tracking internet usage at work?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
I started a job a few weeks ago and its pretty much all infront of the computer. Certain sites are blocked but my co workers check the news in the morning, and 3 of 4 of them use internet radio. When I am at work I have some sites open sometime and have jumped on meebo once to get in contact with someone...should i worry?

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: ric1287
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: FoBoT
post the email so we can give you the best advice on getting fired</end quote></div>

"As I have told you before, I am not your babysitter. STAY OFF THE INTERNET. Unless it is work related, and yes, I know the difference, you are not to be on it. Don't think you're fooling anyone when you click on and off to hide it. We have the ability to monitor the time and sites you are going to. We will be monitoring same and we may dock your pay for the amount of time you spend on sites that are not work related. Just so we are all clear, STAY OFF THE INTERNET. Stop acting like sneaky thieves. "

there you go :)

off to the train now

Wow, what a professional email! What a moron.

JohnCU

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
wow, i just got an email from my boss saying to "limit non-business use of the internet." must be a summer thing.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
There are a few software out there that can block/track your every movements, they are content management systems. They can filter out what you send though IM, emails, web attachments, etc... or take screenshots of your desktop at interval. Depends on how large your company is, and how deep their pockets are, they may have something in place that will do what you think they're doing.

Yes, we're watching you.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
yeah i'm just gonna risk it i guess. They can't say i dont get anything done since i finish all my work. I should be quitting soon anyways, so woop dee doo i guess.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill
Haha, what a horrible email to send out. Is your boss a 10th grader?

haha, yeah its a pretty relaxed office with not too many 'pc' people around. ie, alot of what whiners would consider sexual harrassment, etc.

ppdes

May 16, 2004
If they allow portable media you can spider favorite sites onto that each night and bring it in.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Using SurfControl we get clicks, type of site, time spend between clicks, etc.

Logs are not really used so much in day to day doings...but should performance slip; it's one of the first things a manager will request.

I generate a ton of logs. Problem is I am not the typical user that sits and reads a full page. I google up stuff, get my answer and have moved on usually before the page fully loads.

ric1287

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2005
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Logs are not really used so much in day to day doings...but should performance slip; it's one of the first things a manager will request.

I generate a ton of logs. Problem is I am not the typical user that sits and reads a full page. I google up stuff, get my answer and have moved on usually before the page fully loads.

yeah thats what i am figuring. I get all my work done, so they should have no reason to check my logs. But if they did, man, they would realize how little work i do. haha

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
One of my co-workers got busted playing yahoo pool during work.

My boss logged into yahoo, joined his game, and brought up a very interesting conversation.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: alkemyst

I use Surfcontrol as well. I had management approve a list of OK'ed sites that I do not monitor. It really helps keep the database cleaned up.