Triangle Logic Puzzle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Number1
Originally posted by: PurdueRy
quad·ri·lat·er·al Pronunciation (kwdr-ltr-l)
n. Mathematics
A polygon having four sides.

It is a shape and the shape in the problem has 4 sides

I stand corrected, now where is the quadrilateral?
Still look like triangles to me.

It LOOKS like it because of the grid. It's an optical illusion that tricks your eyes.

Reactions: shortylickens

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It's the bent hypotenuse in the top.

My measurements:

From tip to tip, along the bent hypotenuse, I drew and measured a line in GIMP. This created a large obtuse triangle with a hypotenuse length of 454.6 pixels, and a height of 5 pixels. Area = 1136.5.

Then I measured the square, the "missing" area - 32x32 pixels. Area = 1024

Pretty close. That's your missing area, shown mathematically.

Everyone saying that it "looks" like a triangle - have a look at this Java thing done by notfred. Draw an n-gon with 100 sides. Looks like a circle doesn't it? But it's not.:p

Number1

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
Originally posted by: DrPizza
Hey, thanks for that image born2bwire...

Smart: figure it out on their own.
Average: figure it out when someone tells them it doesn't form a triangle.

What's the category when they still think it's a triangle after being told it's not??
:p :)

When people sign up on these forums, in addition to the box you check that says you agree to the TOS, there should be a couple of other questions... "Where'd the square go?" and "Will the plane take off?"

OK I got it now, not triangles.
Who figured it out for you?

MidNiteMysT

May 23, 2005
someone reply to my previous post. even if it did shave off some, how could it form a new square? its not like its made of water, its shapes. if you tried to shave off pieces of cubes to fit in a box, enough shaving that would equal one cube, it wouldnt mean you can fit another cube in there, just that it will rattle a bit. so i agree that the line isnt straight, but how does that shaving or bulge result in a perfect new sqaure hole?

edit: try doing this on grid paper and then cut it out and tell me if it works. you'll see what i mean.

Ophir

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2001
Originally posted by: MidNiteMysT
someone reply to my previous post. even if it did shave off some, how could it form a new square? its not like its made of water, its shapes. if you tried to shave off pieces of cubes to fit in a box, enough shaving that would equal one cube, it wouldnt mean you can fit another cube in there, just that it will rattle a bit. so i agree that the line isnt straight, but how does that shaving or bulge result in a perfect new sqaure hole?

edit: try doing this on grid paper and then cut it out and tell me if it works. you'll see what i mean.
I don't know where you are getting your liquid analogy, but it doesn't apply to two dimensional shapes.

The answer is that the 1st BIG "triangle" is not a triangle (3 sides), it is actually 4 sided.

In order for the BIG "triangle" to be a triangle, the slope of the red and green triangles have to be identical (which would also equal the slope of the BIG "triangle"). They do not. The slope of the red triangle is 3/8 = .375, slope of the green triangle = 2/5 = .4, slope of the BIG "triangle" is 5/13 = .3846.

The reason the empty space arises is because you are changing the shape of the 4-sided "triangle." What is happening is that you are going from a small slope to a big slope
on the top, and big slope to a small slope on the bottom. So the bottom one will bie bigger and a square needs to be removed for the areas to be equal.

Illustration of the optical illusion
(I exaggerated for effect)

MidNiteMysT

May 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Ophir
Originally posted by: MidNiteMysT

I don't know where you are getting your liquid analogy, but it doesn't apply to two dimensional shapes.

The answer is that the 1st BIG "triangle" is not a triangle (3 sides), it is actually 4 sided.

In order for the BIG "triangle" to be a triangle, the slope of the red and green triangles have to be identical (which would also equal the slope of the BIG "triangle"). They do not. The slope of the red triangle is 3/8 = .375, slope of the green triangle = 2/5 = .4, slope of the BIG "triangle" is 5/13 = .3846.

The reason the empty space arises is because you are changing the shape of the 4-sided "triangle." What is happening is that you are going from a small slope to a big slope
on the top, and big slope to a small slope on the bottom. So the bottom one will bie bigger and a square needs to be removed for the areas to be equal.

Illustration of the optical illusion
(I exaggerated for effect)

okay, now i get it. the illustration was key to my understanding. Thanks

Ronaldrc33

Dec 2, 2016
I could never figure out why everyone always over think this puzzle. The cooked lines have nothing to do with it.

when you reverse the triangles on top you make that section above the the boxes longer, that's all that is happening nothing gained or nothing lost. I know if you count the boxes it is always 13 x 5 but please do not forget one of those boxes is empty there is nothing in that spot.

Ronald

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
AljF3zm.gif

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Here's a better one.

There are 30 bats, one bat hits the necro troll over the head. What is the name of this one lone bat?

If you said Batman you are wrong. If you said louisville slugger congratulations. You've earned yourself a jack & coke.

Ronaldrc33

Dec 2, 2016
when I signed on the computer told me I had a message from John Conner.

When I check the post his last post does'n seem to relate to my post, and it appears before my Graphic post of the answer for the puzzle?

Whats going on?

Sorry John:Ronald

Ronaldrc33

Dec 2, 2016
Hello
John Connor, if you answered my post I do not see your post following mine. I apologize for I am new on this forum and do not know the layout of it yet.

Question shouldn't your post follow my posted graphic?

I didn't have a clue what you where referring to in the post above my graphic.

Ronald:(

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Ronaldrc33,

I hope that you realize that you answered to a thread that was last posted Apr 9, 2006. That is 10 yrs. 8 months ago and is frowned upon (called necro'd) in forums, which I reported prior to my own response.
May your visits here will be rich and rewarding.

ThreadNecro.gif

Ronaldrc33

Dec 2, 2016
Hello John

Thanks for your reply, That is the first time I have ever heard that name necro'd used guess I don't visit enough forums.

But I did notice that no one give a different answer to this question other than the senseless one about the hypotenuse.
And everyone knows that that makes no sense what so ever.

My answer about the section being lengthened above the two square sections to make that space is a fact and not theory makes perfect sense. You really have to think about this to understand it.
Thanks again for the reply.

Ronald