Trillian.exe = hacks/spyware???

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I just reformatted my harddrive with a fresh install of windows. downloaded the latest updates with SP2 from microsoft.

Installed firefox.

and all of the sudden, the problems that i was experiencing that forced me to reformat came back.

My internet comes to a complete halt or sometimes very slow. Frustrated, i hit ctrl-alt-del to see what's in the process. I Found out that there's a process called "trillian.exe" in my c:\documents & settings\username

WTF? i didn't even install trillian and it magically appear somehow?

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I know, but wtf. As soon as i force close it. my internet is back to normal.

I don't know how it got there right after the reformat..... Is it a trojan? spyware?

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Shawn
It was obviously still on one of your other partitions or drives.

:eek:

I have a 2nd partition (d drive) with stuff in it. I guess i should also reformat that and start all over?

Kroze

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
damn i guess i'll be back in a few hours :(

i hate hackers. what a bunch of scum.

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: Kroze

I have a 2nd partition (d drive) with stuff in it. I guess i should also reformat that and start all over?

Why not just get an antivirus program?

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006

Obviously.

;)

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
it's obviously a fake.

Shawn knows everything, obviously.

Obviously. I can't remember the last time I've had a virus, spyware, or trojan.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

Obviously.

d3n

Golden Member
Mar 13, 2004
Originally posted by: RapidSnail
it's obviously a fake.

Shawn knows everything, obviously.

Perhaps, dare I say. Master of the obvious.

Motorheader

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
Trillian is an Instant Messaging frontend the last I knew. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

Formatting sounds like the "finger hurts, cut off finger, pain in finger gone" approach.

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
1. Your machine may have been hacked when it was connected to the internet while you were downloading service packs. You should try and create a slipstreamed Windows install disc or put a hardware firewall between your computer and the internet.

2. Your machine may have a virus on the boot record of one of your disks. If so, it will reinfect your machine after a fresh install.

3. Very unlikely but it has happened to me. Your BIOS could be infected with a virus. If that is the case you may be fubar.

BobDaMenkey

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Motorheader
Trillian is an Instant Messaging frontend the last I knew. AIM, MSN, Yahoo, etc.

Formatting sounds like the "finger hurts, cut off finger, pain in finger gone" approach.

It worked for me for a long time :)

That said I started using AVG instead on my main rig and haven't had issues since.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Motorheader

that made me lol

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006

Oh really? Bypassing security utilities is not impossible you know. Very unlikely, but still possible. I suppose your computer is secured with a multi-layered defense, as today it is almost a requirement. On the other hand, maybe you are just using a Macintosh without worry of threats. Ultimately, it all comes down to safe computing habits and wise software decisions. Some people, however, are extremely naive with regard to PC security, especially Generation Y. Lowering your vulnerability is still the responsibility of the end user though. Your decisions, your choices I suppose.

RapidSnail

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2006
I just reformatted my harddrive with a fresh install of windows. downloaded the latest updates with SP2 from microsoft.

Installed firefox.

and all of the sudden, the problems that i was experiencing that forced me to reformat came back.

My internet comes to a complete halt or sometimes very slow. Frustrated, i hit ctrl-alt-del to see what's in the process. I Found out that there's a process called "trillian.exe" in my c:\documents & settings\username

WTF? i didn't even install trillian and it magically appear somehow?

Follow these instructions and run some anti-malware apps to see if that will get rid of your problem.