Travel coffee mugs

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I have not really found one I like myself. Typically I don't like to drink straight from them as they are often awkward to drink from but also because the coffee will be too hot. Most of the ones I tried "sputter" when you try to pour so it makes a mess. I also find they are typically very unstable in the cup holder so I'm spending the whole time driving with one hand trying to hold it otherwise it will just bounce right out. Our roads are terrible.

The best one I found was actually not a travel mug but a thermos carafe.

This does not exactly solve the cup holder problem though but because it's shape I'd usually get away just placing it on the passenger seat and using the seat belt so it does not go flying.

Been a while since I brought it to work though, I just end up brewing my coffee at work most of the time, easier.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006

Picked a couple of those up 6 years ago. One cracked lid (that still works, its just cracked), otherwise going strong.

Frankly I've more or less hated every other travel mug with their weird shapes and weird lids and weird cleaning requirements. No major heartbreak if I accidentally forget one somewhere no big deal.

That said I tend to drink coffee on the drive to work, and don't really do anything particularly crazy with my travel mugs.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My wife has one of those Zojirushi vaccum insulated bottles (I still don't call them mugs!) to keep her tea hot when we travel. I have a Yeti mug that has been serving me well.
I may still use my Contigos for in the car because it won't be tippy and they won't link in that usage. But the Zojirushi won't leak no matter what, has a locking mechanism, keeps liquids hot or cold for a really long time and everybody says it is easily cleaned. They say the lid disassembles for cleaning. Cleaning the Contigo lids is impossible. You can try, you can make it look better but you can't really clean it.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My wife has one of those Zojirushi vaccum insulated bottles (I still don't call them mugs!) to keep her tea hot when we travel. I have a Yeti mug that has been serving me well.
I like mine so far, the 14oz. It takes a long time for the seal on the lid to loosen up (i.e. break in), meaning it's hard to remove. But after a few months of "constant" usage it loosens and becomes optimal. I wonder if the seal wears out eventually, it's some kind of black rubber, sort of ribbed. So far both of my 14oz Yeti mugs have held up and seem to work perfectly. No moving parts, they are the soul of simplicity, very stable. They are fairly good at keeping my coffee hot/warm. After 4 hours, nothing like hot, a little warm though, but judging from the reviews of the Zojirushi, it is far better in terms of thermal insulation. If you want to be able to drink out of it in the first few hours, make sure the contents aren't all that hot to begin with. I don't expect that will bother me. The lid can be flipped up and left open a few minutes, which should cool down the contents as needed. Someone who reviewed it recently made a really cool 48 second video showing how it works. Sorting the reviews by most recent first brings it up quickly, it's the 29th review going back in time and the 9th on this page:

The Best Buy ever <--- Linky!
Reviewed in the United States on May 11, 2022
Color: Vivid OrangeCapacity: 20 ounces Verified Purchase

Play Video

I use it for coffee only and it keep my coffee very hot. I put my coffee in at 7am and it still hot at 8pm that excellent.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Looking for more info, found this. She doesn't post temperatures but she has the Zoji clear winner over the Hydro Flask. ~7 minutes, she says it around 5+ minutes in, "Winner!!!" for keeping water hot.

This one's quick:

Looking around, the Zoji's get high marks/reviews. Ease of use, temperature retention, leak proof. Add to that, they are light, cleanable.

Last edited:

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
No Zojirushi, but a solid test:

If they've tested something you're in the process of shopping for (mainly tools) that YT channel is a no-brainer.... occasionally I take issue with the way they test but it's rare.

Overall I trust their results. :)

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
If they've tested something you're in the process of shopping for (mainly tools) that YT channel is a no-brainer.... occasionally I take issue with the way they test but it's rare.

Overall I trust their results. :)
I trust them too, and ordered the Coleman.

Reactions: Captante