Trilateral Commission concerned that Ron Paul is causing significant damage

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

palehorse

Lifer
Dec 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Perry404
Originally posted by: palehorse74
Iraq is not threat to us and never was.

on that we can agree... however, we're there now, so I "cheer" our continued honorable effort to fix what we've broken.

Answer this question.
Which is more dangerous, Afghanistan in the year 2000 or Iran now?
Conflicts in/with Iran, Afghanistan, Korea, Somalia, and Iraq must each be addressed individually; so I don't really think there's a way to answer to your question other than to say that they each pose a significant threat to the U.S. and Europe.

What was your point in asking?

I'm asking you to address them individually right now. This is not hypothetical. Which of these two nations do you believe is/was more dangerous to the United States, Afghanistan in the year 2000 or Iran now? Really it's a simple question.
Fair enough.

I believe that the terrorists training and plotting in Afghanistan in 2000 posed more of direct threat to the continental U.S. than Iran does today -- hence 9/11.

However, that fact will change dramatically the instant Iran obtains weapons-grade nuclear materials, which may occur in the next few years.

That said, I hope that a) Iran never obtains weapons-grade nuclear materials, and b) we never go to war with Iran.

So, once again, what was your point?

HeXploiT

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2004
Originally posted by: JohnOfSheffield

I am very sorry for your wife and please do send me the bills for her treatment, i know it's not much but i can at least take care of that if it's a problem for you.

You really should look into getting some insurance after that though, it's not impossible to get and while it will cost a lot it's nowhere near 50K.

Actually we do have insurance. I was merely making the financial part of the situation more dramatic to prove a point. Thanks for offering to pay my bills though. I'll lok you up when it's time to send my daughter to collage.:beer:

Iraq is not threat to us and never was.

on that we can agree... however, we're there now, so I "cheer" our continued honorable effort to fix what we've broken.

Answer this question.
Which is more dangerous, Afghanistan in the year 2000 or Iran now?
Conflicts in/with Iran, Afghanistan, Korea, Somalia, and Iraq must each be addressed individually; so I don't really think there's a way to answer to your question other than to say that they each pose a significant threat to the U.S. and Europe.

What was your point in asking?

I'm asking you to address them individually right now. This is not hypothetical. Which of these two nations do you believe is/was more dangerous to the United States, Afghanistan in the year 2000 or Iran now? Really it's a simple question.
Fair enough.

I believe that the terrorists training and plotting in Afghanistan in 2000 posed more of direct threat to the continental U.S. than Iran does today -- hence 9/11.

However, that fact will change dramatically the instant Iran obtains weapons-grade nuclear materials, which may occur in the next few years.

That said, I hope that a) Iran never obtains weapons-grade nuclear materials, and b) we never go to war with Iran.

So, once again, what was your point?

Interesting. My point is this. If we leave Iraq the absolute worst that can happen is that it ends up like Afghanistan in 2000(unlikely).
If we stay the best we're going to get(after we kill a couple hundred thousand more Iraqis) is an Islamic republic that resembles Iran. It is not possible to build a western friendly republic in the middle east(ESPECIALLY that area) in under 20 years. It's just not going to happen. If we stay we're going to create another radical Islamist republic and in the meantime the tens or hundreds of thousands of militants and clans we've armed to fight "the terrorists" will ultimately turn against us just as they have always done.
For the record I do not believe that Afghanistan in 2000 was more dangerous than Iran today. Not even close. 9/11 was a fluke. A freak incident. Iran easily presents a greater danger and we are creating another Iran by causing the entire Islamic world to hate us beyond all reckoning. Our intentions may be "good" but in reality we are doing more harm than good.