Trine 2 ..Best 3D effect i've ever seen!

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Though Trine 2 has some pretty visuals. i just played it in 3D and WOW. from foreground to background, this is definitely the most stunning 3d effect i've ever seen.
Comes out of the screen within a couple feet and stretches into the horizon with perfection. very crisp visuals and some amazing detail i never noticed in 2d before.
i actually found myself staring, with the art style and graphics and how close the foreground pops out, its almost kinda like looking at a train set in how they do the foilage and towns.

i just wish all games could look this good in 3d. Even Avatar in 3d didn't do it as well as this game does..kudos to the developers.
i thought fraps would take some pics viewable in 3d but apparently not. But definitely made me giddy in the nerdiest way possible :biggrin:

surely i can't be the only one so amazed, never heard anyone mention how good this one looked in 3D. I thought Alice: madness returns looked pretty good but this one blows that out of the water. can't wait for a Trine 3

Gordon Freemen

Golden Member
May 24, 2012
Though I am not a big advocate myself of 3D Trine did look absolutely amazing regardless of the fact that is was a 2D side scroller which I did not play in 3D.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
Trine 2 is probably the most beautiful game I have ever played, bar none. Talk about some amazing art direction.

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
Trine 2 is probably the most beautiful game I have ever played, bar none. Talk about some amazing art direction.

This is absolutely true, but once I got my 3D Vision 2.0 kit from Nvidia and my 120hz 3D vision ready monitor and tried Trine 2 in 3D it was absolutely stunning, the depth perception effect is really spot on, everyone who's tried it on my rig says it feels like looking into a fish tank that scrolls sideways.

My brother trying 3D on it for the first time went to point out the depth of something on the screen and accident poked the screen quite hard because he literally misjudged the depth of what he was pointing at, no damage done thankfully :)

Its a great example of how a game designed for 3D rather than having it bolted on can make the experience that much better, and not just with cheesy set pieces but just by focusing on the fact that even with a side scroller platform game the world has depth. 3D particle effects are amazing as well, when the trine floats around the screen spewing them out it looks bloody cool.

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
Thank you,
you got me paying 500Usd for a new 3d Screen :O

Edit:
Is there another PERFECT games for PC which support 3d? i want to get ready before screen arrive in 4 days ..

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The weirdest thing about the 3D for me isn't actually part of the game. I use two monitors, and if I leave something like Anandtech (full of bright colors) open on the other screen, it causes me to be able to see the shutter through my peripheral vision. I end up turning off my other monitor at times or just minimizing whatever is on it (I have a black background). :p

do you need to wear those special glasses to see the 3d effects ?

Yes. You need to wear the nVidia glasses as they'll properly interface with the IR emitter or the PC (if using a wired USB model) on when to swap the active lense.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Well i wouldn't recommend investing in 3D stuff just for Trine 2 as from my experience seems to be the only game...or movie for that matter, that got it right.
The giant snake, the giant frog..etc almost startling. I wish everyone could see it.
Alice: Madness returns i have to say also looks pretty good in 3D, not great but good. Most others i try have too much bleeding or blurryness.

I just found that the underwater scenes don't seem to look very good, seems blurry to me. but the above water effect is flat out stunning.

The art direction would make for a fantastic RPG open world game. sadly this just leaves me craving for mooaarr!!
*edit: also wanted to mention that after 3 hrs constant play, my eyes don't feel tired at all....so maybe theres hope that 3D isn't so much a gimmick as it is for someone to do it right. It does take me about 5 seconds or so for my eyes to adjust for the 3D, but i can overlook that.
Wearing the glasses of course as most already know, is rather tiresome on the bridge of my nose after that 3 hours, then again, so were my HP's.

Last edited by a moderator:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
I have an old iz3d 22" screen still in the box, I wonder if it's any good.

(no glasses needed, but they went out of business with screens).

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have an old iz3d 22" screen still in the box, I wonder if it's any good.

(no glasses needed, but they went out of business with screens).

Hm I'm not having too much luck finding detail on what modes and such an iZ3D monitor supports, but I know Trine 2 supports nVision 3D natively. Technically, as long as you have something to translate the signal properly, anything could work.

Their website does mention the original Trine:
http://www.iz3d.com/games

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW...

You made me spend 500Usd , and IM GLAD i did ...
This game is awsome, i couldnt wait to get my monitor delivered ... i picked it up yesterday ( 2 hours drive )
For me , i will never ever buy a game without 3d option..

i told my mom to try it, i was playing with the warrior at the start ( before starting the journey )...

There was a double rainbow, river and afternoon sun light...
She asked:" Wow!!!! Can i live there?" :):):):)

Thanks alot for your thread.... !!! i cant wait to go back home from work and play...

Last edited:

PrincessFrosty

Platinum Member
Feb 13, 2008
www.frostyhacks.blogspot.com
I thought I read somewhere that Arkham City had good 3D support, or was that just for consoles?

It was built with full 3D support and works very well, the cutscenes were designed to look good in 3D and have stuff coming out of the screen at you, like when 2 face flips a coin in the air and you get a view point from above, the coin comes up and at you, then out of the screen, and back down.

thejunglegod said:
so no headaches at all??

A lot of the issues causing headaches with Nvidia 3D Vision 1 have been address with Vision 2, i've not tried the first but heard it can be uncomfortable for some people after about 15 minutes, so far Vision 2.0 with a Vision ready monitor for me has been fine, gamed for many hours without issue.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
hmm, 3D monitors cost the heaven and the earth these days. Will wait till there are more games which are deemed enough to be good in 3D. Would love to experience Trine in 3D though. The visuals in 2D itself were breathtaking.

Leopardos

Jul 15, 2009
hmm, 3D monitors cost the heaven and the earth these days. Will wait till there are more games which are deemed enough to be good in 3D. Would love to experience Trine in 3D though. The visuals in 2D itself were breathtaking.

I agree, they'r expensive ..
With the 3D price you can buy two monitors ...
But the joy in 3D monitor compared to two monitors is much MORE !!! and better than dual/triple monitors setup...

I cant belive i didnt buy 3D monitor the time it got released ...

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
With the 3D price you can buy two monitors ...
But the joy in 3D monitor compared to two monitors is much MORE !!! and better than dual/triple monitors setup...

I'm not so sure about that. Nvidia 3D looks pretty, but it doesn't make you any better at the game. Meanwhile, Eyefinity actually gives you a strategic advantage by using a wider field of view.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I'm not so sure about that. Nvidia 3D looks pretty, but it doesn't make you any better at the game. Meanwhile, Eyefinity actually gives you a strategic advantage by using a wider field of view.

Does saying that make you feel better about not being able to afford a 3D monitor? ; )

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
so no headaches at all??

well i never got headaches from 3D. at most i'd get groggy and my eyes would feel tired. However with this game, so far they never have even with 3 hours straight.

of course wearing 3d glasses on top of regular glasses isn't the most comfortable.
But this game has renewed my hope in 3D tech. before i thought it was kinda gimmicky at best.

theory816

Apr 13, 2012
i just looked at this thread and was wondering what trine 2 is so i youtube it. saying it looks amazing doesnt even justify it.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
i just looked at this thread and was wondering what trine 2 is so i youtube it. saying it looks amazing doesnt even justify it.

It is definitely a nice looking game. Although, I never beat the first one, because physics games tend to get on my nerves. :| Since physics is really just a bunch of math in the background, getting those variables to be the same each time.. not so easy. Makes repetition a royal pain.