Traveling to India for Work -- What are best options for streaming?

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
I'll be visiting India for a few weeks, and would really love to be able to stream (GoT will be in full-swing at this point :D). What are my best options here? VPN? I'll be honest, I know hardly anything about VPNs. I've dabbled with Vypr a bit, but that's the extent of my experience :D

ControlD

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2005
If your trip to India goes like any of mine, you will be doing plenty of streaming just not the kind you were hoping for :)

I never had good enough internet service on any of my trips (hotel WiFi was terrible) to even attempt streaming anything. Good luck though and I would be curious to hear how it works out. I haven't been there for awhile so maybe service has improved since then.

cyclistca

Platinum Member
Dec 5, 2000
Bring a good book. When I was there the power grid was so unstable you'll be lucky if you have power.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Traveling to India for Work -- What are best options for streaming?
The Ganges
5TRFaN0.jpg

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Lots of the folks here have traveled to Chennai for work. Pretty sure your wifi there will be decent in the hotel. Not sure about VPN or regional streaming lockouts or any of that stuff though.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Why don't you wait till you get there? The local tech support must be spectacular.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
If you end up in Mumbai, you'll have plenty of options with regards to high speed internet. I'm currently using a 10mbps plan which manages to stream Netflix in what I'm assuming is the highest quality. You'll get higher speeds as well but they'll charge you a lot for it and some of them have their data capped.
If you're going to any of the non-metropolitan areas then I'm afraid you're going to have a horrid time with regards to internet.

JM Aggie08

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
If you end up in Mumbai, you'll have plenty of options with regards to high speed internet. I'm currently using a 10mbps plan which manages to stream Netflix in what I'm assuming is the highest quality. You'll get higher speeds as well but they'll charge you a lot for it and some of them have their data capped.
If you're going to any of the non-metropolitan areas then I'm afraid you're going to have a horrid time with regards to internet.

Are you having to use a VPN, or are you able to access Netflix just fine?

I'll be in Chennai for a couple weeks, followed by Delhi for a little bit.