Troopers dub Mat-Su area the meth capital of Alaska

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
http://www.juneauempire.com/st.../sta_20050308002.shtml

Troopers dub Mat-Su area the meth capital of Alaska

WASILLA - The Matanuska-Susitna area is the methamphetamine capital of Alaska, according to Alaska State Troopers.

In 2003, authorities uncovered nine meth labs in the area. Last year, the number increased to 42, said Kyle Young, an investigator with the troopers who works with the Mat-Su narcotics team.

Officials with the Office of Children's Services in Wasilla said the problem affects children. The office receives about 40 calls a month from people reporting abuse or neglect involving some aspect of the highly addictive drug.

In late February, the Mat-Su narcotics unit arrested a couple at their Willow home. Michelle Motta said for years she tried to warn authorities that her three young nieces lived in the midst of a methamphetamine operation run by their parents, Phillip Dean and Laura Jackson.

Alaska State Troopers reported finding a "large active meth lab" in a detached garage shop. The house was a frigid mess, with piles of dirty dishes, clothes everywhere and frozen pipes, investigators said.

Through a hatch in the shop floor, the team found an underground room with a meth lab in one corner, as well as old marijuana root balls and lights from a past pot-growing operation.

An investigator said the team didn't find the children at home but saw signs of them there. Motta said the girls - ages 14, 8 and 6 - at times slept in the garage with the lab.

A year ago, the oldest girl detailed the household's rampant drug problems and squalid living conditions in a handwritten letter to a judge.

"My parents grow marijuana and crystal the(y) did the drugs that they bought in front of (my sisters)," the letter begins. "They spent most money on them instead of food or doing laundry. I got left home with nobody there I got left home with drug(g)ies..."

Motta now has custody of her three nieces. The Jacksons are jailed at Mat-Su Pre-Trial Facility in Palmer.

Children sharing homes with meth labs face the risk of contamination, fire, explosion, neglect and hazardous living conditions. Caseworkers report little children complaining of breathing problems from toxic fumes rising off chemicals such as acetone, ammonia and hydrochloric acid.

When authorities surrounded a converted bus housing a meth operation in Big Lake in January, a 13-year-old boy who answered the door bragged that his mom cooked the best meth in the valley, according to the troopers.

During a 2003 bust at a house outside Wasilla, officers discovered five children living inside, all younger than 8 years old.

The calls about meth to children's services in Wasilla accounts for as many as 40 percent of the agency's total monthly child protection calls.

The troopers are aggressively going after meth labs, said Capt. Ed Harrington, the supervisor of the state's drug and alcohol enforcement unit.

"It's just not a simple process," Harrington said. "Just because somebody calls in and says 'So and so's cooking meth' doesn't mean we're going to kick the door in the next night."

40 calls a month for a sparsely populated area is a lot. The question that needs to be asked, what program did the town leaders bring about to address that problem? After all they got a lot of money in earmarks, federal funding etc.

If they claim Palin has the experience to solve national and international problems, what did she do as Mayor to address this problem in a small community? And going further, what did she do as Governor?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
evidence of this happening in wasilla? mayors don't have much pull outside of the city limits. usually meth labs are in the middle of nowhere.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

Different town/government
10 miles away.

That is like holding San Franscisco responsible for what happens in Oakland.

People are really running scared to start reaching for this dirt to shovel around.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
OH FVCK ME! This is the best thing YET. The biggest proof of her incompetence as a leader. Some meth heads and she didn't deal with them, OMG, this is big time, boys, fire up the presses, cancel the earlier print, pull back the trucks, we need THIS on the newstands by TOMORROW MORNING OR I WILL HAVE YOUR HEADS.

Jun 27, 2005
Geography lesson:

Wasilla is in the Mat-Su burough. Wasilla is not the Mat-Su burough.

All of those incidents were "outside Wasilla" or in Big Lake or Willow. Wow... Good job Sarah! All that nonsense happening all around your town but not specifically in it. Maybe she was doing something right, eh?

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Originally posted by: GroundedSailor
http://www.juneauempire.com/st.../sta_20050308002.shtml

blah blah blah

40 calls a month for a sparsely populated area is a lot. The question that needs to be asked, what program did the town leaders bring about to address that problem? After all they got a lot of money in earmarks, federal funding etc.

If they claim Palin has the experience to solve national and international problems, what did she do as Mayor to address this problem in a small community? And going further, what did she do as Governor?

Nice reach there tard.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Alaskan burough = county in the lower 48
town = city
Lower 48 Translation: Problem was in the county, not the city

HuffPo:
"Wasilla's Meth Problem Made Palin's Borough The Meth Capital Of Alaska"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...blem-mad_n_123996.html
Interesting First post in that entry:
Palin was mayor of Wasilla from 1996 to 2002, so she was not mayor as the drug labs increased.

However, during the years she was governor, the labs were greatly reduced!

Sorry libs, try again LOL!!!!

----------------------

Meth Lab Statistics Alaska

September 3, 2008

The DEA reported in 2008 that meth labs in Alaska have decreased by 87% over the last three years, which they attribute to the limiting of the precursor chemicals needed to make meth.

http://methlabhomes.com/2008/0...lab-statistics-alaska/

whack-a-mole

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The desperation to discredit her continues to reach new heights every day. Just when I think it will die down, someone reaches for something even more petty or stupid to try to pin on her. Congratulations :)

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Hey if you had to live in a place that had 6 straight month of night you'd probably do meth or do what Whozzerdaddy did, move to Hawaii.

wwswimming

Banned
Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: XMan
42?

42?!?!

Man, they're not very motivated up there . . .

Try 820!

isn't there a Google Earth mash-up for this sort of thing ?

i nominate Newport, Washington State, a small town of 2000.
when i was looking at property there i talked with the police &
a county commission. 40+, i think it was 47 known meth labs.

it's meth labs per capita vs. meth labs per square mile.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: JD50
Wow, you guys are sinking to new lows.

No kidding, this is such a stretch. Hey, I heard Seattle has a high crime rate too! Thats close to Wasilla too! Palin is disqualified!

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Hows the community doing that Obama organized? I wonder where crime is worse, Wasilla or Chicago?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Well this fits in with the rest of the slime being tossed at Palin. The people sliming are too lazy to even do the most basic research.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I don't get it....why is everyone focused on Palin...unless you are all lead through the ring in your noses by the media.

I mean shouldn't this be Obama vs. McCain not Obama Vs. Palin?

It seems to me that the media and the Obamaphites are losing their focus, they are far more worried about a VP choice than the opponents presidential candidate.

In an earlier thread I pointed out how Biden has consistently sided with the RIAA, the MPAA and was a leading proponent of anti-technology voting, and early adopter of the Partriot Act etc.etc...all the same thing the Bush admin has been crucified for and the responses were that he is "just a VP"...it doesn't matter.

so why focus on Palin if she is "just a VP" instead of McCain and the issues?......it's simple....you attack what threatens you most and apparently Obama, and his followers are afraid of a young, white woman from a small town.

The same kind of person that lives in the area of the US between New York and L.A. that will decide this election.

be afraid....very afraid.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
This would be an issue if Palin were blowing her own horn over some tough-on-drugs campaign while she was in office. I am aware of no such sentiments on her part, so this is a complete waste of a thread. There are PLENTY of other vastly more relevant issues in which Palin crashes and burns.

Wow, you guys are sinking to new lows.

Really? I must have missed where Palin critics went after her middle name, or churned the rumor mill to produce some bullsh!t about her really being a Buddhist. So glad we have you impartial types to let us all know what's what! :roll:

You guys have been trying to sell political bilge water as champagne for the last few months, so spare us your views on "new lows."

Hows the community doing that Obama organized? I wonder where crime is worse, Wasilla or Chicago?

WOW. With incredible comparisons like that forming the base of some argument, it's no wonder you guys are sold on this ticket! A major US city with millions of residents having more crime than a tiny town in BF Alaska.

lol, hurry up November! ;)

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
125 people killed in Chicago over the summer.

Corbett

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
125 people killed in Chicago over the summer.

Come on guys, Obama is obviously responsible for the crime in Detroit, its only a few hours away after all!