Traveling to Japan

somethingwitty

Golden Member
Aug 1, 2000
So I've got a nice Japan Honeymoon planned in August - visiting Tokyo, Kyoto & Hiroshima. Over the last couple of days, I've been trying to follow the issues at the nuclear power plant, specifically the radioactive spill into the Sea of Japan.

I'm probably just looking for reassurances that this is still safe...so, how would I look into possible impacts (particularly on Fish - sushi fan; though also air quality, drinking water, etc) and convince myself that I probably won't hear about a huge health issue down the road?

I haven't heard of any IAEA involvement yet, and so far only see "official comments" that the levels released are within allowable levels. Any other info/links would be great.

thanks much.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: somethingwitty
So I've got a nice Japan Honeymoon planned in August - visiting Tokyo, Kyoto & Hiroshima. Over the last couple of days, I've been trying to follow the issues at the nuclear power plant, specifically the radioactive spill into the Sea of Japan.

I'm probably just looking for reassurances that this is still safe...so, how would I look into possible impacts (particularly on Fish - sushi fan; though also air quality, drinking water, etc) and convince myself that I probably won't hear about a huge health issue down the road?

I haven't heard of any IAEA involvement yet, and so far only see "official comments" that the levels released are within allowable levels. Any other info/links would be great.

thanks much.

Beware!

Sukhoi

Elite Member
Dec 5, 1999
You mean that spill that was something like one billionth of the daily allowed amount?

Oct 25, 2006
I recommend it. It's great there. There is a slight danger, but its not significant. They have awesome warning systems, so you are more or less safe.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
Originally posted by: mooglemania85
Originally posted by: somethingwitty

thanks much.

Beware!

Ya, isn't this how every Godzilla movie begins?

NiteWulf

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2003
There is zero danger. Zero.

There's no guarantee there won't be another earthquake, but you're safe from radiation

Oct 25, 2006
Oh yeah, also, try to talk to people who wear bright colored suits and have tattoos all over their body. They give candy.