Trees hanging out into sidewalk, blocking it, city won't do anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrillBee

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2005
I have a sidewalk that I walk on to get to my work and there are numerous shrubs and trees that over hang into the sidewalk that only someone under 5 ft tall could pass under.
The trees are on the side of the sidewalk which is adjacent to the private property.

I have called the city and asked them to do something about this and they haven't done anything yet (that was 2 months ago).

I talked to the private property owner and they told me that they are busy and won't get to it until the end of fall.

All I want is 7 feet of clearance from the ground on up, and I don't want anything overhanging the paved portion.

Would I get in trouble for cutting the stuff that overhangs the sidewalk?

theflyingpig

Banned
Mar 9, 2008
Would I get in trouble for cutting the stuff that overhangs the sidewalk?

Yes. Do things the American way and bring a frivolous lawsuit against the owner and the city.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Do something about it! Get yourself some concrete and build the sidewalk out around the tree.

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm. I dunno. It's well established that anything plant related overhanging public property is.. public property. I don't think you would get in trouble for cutting it, just like the city wouldn't get in trouble for cutting it.

I could be wrong though, as government and logic don't always mesh.

txrandom

Diamond Member
Aug 15, 2004
The sidewalks around my hometown would get overgrown with bushes and trees hanging over. Every once in a while some runner would take some clippers and clean it up for everyone. Most people appreciated it and never heard about him getting in trouble.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
1. Go out at night and cut part of it down yourself.
2. Lay underneath the branch like it fell on you.
3. Tell someone to take video and send it to the local news.
4. It will become an issue that decides the mayoral election next season.

Enjoy.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
go at night and poison the tree

Just pour concentrated muriatic acid around the base. They won't be there long after that.

Many many years ago there was some bushes that were on private property in my neighborhood that were dangerous because they completely blocked the view while trying to pull out into moving traffic. Complaints were made all the time but nothing was ever done until one night one of my friends tied all the bushes together with a rope and hooked it to the bumper of his truck and dragged them down the street. We then had a perfect view while driving.

xSauronx

Lifer
Jul 14, 2000
I talked to the private property owner and they told me that they are busy and won't get to it until the end of fall.

ask the property owner if he minds you doing it? hell, if you need to, ask if he has tools and offer to do it if he lets you borrow his shit. you get what you want, he doesnt have to do the work, everyone wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.