Trouble installing new Gladiac BIOS. Please advise...

WarLocke

May 29, 2000
This is the first time I've ever tried installing a new BIOS, so I can't really troubleshoot the problem myself. Any help would be appreciated. When I go into DOS and attempt to run the Bios change program (flash_r.exe) I get the following error:

***error opening bios image C:\gladiac\images\g32*.p ***

Here is what was contained in the Gladiac ZIP file:
readme
flash_r.exe
run386.exe
q3210200.p
q6410200.p

Here is the Gladiac readme install notes:

***If you want to update the BIOS on your ELSA GLADIAC graphics board just call FLASH_R.EXE from MS-DOS:

FLASH_R.EXE

The program looks for supported ELSA graphics boards. If the program finds one of the supported graphics boards in your computer, it will search for the correct BIOS image in the directory IMAGES. After confirmation the program will save your old BIOS to the file C:\OLD_xxxx.bin (xxxx is a number, i.e. C:\OLD_0000.bin,C:\OLD_0001.bin, ...) and program the new image to your ELSA graphics board. *****

Please help........

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
is your card working fine right now? if so, my advice - don't flash it. if you must have that bios - use the tsr bios utility (go to
http://zoiah.spedia.net/) - allows you to use the bios w/out flashing your card. if you notice a world of difference, and you won't, continue try to flash your card, but i wouldn't.

WarLocke

May 29, 2000
Actually, my card is working flawlessly with practically no hangs. In benchmarks like 3DMark 2000, I score around 6200, so performance is good also.

My current BIOS is 0.00.03, so I thought this new BIOS would make some major improvements. Is that not always the case???

Terp

Banned
Jun 16, 2000
Anyone find out the so-called fixes the new BIOS addresses? I downloaded it, but hate to mess around with a new BIOS that I know nothing about....Anyone flashed theirs?

Yoshi

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I agree, if the card works ok in your system DO NOT FLASH THE BIOS. BIOS updates are usually only released to fix compatability problems NOT to increase performance. Performance is better enhanced by modifying the drivers.