Trend Micro Internet Security 14 and Vista

strich

Jun 23, 2005
About a month ago, i purchased a new pc from Dell. It came installed with Windows Vista Premium Home Ed. With the pc came Trend Micro's Internet Security 14. I've had past versions of TM's products and have been fairly pleased with them, so i was happy that i was getting I.S. with this new pc. Problem is, Vista has this issue with security and running apps that when trying to update, they never do until you set the application 'as an administrator'. Kind of a drag, but if it's an easy fix/work-around, I'll happily do it. Unfortunately, I've not been able to get I.S. to respond to the 'administrator' work around and constantly get kicked out of games and apps, because I.S. just will not update. It prompts me to patch/update and then reboot. When i do this, it tries to install the exact same patch. It's a vicious cycle. I got tired of playing this game and constantly getting kicked of apps to update or run scans. So i uninstaller it and installed a copy of AVG-free. I know it's a reliable app, but I'm thinking i hosed myself even worse.

Yesterday, i was closing out my email and my pc froze. Nothing would respond, so i hard booted and after about 45 seconds from boot up, it all quit responding again. This happened another 5 times until i got the CHKdisk screen telling me that files were corrupted and no longer working. This happened a few times and then when the pc finally gets to logging in, i go thru a process of my system goes extremely slow and erratic and I get the spinning circle that Vista has as its hourglass and all applications showing up with "(Not Responding)" in their title bars. While it is in this state, I naturally want to see what process is eating up the CPU (though the CPU gadget shows nothing amazing). However, when I press Ctrl+Alt+Del, all I get after a delay is a black screen and a dialogue box saying:

Login process has failed to create the security options dialog.

Failure - security options.

[OK]
I finally got it to boot and ran a defrag on the HDD. This morning, i booted up and the same thing happened after less than two minutes. I hit CTRL+ALT+DEL and a black screen and then the same error as above.

i quickly uninstalled AVG thinking this all started after installing it and I've contacted Trend Micro to see if they can help out.

I apologize for being so long winded, but I'm frustrated and would love to fix this. I'd love if anyone had any ideas. If it's reinstalling TM, I'm fine with that, but I'd like to be able to have it update and not kick me out of my apps to run a scan or update.

strich

Jan 6, 2005
That really sucks, I had a funny problem with Trend Micro that I capture a screenshot of on my site, but this sounds like something pretty systemic...
Try doing a restoration. It sounds like your system is having problems finding certain objects or has something corrupted:
  1. boot off of your install CD a go through the first steps
  1. on the bottom of the Install screen, Click on the "Repair Your Computer"
  1. System recovery options will search for your Windows Vista install
  1. when the Vista installation has been located, select it and hit Next
  1. The following set of recovery options will show up:
Startup repair - Fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
System Restore - Restores Windows to an earlier point
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - Diag your computer's memory
Command Prompt - Command Window

Select System Restore and select a time frame prior to deleting Trend Micro. This will work so long as you havn't disabled system restore.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I am using the same thing "Trend Micro's Internet Security 14" from Dell on an Inspiron 1501. The notebook came with Windows MCE and I installed clean Vista Home Premium and renstalled the Trend Micro's Internet Security 14. It works great and updates without any problems.... Maybe you should just reinstall it.

pcgeek11

strich

Jun 23, 2005
That really sucks, I had a funny problem with Trend Micro that I capture a screenshot of on my site, but this sounds like something pretty systemic...
Try doing a restoration. It sounds like your system is having problems finding certain objects or has something corrupted:

boot off of your install CD a go through the first steps

on the bottom of the Install screen, Click on the "Repair Your Computer"

System recovery options will search for your Windows Vista install

when the Vista installation has been located, select it and hit Next

The following set of recovery options will show up:

Startup repair - Fixes problems that are preventing Windows from starting
System Restore - Restores Windows to an earlier point
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool - Diag your computer's memory
Command Prompt - Command Window

Select System Restore and select a time frame prior to deleting Trend Micro. This will work so long as you havn't disabled system restore.

First thing i did yesterday was attempt to restore from a point previous to uninstalling TM14 and every single restore point, before and after, gave me a message that the points weren't valid or had been somehow corrupted, so none of them were viable. I uninstalled AVG and reinstalled TM14 and am still having some background apps (dlls) that are dying and the error that i posted in the original post is still plaguing me. It seizes up my entire system and i feel lucky on a reboot if i'm able to get things running smoothly. And that usually takes an additional 10 minutes after bootup to get through all the errors and kill the offending, locked up processes.

I've not seen startup repair. Does this just replace corrupted files in an attempt to fix the problem? I know i can just reinstall everything from the beginning. Dell stores a copy of the factory build on a partition, but i'm hoping to avoid this as i'm not thrilled about reinstalling everything all over again. Then again, i may not have an option.

Thanks for the input, i'll give this a try tonight when i get home.