Tried To Play Xbox

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Being a PC gamer, over Thanksgiving break I tried to play Black Ops on the Xbox with some family at their place. Man I suck. I am not sure I could get used to using a controller. (Of course they say they could never play on a PC) I sit about 10' from my monitor (50" plasma) and play with a cordless keyboard and trackball mouse. That's kinda like playing Xbox...
Too bad you can't play PC vs Xbox. I think I could take them.

triton2k3

Aug 16, 2007
I've never tried a keyboard and mouse on an Xbox but I will say that I was a pc gamer that bought and Xbox and haven't played a pc game since. Xbox has the easiest controller to get used to in my opinion.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011
Too bad you can't play PC vs Xbox. I think I could take them.
Mouse would be a huge advantage and make playing on the xbox awful.

The truth is that the controller on consoles is inferior for FPS, but it's ultimately still fun to play and as long as the game's difficulty is catered accordingly it all works out.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
All it takes is a little practice. I've been primarily a PC gamer my whole life but have no problem playing fps's on consoles and stay competitive with ease. Just stick with it. Sometimes it's nice to be able to sit back and relax and play a game than to hunch over a kb/m all the time.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
I play Blops on 360 and know I'm not as good as I would be with kb/mouse but then again no one else is using kb/mouse so it evens out.

triton2k3

Aug 16, 2007
All it takes is a little practice. I've been primarily a PC gamer my whole life but have no problem playing fps's on consoles and stay competitive with ease. Just stick with it. Sometimes it's nice to be able to sit back and relax and play a game than to hunch over a kb/m all the time.

Definitely agree.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
My sofa reclines. I sit with my feet up, the keyboard partially on the left arm rest and my lap. The mouse on the sofa next to me. A pillow under my head. Oh, and a beer on the end table. :biggrin:

I am thinking about getting an Xbox though.

Apr 12, 2010
I suck at FPS as it is. At least with a mouse/kb I can be halfway moderately decent, with some practice.
I had a serious dislike for FPS before I got into PC gaming. Then once I had my hands on mouse/kb and playing games like Doom 3 & Half-Life 2, I was sold. There is no going back.

I refuse to play any FPS on console due to lack of mouse/kb support.
PS2 had a very small handful of games that support mouse/kb, but it's very minimalist. But I am looking forward to playing those very few at some point.

It's fucking sad how new consoles do support mouse/kb, but developers refuse to utilize it. Especially when the console games have PC counterparts.
What about about single player or co-op games?
Is it really that fucking difficult to implement?

I played RE6 demo recently & the whole time I felt fucking crippled.
I'd like to catch up on RE5 & 6. But I know anything less than mouse/kb, I'd be all kinds of frustrated with inferior controls.

I can tolerate some third person shooters. But still, console gamers need to get with the times.

Also, carpal tunnel makes it difficult to play some games in more than short bursts.
On PC I'd always go out of my way looking for games that supported (and were designed for) controllers. Games like racers/platformers or didn't require precise aiming.
And while I'm at it, PC games like those could utilize controllers a bit more, especially when it's a type of game that is simply more natural to play on controller.

Last edited:

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012
OP, keep trying. You will get better.

My PC died on me during the summer. I had no money for parts..all I had was my near Mint PS3, only used for Hulu and Netflix and an unopened copy of Black Ops.

I sucked SO bad at first. I couldn't aim to save my life. Then, I met a clan of some pretty good players that beat the crap out of me because I begged them to show me how to play.

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
Switching from playing FPS games on PC to console is hard at first and you'll die a lot more than you get kills, but you'll get use to it. I use to only be a PC gamer, but over time I just found that the community is much larger on Xbox than it was on PC, not to mention most of my friends switched over to being console gamers. The only other problem is that graphics are like 2003-2004 era quality because that's when these systems were being developed, but I got over that pretty quick.

Like Hexen said, the xim3/xim edge are the closest you're going to get if you want to use a mouse/kb on consoles. You can check out tons of YouTube videos of people using the device. I have a friend who only use to play CS on the PC and got a 360. He really blew at FPS games at first, but improved from being a 0.5 to 0.6 K/D and only getting like 6-7 kills a game with the 360 controller to having a 2.5+ K/D and getting 20+ kills a game with the xim3 on MW3.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
i can play on either pad or kb/mouse just as well. Be it on console or PC
like anything else it takes getting used to and practice.
i had some screenshots a while back of me placing #1 and 2 in some UT3 tourny's using my 360 pad.

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
That I hadn't thought about and don't know. I better google it.

Hmmm. Anyone used these? Is the "360" a newer Xbox?
http://www.penguinunited.com
http://www.mayflash.com/?Products/XBOXXBOX360/MAX003.html

Those are just ok... I would not use them, while they roughly work, if you want the same accuracy and as close as possible feel to pc controls on a XBOX 360 you really need a XIM.

They can be expensive though and hard to find. BUT once you get them working correctly and fine tuned they really are amazing. Look it up XIM360 there are different versions out there, personally I like the 2 version the most. Good Luck.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Keyboard and mice on the 360 is pretty easy nowdays.. as stated several places manufacture them. easiest ones to use are dongles that you plug your own mouse and keyboard into and then you can map them (on dongle) to whatever you want.. Problem is aiming on the 360 is set up for a stick.. and you simply cant replicate it on a mouse.. the delay is hard to overcome.. but.. as a PC gamer.. even the crappiest setup is better then the stick.. I went from almost bottom of list (kills) to almost top in one day with mine.. and with some practice was consistently top.. Consoles have way to much "automatic" in them.. aim assist and such.. Of course people who are used to the stick can be incredibly good too.. but (opinion) a M&K is the best controls for a FPS.. just not on a console.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Keyboard and mice on the 360 is pretty easy nowdays.. as stated several places manufacture them. easiest ones to use are dongles that you plug your own mouse and keyboard into and then you can map them (on dongle) to whatever you want.. Problem is aiming on the 360 is set up for a stick.. and you simply cant replicate it on a mouse.. the delay is hard to overcome.. but.. as a PC gamer.. even the crappiest setup is better then the stick.. I went from almost bottom of list (kills) to almost top in one day with mine.. and with some practice was consistently top.. Consoles have way to much "automatic" in them.. aim assist and such.. Of course people who are used to the stick can be incredibly good too.. but (opinion) a M&K is the best controls for a FPS.. just not on a console.

Which one do you use?

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002

XIM360 2 does a pretty good job at not having a delay. I don't notice any. But that might be because of the way its designed. I ended up shelling out fare amount for mine. I am not sure how good the new XIM 3s work. They look fancy but the XIM2s were a modded 360 controller with one port that went into the 360 and one that went into your pc.

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
Same problem. Used to get owned on console FPS, got better but still not as good as on PC.

Get a XIM. Best available.

I plan to get one, along with Halo 4, so I can frag some console noobs over Christmas break.

"YEAH! WHO'S THE NOOB NOW BITCHES!?!?!?!"

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I tried to play gears of war again with a buddy. He had it on casual difficulty and I was still having problems

ah well

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
My two pet peeves with console FPS:

1) having to hold and wait while turning at a pre-defined maximum speed instead of just flipping around as fast as you can flick.

2) having to hold the stick on target and CONSTANT fighting with the auto return to zero/center feature, or having to rely on auto aim or aim helper functions in console games to compensate for this problem. Especially annoying when you have to contort your hands holding the sticks aiming up into the sky and to one side and you keep over/undershooting fighting with the auto center trying to aim you back down at the ground.

FWIW I always preferred touch pads and always hated those little eraser stick things too. I need linear 1:1 position relative control with pixel precision, not pressure based, and I can't stand acceleration built in to compensate for limited range of motion.

Last edited:

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I tried to play gears of war again with a buddy. He had it on casual difficulty and I was still having problems

ah well

I loved the GOW series. Played and beat all 3. One of those things where I picked up the dual pack to see if the wife would like it and it was shortly after 3 was released. So we beat the first 2 and the 3rd was ready to go. Waiting for 4!!