Trey Gowdy/Benghazi Panel paid $150,000 in public funds to settle wrongful termination suit

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I know it's been a busy Friday in P&N, but here's a little tidbit that slipped by the wayside. While the Post has been looking into Congress' hush fund (used to pay out harassment settlements with public funds) they found one settlement for a completely different lawsuit.

You see, back when the supposedly legit House Select Committee on Benghazi was convened, at least one investigator took issue with the fact that he was being told to focus the investigation on Hillary Clinton (*cough* witch hunt *cough*) and not, like, what actually happened in Benghazi. Not playing ball apparently irked Gowdy and the GOP so much that when this veteran got called up for Air Force Reservist duty, he was fired for failure to show up for work (support our troops!) Except, oopsie doopsie, that's illegal!

So yeah, we all paid a few cents towards his settlement and he was forced to sign a confidentiality agreement, because God forbid anyone discovers how morally bankrupt this GOP Congress really is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...0a9770d9a3e_story.html?utm_term=.29297a40ff8a

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
After being painfully dragged through and stomped on by Trump's and his complicit Congressional Repubs ridiculously partisan Keystone Cops style antics this past year, I am thoroughly numbed and jaded by the sheer volume of outrageously divisive hack jobs, blatant sellouts to the wealthy and treasonous acts perpetrated by these crooks.

I have never seen so many traitorous actions against the people being played out by Trump and his Repub led Congress compressed into such a short period of time. That the Repubs are stalling and obstructing their own supposed "investigations" of the Trump admin. is simply adding a nice fresh steaming turd on top of the pile they've already managed to crap out of themselves.

"Party before Country" has taken on new meaning for me because of the excessively partisan approach to politicking that the Repubs have taken now that they have complete control of the government. It was bad when the Bush/Cheney corporate takeover of the gov't occurred, it got worse when Obama took charge via the Repub's plan to completely obstruct Obama at every turn, but this Trump/Wall St./Putin sponsored infected version of it makes the former look like Jimmy Carter was head of state at the time.

With three more years of this kind of all out war on the middle class and the poor to look forward to, I hope the Dems get riled up enough to stop this disease, this GOP inspired plague from spreading too far.

What's good for the middle class is good for the nation as a whole but Trump, his fellow Repubs in Congress and their very wealthy donor class don't believe that at all. The legislation they're now ramming through into passage proves that beyond all doubt.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
After being painfully dragged through and stomped on by Trump's and his complicit Congressional Repubs ridiculously partisan Keystone Cops style antics this past year, I am thoroughly numbed and jaded by the sheer volume of outrageously divisive hack jobs, blatant sellouts to the wealthy and treasonous acts perpetrated by these crooks.

I have never seen so many traitorous actions against the people being played out by Trump and his Repub led Congress compressed into such a short period of time. That the Repubs are stalling and obstructing their own supposed "investigations" of the Trump admin. is simply adding a nice fresh steaming turd on top of the pile they've already managed to crap out of themselves.

"Party before Country" has taken on new meaning for me because of the excessively partisan approach to politicking that the Repubs have taken now that they have complete control of the government. It was bad when the Bush/Cheney corporate takeover of the gov't occurred, it got worse when Obama took charge via the Repub's plan to completely obstruct Obama at every turn, but this Trump/Wall St./Putin sponsored infected version of it makes the former look like Jimmy Carter was head of state at the time.

With three more years of this kind of all out war on the middle class and the poor to look forward to, I hope the Dems get riled up enough to stop this disease, this GOP inspired plague from spreading too far.

What's good for the middle class is good for the nation as a whole but Trump, his fellow Repubs in Congress and their very wealthy donor class don't believe that at all. The legislation they're now ramming through into passage proves that beyond all doubt.

Look at this gem from Hatch. The guy is senile.

"While whipping votes for a GOP tax bill on Thursday, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) attacked “liberal programs” for the poor and said Congress needed to stop wasting Americans' money.

“We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy,” Hatch said. “Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through.”

Reactions: tweaker2

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Look at this gem from Hatch. The guy is senile.

"While whipping votes for a GOP tax bill on Thursday, Senate Finance Committee Chairman Orrin G. Hatch (R-Utah) attacked “liberal programs” for the poor and said Congress needed to stop wasting Americans' money.

“We're spending ourselves into bankruptcy,” Hatch said. “Now, let's just be honest about it: We're in trouble. This country is in deep debt. You don't help the poor by not solving the problems of debt, and you don't help the poor by continually pushing more and more liberal programs through.”

And here's the kicker: The poor folks Hatch is referring to includes those thousands upon thousands of his own constituents that voted him into office. That shithead is condemning the very folks that put him in office and believe or not, those very same folks have amazingly rationalized themselves into believing that they aren't the ones that Hatch is disparaging and aiming to make their lives worse than ever. This by taking away the very essential gov't entitlements that HIS poor constituents heavily rely on to manage even a bare minimum of a decent standard of living.

How fvcked up is that? Yet these poor schmucks keep voting him into office. Why? Because the GOP mind fvcking propaganda spin machine got ahold of them and turned them into mindless 'vote getting 'bots is all I can come up with.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
And here's the kicker: The poor folks Hatch is referring to includes those thousands upon thousands of his own constituents that voted him into office. That shithead is condemning the very folks that put him in office and believe or not, those very same folks have amazingly rationalized themselves into believing that they aren't the ones that Hatch is disparaging and aiming to make their lives worse than ever. This by taking away the very essential gov't entitlements that HIS poor constituents heavily rely on to manage even a bare minimum of a decent standard of living.

How fvcked up is that? Yet these poor schmucks keep voting him into office. Why? Because the GOP mind fvcking propaganda spin machine got ahold of them and turned them into mindless 'vote getting 'bots is all I can come up with.

I've heard that the reason poor people vote in Republicans that screw them over is because they tend to see themselves as aspirant... that those lower taxes for the wealthy are necessary because they, too, will be wealthy one day. They don't want to admit that their high school-only education and lack of talent means they'll probably be stuck in their income level for the rest of their lives, and that the Democrat would've been the wiser choice.

Reactions: tweaker2

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I've heard that the reason poor people vote in Republicans that screw them over is because they tend to see themselves as aspirant... that those lower taxes for the wealthy are necessary because they, too, will be wealthy one day. They don't want to admit that their high school-only education and lack of talent means they'll probably be stuck in their income level for the rest of their lives, and that the Democrat would've been the wiser choice.

That was an interpretation I read about people in eastern KY and parts of West Virginia. It was very weird pride complex.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Yes I see this a lot. I like to call it the "lottery complex". They think the big windfall is right around the corner or will be someday so why pay more taxes or have programs they won't need. All while drawing off a myriad of federal and state programs.

skull

Platinum Member
Jun 5, 2000

That or they witness first hand how hand outs keep people down. Why work hard or better yourself when big brothers checks in the mail every month? At the same time if they go to work big brother steals from their paycheck to give it to others that don't work. I've met a lot of idiots that say they collect welfare because billy bob does it too, billy joe feels hes losing out not signing up, even though he says welfare is bullshit and hates his taxes going to people that don't work so why shouldn't he take advantage too?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
I know it's been a busy Friday in P&N, but here's a little tidbit that slipped by the wayside. While the Post has been looking into Congress' hush fund (used to pay out harassment settlements with public funds) they found one settlement for a completely different lawsuit.

You see, back when the supposedly legit House Select Committee on Benghazi was convened, at least one investigator took issue with the fact that he was being told to focus the investigation on Hillary Clinton (*cough* witch hunt *cough*) and not, like, what actually happened in Benghazi. Not playing ball apparently irked Gowdy and the GOP so much that when this veteran got called up for Air Force Reservist duty, he was fired for failure to show up for work (support our troops!) Except, oopsie doopsie, that's illegal!

So yeah, we all paid a few cents towards his settlement and he was forced to sign a confidentiality agreement, because God forbid anyone discovers how morally bankrupt this GOP Congress really is.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...0a9770d9a3e_story.html?utm_term=.29297a40ff8a

Just so I am absolutely clear on this...

Republican supervisors retaliated against him because he had to take two leaves to fulfill his obligations as an Air Force reservist.

Republican supervisors retaliated against him because he had to take two leaves to fulfill his obligations as an Air Force reservist.

636177787670619599-TreyGowdy.jpg

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Thanks for posting this, it definitely got lost in the rest of the stuff.

Yep, good old Republican hypocrisy and corruption.

Agreed.

So, anyone know the final tally that these fiscal conservatives charged taxpayers for their litany of fevered Benghazi dreams?

Trey Gowdy and the rest of these arseholes who pretend to stand for the troops can go straight to the hell they believe in.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Technically it was an official US investigation. The taxpayers are on the hook for the settlement.

The confidentiality agreement though, is absolute and total BS and is outrageous. The only purpose of the confidentiality agreement is to protect the PUBLIC OFFICIAL from embarrassment for his misconduct or errors committed in his official capacity. That is something that should never be concealed from the public in a free society. Such a confidentiality agreement should be void as a matter of public policy.

Mar 11, 2004
That or they witness first hand how hand outs keep people down. Why work hard or better yourself when big brothers checks in the mail every month? At the same time if they go to work big brother steals from their paycheck to give it to others that don't work. I've met a lot of idiots that say they collect welfare because billy bob does it too, billy joe feels hes losing out not signing up, even though he says welfare is bullshit and hates his taxes going to people that don't work so why shouldn't he take advantage too?

That reeks strongly of bullshit. I'm talking about the last part since I assume you were trying to be deliberately facetious with the first part. You have to actually qualify for welfare, and it is not exactly a quick and easy process (despite what people claim). So either they're lying, they actually are worse off than they claim (or maybe than they realize), or this is parroting the made up bullshit that people on Facebook post because they don't know WTF they're talking about.

I'm not saying there aren't idiots that have or are on welfare that disparage others that are (either arguing that they themselves are more deserving and some other person shouldn't get it, whilst not actually knowing the person's situation). There's a lot of projection about what people think other people are like, and people lie. I know lots of people that lie acting like they're better off than they are just to keep from people feeling sorry for them or being embarrassed. But that often gets twisted into people having derision for them if they actually do use help they need. Its some bullshit double standard of human personality, where its better to put on airs than get real help to get to a better place.

Mar 11, 2004
Technically it was an official US investigation. The taxpayers are on the hook for the settlement.

The confidentiality agreement though, is absolute and total BS and is outrageous. The only purpose of the confidentiality agreement is to protect the PUBLIC OFFICIAL from embarrassment for his misconduct or errors committed in his official capacity. That is something that should never be concealed from the public in a free society. Such a confidentiality agreement should be void as a matter of public policy.

Well obviously, although that's kinda why it pisses people off. If the jackasses that perpetuated that farce had to pay for it themselves or with money from their benefactors pushing for that garbage, I don't think anyone would be complaining. But, no, we the people are on the hook for shit like that.

That can't be, politicians tell us they're all about transparency!

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
That was an interpretation I read about people in eastern KY and parts of West Virginia. It was very weird pride complex.
Pride complexes are complex because they are based not in pride but in feelings of inferiority that a convoluted sense of pride aims to hide.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Just how wise would it be if a powerful majority of people decided to vote to make themselves rich instead of 1%? What kind of debt would there be then? Progressive politics, in my opinion, should be based on spending within limits that are carefully crafted and means tested for efficiency. The poor may be best served by government owned and managed farms that poor people can live on and be self supporting, or any of millions of innovations that can be tried by the states and measured for success. The key to saving America, in my opinion, is in maximizing human dignity. We gives a fuck about money if you have a happy healthy, stable, and secure life.