TRIM to RAID-0 SSD Arrays and Option ROM

louisgii

Feb 27, 2013
On 16 August 2012, AnandTech Lal Shimpi stated in his article titled “Intel Brings TRIM to RAID-0 SSD Arrays on 7-Series Motherboards, We Test It”, the following: “In an unusually terse statement, Intel officially confirmed that the ATA TRIM command now passes through to RAID-0 SSD arrays on some systems running Intel's RST (Rapid Storage Technology ) RAID driver version 11.0 and newer. The feature is limited to Intel 7 series chipsets with RST RAID support and currently only works on Windows 7 OSes, although Windows 8 support is forthcoming.”

In this article he does not mention at all which version of the Option ROM that is required, being part of the BIOS.

I am running Windows 8 Pro on an ASUS P8Z77-V Pro, Intel Ivy Bridge Quad i7 3770K, with the latest BIOS, which is 1805 on two Intel 520 60GB SSDs in RAID “0” connected to the Intel Z77 Express Chipset SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (gray). The Option ROM version in this BIOS is 11.0.1339. My Intel RST driver which I installed prior to loading Windows 8 pro is 11.7.0.1013.

My question: Is TRIM being passed at all, I mean all the way to the RAID “0” SSDs on my system?

Fernando 1

Jul 29, 2012
The simple answer is: Yes!
All Intel RAID ROM versions from v11.0.0.1124 up do support the "TRIM in RAID0" feature for Intel Z77 chipset systems.
You can easily check, if TRIM is really working within your RAID0 array by running the TRIM Check tool (look >here<) or by using a hex editor (look >here<).

Last edited: