Trick to keeping lens from fogging?

DudeAbides

Mar 2, 2009
Just got back from the beach and had a terrible time with my lens fogging up every time I went inside or came outside after any meaningful amount of time. One time it actually fogged in three places, on my lens filter, on the lens, and on the mirror.

Is there a trick for solving this? A friend suggested white vinegar?

speedy2

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2008
I wouldn't put vinegar on the lens.

The problem is the temperature change and the humidity. The best way is to take your gear out before you want to shoot so that it's the same temp as outside.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Really, speedy2 is right - you just have to allow for climatization to take place. Sometimes it takes as much as 20 minutes. The worst case I ever had was on a cruise down the Amazon River - very high humidity and warm outside. I went from an A/C stateroom to the deck for pics - immediate fog up. So, I sat and waited. Soon, it was cleared.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Transport your gear in a vacuum sealed container.

DudeAbides

Mar 2, 2009
The problem I had was at a wedding. I was inside with the rest of the wedding party then they wanted to take pics outside so we went outside. No time to "let it adjust", I could have either missed the pics inside, outside, or brought two cameras.

There has to be a way to prevent this. I will keep looking and let you guys know if I find something.

angry hampster

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2007
www.lexaphoto.com
If you're photographing weddings you need *bare minimum* two cameras. I will be running into this situation in 2 weeks with an indoor/outdoor wedding next to a lake. I'll leave my 30D inside and use my 5D outdoors.

DudeAbides

Mar 2, 2009
Not really *photographing* it, I was just there and wanted to get good pics because my daughter was a flower girl.