guest is a sad and wiser man(Rime of the Ancient Mariner).