Trim and Intel SRT

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
If I use intel SRT in which I would use SSD Cache device.
Since my Sata controller mode is in Raid mode, will Trim command
will pass to my SSD Drive ?
Chipset=Z68
OS Win 7 Pro 64 Bit SP1

sub.mesa

Feb 16, 2010
Yes and no. The RAID setting will not prevent TRIM from working. However, if you use an SSD as cache device, it will not receive TRIM requests in this configuration. The caching itself does not 'support' TRIM. Only the NTFS filesystem actually generates TRIM requests, when you remove or truncate a file.

If you use Intel SRT caching with normal consumer SSDs, you really should overprovision them heavily. A 64GB SSD should be used max 50GB; a 128GB SSD should be used max 100GB. More is better, you would want about 25-45% overprovisioning. This is done by not partitioning a part of the SSD while it is in pristine condition (i.e. not already written/utilised).

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
If you use Intel SRT caching with normal consumer SSDs, you really should overprovision them heavily. A 64GB SSD should be used max 50GB; a 128GB SSD should be used max 100GB. More is better, you would want about 25-45% overprovisioning. This is done by not partitioning a part of the SSD while it is in pristine condition (i.e. not already written/utilised).
I am going to use 128 GB SSD.
Would you please explain how I can do this; cause right now SSD is being use 100% capacity. I do not mind doing 45% over provisioning; I just do not know how.
Thank you
Mir;)

sub.mesa

Feb 16, 2010
Drives that are used should be TRIM-erased before trying to overprovision them. If you overprovision a 'dirty' SSD which has been written to, then you will set aside space for nothing. The SSD doesn't know you don't use that data anymore, so it is forced to maintain that data.

Step 1: clean your SSDs; perform a TRIM erase on them by running quick format in Windows 7 or later (cannot be the system disk). Alternatively, you can use different tools like under Linux or even BSD since Windows offers limited TRIM support. But a quick format should do the trick. The only condition is that you use TRIM-capable drivers, like when using your chipset SATA ports.

Step 2: partition the SSD so that a portion of space is unused. On a 128GB SSD, you can create two partitions: one 50GB partition for SRT caching, and another 50GB for normal data storage (games, whatever). The 28GB that you leave unused will be utilised as spare space by the SSD, because it knows you/the host is not using that space, thus the SSD can use it for redirected writes.

Step 3: add the partition as SRT cache to your existing HDD with Windows installation. The maximum amount supported by SRT is 64GB but you can go much lower than this. Even 20 gigabytes of cache can have a very large impact on a multi-terabyte volume.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Thanks Sub.Mesa; sound like walk in a park.
I am going to do that.
I am thinking about this;
Plug into Second Sata Port on Z68 chipset.
Do a Quick Format (Should I wait for a Day or some thing until Trim command do the Job? )
Then Use windows to Del Partition and create one Partition for 64 GB and second for 50; which would leave me with 14 GB unsed stuff. Will that do would be a good over provisioning ?

san.salvador

Oct 18, 2012
It's even easier.
When you set up Smart response with Intel RST it automatically creates the 64GB partition for caching. Then you go into the Windows menu where you create and manage partitions (sorry, I use a german Windows, I don't know the english name). There you will see the 64GB partition and ~50GB of unused space. Just give that a drive letter and you are done. As long as you leave a good amount of space on that second partiton free you are good to go.

TL,DR:
You don't need to create any partitions beforehand, just use what Intel RST leaves for you. ;)

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
so in a nut shell
I format (Quick) the SSD
and Del the Partition
Then have RST create the Partition for for Caching
Then I can create my own Partition ...... let say 50 GB ?
Right ?
Kool

san.salvador

Oct 18, 2012
so in a nut shell
I format (Quick) the SSD
Yes.
and Del the Partition
There are no partitons after a format, already done.

Then have RST create the Partition for for Caching
Yes.

Then I can create my own Partition ...... let say 50 GB ?
Yes. If you want to play it REALLY safe, you dont partition all the space Intel RST leaves for you. If you use the max amount for caching (64GB), there are 55GB left. You can either use all of that and always leave some free, or you only make a let's say 40GB partition and leave the rest unpartitioned. What ever seems more appropriate for you.

Right ?
Kool
Should do it. ;)

€dit:

I use a 128GB SSD for chaching and do not use the rest of it. That's what it looks like.

rst%20%282%29.PNG

You don't see the space that is used for caching. But you can do whatever you want with the rest. In this case I have a spare area of 55GB.

Last edited:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Today, I plug the SSD
Did the Q Format which tool 2 Min (Never seen such a Slow Q Format)
Del The Partitations
Have intel Create the MAX size with MAX performance. (It took 3-4 min )
Reboot the Computer
Set the Temp, Tmp, and Virtual Memory on SSD.
One first boot I couldn't tell the difference.......
On second Boot; I didn't heard any normal clicking sound comming from my 1 TB WD Black. It was booting as if I was booting off SSD.
I am very impress. I do want intel too push cache to 128 GB. I know 64 GB is huge, but when multiple people use the HTTC I can imagine it can easily feel the 64 Gig
However I love the SRT feature so far. I hope they also able to pass the Trim information to SSD drive.

Unit'Igor

Feb 21, 2013
No it want pass TRIM to your Raid mode,you need modded OROM flash to your BIOS.
Especially modified Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with TRIM in RAID0 for P67 and Z68 system
Whole procedure

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
No it want pass TRIM to your Raid mode,you need modded OROM flash to your BIOS.
Especially modified Intel RST(e) RAID ROM v11.6.0.1702 with TRIM in RAID0 for P67 and Z68 system
Whole procedure

For RAIDED drives, yes. For single drives (non raided) when in RAID mode, no (assuming that the single drives are regular OS drives and not some sort of special, caching drive used in the background by the board). AFAIK, RST has been able to pass TRIM to single drives on a RAID mode board for quite some time.

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
For RAIDED drives, yes. For single drives (non raided) when in RAID mode, no (assuming that the single drives are regular OS drives and not some sort of special, caching drive used in the background by the board). AFAIK, RST has been able to pass TRIM to single drives on a RAID mode board for quite some time.

so I don't need it ?
Intel SRT will pass the Trim information ?
Is there any benfit upgrading ORom in
my stitution ?

Unit'Igor

Feb 21, 2013
Yes you are right i find it on Crucial forum.targetbsp have single drive in Raid mode and he says that TRIM works.It will be very good that Mir96TA test Trim with HxD method.

Last edited:

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
so I don't need it ?
Intel SRT will pass the Trim information ?
Is there any benfit upgrading ORom in
my stitution ?

If it's an OS readable single drive, TRIM will be passed. As the 2nd poster in this thread indicated, I don't think it will be passed to a caching drive, but am not 100% sure.

Regardless, you don't need an OROM in either case as that will have no effect since you are not using RAIDED SSD's (unless I missed something).

Edit: Damnit, am I mixing up my terms in SRT and RST (rapid storage technology - i.e. the Intel driver)? Regardless, RST (driver) passes TRIM to single SSD's running on a board in RAID mode. As for SRT, I don't know if TRIM is even passed (or necessary) as this seems to be from BIOS and I'm not sure that the OS is even involved at all (assuming no TRIM at all on this).

Last edited:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Should I made Topolgy ?
I don't mind testing Trim passing command
I just don't know to do in Hex :biggrin:
spoon feed me :twisted:

Mir96TA

Golden Member
Oct 21, 2002
Trim is not working on SSD Drive ( :d ) I create drive letter on some portion of the Drive