Transferring files from work PC to home.

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
How do I transfer files from my work PC to my home system? I'm running Win2K SP2 on both systems, ZoneAlarm at home, and a pretty heavy duty firewall at work. But, I can FTP to my old ISP using IE's FTP interface. I'm on ATTBI now... I entered my work IP into ZoneAlarm's local zone but I can't even ping my home system from work?? :confused: I just get request timeouts. My setup is a Motorla SB4100 cable modem running right into my Linksys NIC. I enabled File & Print Sharing and shared a directory. Preferably I would like to implement something fairly simple as I don't need to do this often...

When I get home today, I'll check the ZA log to see if it had any ping requests from my work IP.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001

<< When I get home today, I'll check the ZA log to see if it had any ping requests from my work IP. >>

You should see them, I'm running with ATTBI and I can ping my box at home.

-Spy

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
So since I can't ping it, do you think that means the ATT system is down? I know when I tried to POP my mail this morning it couldn't find the server. So can I just FTP to my IP and see everything??

I know I could just burn the stuff on a CD but thats not as cool!

techshock

May 1, 2002
more then likely your work is blocking all forms of ICMP packets in and out of the network. This is definitely not uncomon for network admins to do, every network i've admin'd has blocked ICMP in and out. your best bet is to use ftp like u said.

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
that and by default a machine with zone alarm installed on it wont reply to pings....

-Spy

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
I'm not familiar with all the networking lingo. Is an ICMP how a ping is done? But pinging anything else in the world works! So to use FTP, can I just type: ftp://ftp.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into the IE address bar and it will connect to my PC?? Or use WS-FTP?? Then just config ZA to allow connections from my work IP?? I'm confused, help! :D

spyordie007

Diamond Member
May 28, 2001
ICMP, TCP, UDP, etc...
These are networking protocols, many network admins block protocols from going in/out for security reasons.

-Spy

techshock

May 1, 2002
ahhh, u can ping other hosts from work but not ur home machine. reason why you may not beable to ping is this: you said you entered your work ip into zonealarm. did you enter a specific network range? or a specific host? in order to save costs and better manage ip addressing most networks filter external traffic through a proxy/firewall that performs NAT. NAT, to sum it up in a few words, translates one address to another and vise versa. So at work your internal machine may have an address of 10.1.10.100, which is a reserved address range. When you surf the net or do anything else outside of your works network your traffic is routed to a device that performs NAT. Some form of NAT has to be done due to the internal address range you are using. It cannot be routed on the internet, so NAT basically associates, temporarly, your internal address with an external one. There are a few ranges set aside for internal addressing they are: 10.x.x.x , 192.168.x.x , 172.16.x.x to i think 172.19.x.x ( i forget the exact range on that one). Also Microsoft has their own range of 169.254.x.x . Lucky them. Check to see what your computer at work has for an ip address. If it falls into one of the ranges i just listed then you will need to find out what external range you use for work. Just enter that entire range into ZoneAlarm and you should be good to go. I hope this help. If its to confusing let me know! =]

nebula

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
thanks techshock, I think that they may be part of the problem. But I'm having some other issues... When I got home, ZA had no notifications that my box had been pinged, or a request for one. Unless I'm wrong, it should have, regardless of where I was pinging it from. I'm going to start another thread shortly because I can't even got on the internet anymore, don't know what happened. If you could, watch for it, sounds like you may be able to help!