Traffic sucks!!!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Gawd I hate traffic with a passion. I left home early today so that I could meet up with MaxFPS before class at NC State (I live about 45 mins from school).

I leave at 8:15 so that I can get there in time to park at Varsity and catch the 9:23 bus back to campus. But ohh no. Nothing ever works out for Brandon. Get about 30mins into the trip and I get caught up in bumper to bumper traffic. This goes on for 45 *^% damn minutes moving at like 5MPH. So I'm sitting there burning gas having to crank that AC (Damn you OPEC:|).

When the traffic clears, there not even any accidents around on this two lane stretch. Bastards make me sick.

Got to school and missed the 9:23 bus and had to park at the pay lots in Dan Allen Parking Deck. $3 for a damn parking pass for 3 hours and then I punched in the wrong damn parking spot # in the machine (I was in 7 and I hit 6). So I had to wait for the dude to pull up in 6 so that I could switch tickets with him. Good thing he was set for 3 hours too.

Damn this is gonna be a long day :|

Brooks

Banned
Oct 9, 1999
Yes I hate traffic also. I am a calm and collected person but when I get behind thick traffic, unless I'm in NO rush at all I turn into a raging monster. And you should see me cursing when its not just the traffic as a whole, but an actual and specific driver causing the hold up of many behind him or her. Granted, most of the time after i"m cursing I'm also laughing because I'm kind of doing it to mock the people who really get mad driving...but I am turning into one of them.

Don't even get me started with people and four-way stops. Its a simple thing to do BUT PEOPLE ARE CONSTANTLY PISSING ME OFF AT THE 4-WAY STOPS. GRR!! I actually enter them now with my hand over the horn just in case, thats how bad it is.

Brooks

convex

Banned
May 24, 2000
I drive a pretty big truck...i don't have the slightest problem with people trying to pull out before me at 4ways ;)

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
I find it slow because of the idiots who keep braking by pulling ahead and stoping which causes everyone to stop plus the on ramp people getting in. What makes me sick is that the traffic might be caused by people moving slow up ahead or some merging going on way the hell up the freeway.

PEOPLE KEEP IT MOVING!!!! QUIT BRAKING ALL THE TIME!!!!

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
There isn't much traffic in my town of 15,000 people in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Haha.

eagle

Wangel

Banned
Mar 30, 2000
The neatest thing about traffic, is to see what everyone has slowed down for. I remember a big traffic jam where there was this girl changing a bicycle flat tire on the side of the road. She was wearing tight spandex shorts and a halter top. The speed limit was 45, but many of the drivers were slowing to 5 or 10 to catch a glimpse.

Normally a traffic accident or dead animal is enough to make most peole slow down.

geno

Lifer
Dec 26, 1999
We have a few four way intersections around here with flashing reds and yellows. Red means stop for the oncoming traffic, the yellow means slow down and proceed with caustion - not stop for the people at the flashing reds!! I'll be sitting at the flashing red, and someone will come to a complete stop at the yellow and they start beeping at me!!! So I say screw it and just go.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Often I will drive through Beverly Hills to get home to "The Valley" ;). It seems to me some people there seem to think the person with the best car goes first at 4way stops. :) Eye contact is hard to make nowadays with so many dark tinted windows. You can't even see them.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hehe, once I finally got back to 65MPH, the west-bound lane had traffic backed up for miles.

All b/c someone was getting their jumped off by another motorist on the side of the road. I just let out a big laugh after what I had been through ;)

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Daedalus knows my pain. I'm in Los Angeles. The most traveled strip of freeway in the world, (the 405 between LAX and the valley)is conveniently the one that I have to travel to get from school to my parents house.

I stayed at my parents place on the 4th of July, and I had to be at work at 10, but my friend had to be home by 7:15 so we left at 6. There was already traffic on the freeway by then!! By 6 a.m.!!:eek: It's absurd the amount of ppl that are always driving somewhere in LA. I've seen traffic on this stretch at 2 A.M too.

You gotta allow yourself "traffic time" whenever you're going somewhere. My trip on that stretch can take 45 minutes with traffic, most of the time, I get off the freeway and just take the streets, but if it's flowing, my record is 14 minutes. You kind of have to know the traffic pattern, when it's not even worth getting on the freeway.

I've come to the conclusion that traffic is inevitable, so I can't let it bug me. I just sit back and stay in the same lane and try to chill out. :D It doesn't always work tho :eek:

late.

TDP

MrsSkywalker

Jun 30, 2000
I live in a town of about 2,500 people. Total. Half the roads are unpaved, and the ones that are paved are full of potholes and frost heaves...and they all wind through the hills and forsests. The majority of accidents are caused not by people, but by moose, deer, and bears in the road. So, I have a different kind of traffic problem :)

Mday

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
even if i had a license and a car, driving to school would kill me. I live in brooklyn, and go to NYU and stevens tech across the river in hoboken (castle point). you know NYC parking is expensive as hell... and the tunnel to jersey, it's a MESS.

Daedalus

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Dancing Peacock, Could there be anything worse than the junction of the 405 and the 101 during rush hour? If you're going south on that sucker, get there before 6am or not much after and you'll be ok normally. After 7 it's real Hell. ;) Construction is adding to the woes right now too.

Paul

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Don't drive during rush hour. I either go to the gym or grab a bite to eat during those times.

ratkil

Platinum Member
Jan 12, 2000
Hey Eagle, you wouldn't be in Houghton by any chance would you???

I can usually stay pretty calm in traffic, but if I am trying to get somewhere in a hurry, the blood pressure rises......it is annoying to finally get to where the slow down started and see nothing wrong. That means someone hit their brakes for some reason and caused a chain reaction that will completely stop a freeway......

Stosh

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
Katonburg, I know what your talking about. I've been living in the Washington area for 14 years now. I've never seen anything worse. The Virginia side of the beltway has to have one of of the worst traffic jams in the country.

Doesn't it always seem there is either an accident or a broken down car on the Virgina side of the Wilson Bridge. (Or on the bridge)

For the last year, I have worked in DC. Luckily, I miss all that nonsense. I take Suitland Pky straight into DC, minimal backups. It also helps that I start work at 6:30 in the morning.

Boiker

Feb 3, 2000
too bad you guys aren't in chicagoland.

we have one of satans gifts EVERYWHERE the tollroad. enough said

Also, my friend lives 15 miles from downtown chicago, on a good day driving on the Edens Expy it takes approx 50 minutes to get from downotown to his place or vice versa. I don't know how that stacks up against other areas, but it some of the worse traffic i've dealt with.

Boik

Viper22

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Driving in DC SCUKS!!! I hate it with a passion. If im ever going to DC i just take the damn metro its easier. LA Traffic sucks also at least it has when ive been out there for E3.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Hey -- All we need is a good portable machine and a cellular ISP, and we can post here when we're stuck in traffic. It won't speed things up, but at least we'd have a place to bitch about it. :Q ;)