Question trouble replacing network card in Lenovo laptop

Eliadbu

May 3, 2017
Hi so I have few years old Lenovo IdeaPad Y50-70 touch, which runs Okish for most tasks I need but I do have some annoying issues with wifi connection from time to time (like DC and signal loss). I thought why not replace the network card with some newer card that have WIFI 6 and BT5 so I bought the AX200NGW to replace the 3160NGW that is my laptop. and on boot-up it gave black screen with writing "Unauthorized Network card is plugged in. power off and remove the network card" I read about it and from my understanding for HP and Lenovo they have some shady Apple like policy to use only certain serial network adapter so I bought same card type from a seller that said it's specifically for Lenovo and I still got the error. I heard there can be some manipulation in either the bios or the card but couldn't find any good guide that would ensure I won't break my PC.
any suggestion ?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You need a modded BIOS, that either hacks the wifi card whitelist, with the PCI Device IDs of your card, or more likely, gets rid of the whitelist altogether. This will void any warranty that you had on the laptop.

Reactions: SamirD

Eliadbu

May 3, 2017
You need a modded BIOS, that either hacks the wifi card whitelist, with the PCI Device IDs of your card, or more likely, gets rid of the whitelist altogether. This will void any warranty that you had on the laptop.
I'm going to try it, I hope I won't brick my device ...
and warranty has expired long ago ...

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
I'm going to try it, I hope I won't brick my device ...
and warranty has expired long ago ...
I wouldn't risk bricking your device. Just find out the official Lenovo part number and get that model card. And return that one that didn't work to ebay or at least get your money back.

If you can't find an internal one that works and usb ones don't fit the bill, don't forget about expresscard units. They can work quite well too.

Eliadbu

May 3, 2017
thanks I got someone to mod my bios and remove this whitelist thing, I've installed the card so far it works good
let hope it will improve things.

Reactions: SamirD