Question Trouble accessing Synology DS218J NAS from Windows 10 (SMB traffic ends at Negotiate Protocol Response, doesn't proceed to Session Setup Request)

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Hi,

I have a Synology DS218J on SMB. I have been able to access it via Windows Explorer with \\hostname just fine, but I just tried today and it no longer works. I get the following error message when I try to access a folder within the NAS
nas_error.png
I get the following error message when I try to access the NAS hostname/IP address directly
nas_error2.png
When I try to map a new network drive, it doesn't detect anything on my network.
nas_error3.png
The Synology web portal works fine. I'm able to access it on my web browser. I'm also able to ping it just fine. I'm also able to access it on my Android device using the DS file app. However, I can't access it via Windows Explorer either via \\hostname or \\ipaddress.

I tried net use * /delete and then manually add the NAS root or the shared folders. Here are the results:
"net use X: \\hostname or IP address" - The network path was not found.

"net use X: \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - System error 1790 has occurred. The network logon failed.

If I try the above net use command again, I'll get "System error 59 has occurred. An unexpected network error occurred."

I also tried the following:
"pushd \\hostname or IP address\SharedFolder" - I get either "The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not been authenticated." or "A device attached to the system is not functioning."

I've tried rebooting both my PC and the NAS, disabling(then re-enabling) SMBv1, disabling IPv6, turning on network discovery and file and printer sharing (though this should only affect my sharing of my PC right?)

What's wrong?

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Check the Firewall.

Reboot the Router too.

Make sure that it runs IPV4 with static IP.

:cool:

P.S. When it comes to Networking trouble shooting Win 10 is basically useless, most of its diagnosis converting to words what we already know not really offers solutions.

Try these two Portable free Apps, they might provide some additional info.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I don't have the background to know why the settings I am documenting below worked for me but they have led to near total consistency in being able to connect to my Synology. I stumbled across a tutorial that documented these changes somewhere but have no recollection where.

1586101269227.png

1586101313865.png

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
After going through the Synology troubleshooting guide at https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/1/post/123419 I am now able to see the NAS in my Network in Windows Explorer. However, still unable to access it, or any of its shared folders, in Windows Explorer.

I did notice that in my NAS File Services->SMB, that the workgroup is set as WORKGROUP.
nas_setting.png
I vaguely remember that Windows 10 stopped supporting workgroups. Could this be why? If not, how do I check what workgroup my Windows 10 PC is in?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I vaguely remember that Windows 10 stopped supporting workgroups. Could this be why? If not, how do I check what workgroup my Windows 10 PC is in?
You can check by going to Control Panel > System. Unless you changed it, WORKGROUP is the default.

The easiest and IMO, the best way to access the files in your Synology is through your browser.

In your Synology, go to Control Panel > Application Portal. There on the Application tab you will find various apps installed on your Synology. Click File Station and then the Edit button. Check Enable customized alias and then accept the default which is 'files' or change it to something that works for you. Notice that there is a link. It is clickable right inside that dialog box. Once opened in your browser it can be bookmarked. It will open your entire folder structure and you can interact with them as you please.

1586212913396.png

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
You can check by going to Control Panel > System. Unless you changed it, WORKGROUP is the default.

The easiest and IMO, the best way to access the files in your Synology is through your browser.

In your Synology, go to Control Panel > Application Portal. There on the Application tab you will find various apps installed on your Synology. Click File Station and then the Edit button. Check Enable customized alias and then accept the default which is 'files' or change it to something that works for you. Notice that there is a link. It is clickable right inside that dialog box. Once opened in your browser it can be bookmarked. It will open your entire folder structure and you can interact with them as you please.

View attachment 19271
Yes, I can still access it via DSM, and this has been a workaround, but I wish to be able to access it from Windows Explorer as a mounted drive.

Anyway, I also tried using Synology Assistant to detect my drive, and it is able to. However, when I try to map a drive to a shared folder with valid credentials, I get the following error:
nas_error4.png
Occasionally, I get error 31.

If I enter bogus credentials, I get the same error. However, if I enter an invalid username, I get the error "The user account was not found on <hostname>", so I know the SMB requests are reaching the NAS, but somehow I'm not getting authenticated. Could that specific Windows 10 PC be somehow blacklisted from the NAS? Using the same credentials on my other laptop grants me access to the NAS.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
If I enter bogus credentials, I get the same error. However, if I enter an invalid username, I get the error "The user account was not found on <hostname>", so I know the SMB requests are reaching the NAS, but somehow I'm not getting authenticated. Could that specific Windows 10 PC be somehow blacklisted from the NAS? Using the same credentials on my other laptop grants me access to the NAS.
Based on what you're saying above, the problem lies with the one laptop not the Synology. But try the following just for grins.

In the Synology go to Control Panel > Security and then the Firewall tab. Turn off the Firewall as a test. I don't think doing this will make a difference but a firewall rule can be created to block access based on an IP address. I don't know what the error message is that you'd get in that case though.

You say you can't map a drive. I'm curious what happens if you double click the Synology under Network in File Explorer? Something like below. I have one encrypted folder on my Synology that does not appear but besides that every folder I have shows up below. I am an administrator so I see and have access to everything.

1586432820646.png

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Based on what you're saying above, the problem lies with the one laptop not the Synology. But try the following just for grins.

In the Synology go to Control Panel > Security and then the Firewall tab. Turn off the Firewall as a test. I don't think doing this will make a difference but a firewall rule can be created to block access based on an IP address. I don't know what the error message is that you'd get in that case though.
Firewall isn't even enabled in DSM.

You say you can't map a drive. I'm curious what happens if you double click the Synology under Network in File Explorer? Something like below. I have one encrypted folder on my Synology that does not appear but besides that every folder I have shows up below. I am an administrator so I see and have access to everything.

View attachment 19381
This is what I see in the Network in Windows Explorer
nas_network.png
The red blocks are my NAS device (both point to the same hostname). If I double click on DS218j in "Other Devices) I get directed to DSM web portal. If I click on the top red box, I get the following error:
nas_error2-2.png

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
Jumping in pretty late since I don;t stop by this sub too much and I just saw the thread title.

Good old SMB 1.0 crap...
You need to enable SMB 2.x \3.x on the NAS AND then disable SMB 1 on your windows

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Jumping in pretty late since I don;t stop by this sub too much and I just saw the thread title.

Good old SMB 1.0 crap...
You need to enable SMB 2.x \3.x on the NAS AND then disable SMB 1 on your windows
Thanks for jumping in, but this isn't an SMB 1.0 problem. It's already disabled in Windows, and SMB 2.0 is already enabled in my NAS.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OK, so I've compared captured Wireshark traffic (.128 is my NAS) between a working laptop, and my non-working PC, when I try to access my NAS in Windows Explorer at "\\hostname". Below are screenshots of the capture:

Non-working PC

nas_ng_pcap.png

Working laptop

nas_gfe_pcap.png

As you can see, traffic on the non-working PC stops after SMB2 Negotiate Protocol Response (returning a RST, ACK after Negotiate Protocol Response and then trying the whole exchange 2 more times before quitting), while the working laptop continues with Session Setup Request/Response.

What could be causing this?

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
See if Network Reset helps.

wnr_2.png

Also make sure Network Profile is Private, not Public.

Last edited:

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just tried Network Reset, didn't change anything.

I also tried to establish shared folders on both the non working PC and the working laptop. The working laptop can access the shared folder on the non working PC, but not the other way round.

So, something is really wrong with my PC. Is there a way of resetting SMB settings?

I don't think public vs private network makes any different. The working laptop is set to public anyway.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Just tried Network Reset, didn't change anything.

I also tried to establish shared folders on both the non working PC and the working laptop. The working laptop can access the shared folder on the non working PC, but not the other way round.

So, something is really wrong with my PC. Is there a way of resetting SMB settings?

I don't think public vs private network makes any different. The working laptop is set to public anyway.

I also tried connecting to the NAS with smbclient -L <hostname> in a Linux VM on both working and non working systems. The working laptop works, but once again, the non working PC doesn't work, returning a NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE

Last edited:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
The laptop is using Public profile, of course you can't access it's shared folder from your PC or any other PC. Public network profile means Windows will block file sharing even if it's enabled.

Do't really know what happen to your PC. Check PC's event viewer?

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
OK, just found something weird.

I tried to force SMB2 on the Linux VM running on my non-working PC with "smbclient -m SMB2 -L <hostname>" AND IT WORKED!!!

If I then try to force SMB1 with "smbclient -m SMB1 -U galapogos -L 192.168.1.128" then I get the NT_STATUS_INVALID_NETWORK_RESPONSE error again. This is despite the Wireshark traces showing SMB2 packets (not SMB). What. The. Actual. Hell?! How do I force SMB2 on Windows 10? I thought I already did that in Windows Features (screenshot below)
smb_settings.png

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Is it possible DS218J blocked the PC or its IP?
I thought that might be the case because my PC is the only one that can't access, but I don't think so, because:
1. I can access the NAS via the web portal from the PC
2. I cannot access the NAS from a Linux VM in my PC with default settings. The Linux VM has a different IP address from the host PC.
3. I can access the NAS from the Linux VM when I force SMB2.

This seems to point to an SMB version problem? The trouble is, I can't find anywhere else in Windows to disable SMB1 (already did this in Windows Features and Registry)

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007

How to find out if SMBv2 is enabled on your PC
SMB version 2 should be enabled by default on your Windows 10 installation, but you can check using these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for PowerShell, right-click the top result, and select Run as administrator.
  3. Type the following command to check if SMBv2 is enabled and press Enter:
    Get-SmbServerConfiguration | Select EnableSMB2Protocol
    If the output returns True, then SMBv2 is enabled. If the output is False, use this command to enable it and press Enter:
    Set-SmbServerConfiguration –EnableSMB2Protocol $true

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
If nothing works, try Synology tech support or it's own forum.

Goi

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Tried the Powershell command, and SMB2 is enabled. I've already posted in Synology forum, but I don't think it's a problem with my NAS but something wrong with my Windows installation. I can't access ANY SMB shares at all, including other laptop SMB shares.