Trouble connecting IOLO?

Teclis2323

Dec 27, 2002
I searched google and anandtech's forums before posting this...

I came back to my parents' house to 'fix' their computers (usually just retweeking a few settings).

They were having a hard time conneting to the internet, and through a trial-and-error approach, I diagnosed the router as the problem. With a new router came internet connectivity, which was good.

The problem is that my father wants to install Iolo System Mechanic 7 Pro. Try as we might, I cannot get it to connect to their servers for cdkey verification. Furthermore, I can't seem to get the iolo download manager to work when trying to download a diff version of SM7Pro.

Which port should I unlock to fix this? Or does anyone have any advice?

We're currently using a Belkin G+ MIMO router.

Any help is appreciated!

tyanni

Sep 11, 2001
You might try it without the router in the way. That being said, when I did a gogle search on the program all I found were people complaining about how horrible the program is.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
System Mechanic 4 was the last version of a good utility.

Pass this version it seems that that main goal of each upgrade is how to possess more and more of your computer.

The security part of SysMech is not so great, so if your dad wants it for security he is better of using other things (there are freeware that are better).

If one wants to use the Utility, install the suit without the Firewall, AV, or what ever else is Internet security related, and you would have better luck.

I all fairness the utilities per-se (without the security ?junk?) are very good.

Teclis2323

Dec 27, 2002
Even without the firewall, I cannot connect to the server...

Is this on Iolo's end, do you think?